Tiger's chipping

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm literally crying in pain watching him chip. Even using a 4 iron to avoid a mis-hit.

Not sure if he should keep honing his "new pattern" or go back to the old way of chipping.

I think it's bs you need to use the same swing for full swing and short game.

I'm not in the camp that believes it's a mental issue/yips although it's heading that way if this continues.

As a tiger fan I really hope he can fix this.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Foley made the BIG change....he thought the short game backswing + through swing, should match the full swing pattern they had at the time.

But, folks in the know, know that Sean made a BIG SWITCH in what he was trying to do with Tiger after a pretty decent amount of time putting in a Stack & Tilt-like move. It was DRASTICALLY different.

Now, here come Chris, with some fairly obvious stuff to do in the full swing, more erect posture, longer swing, more shift, more throw....and this mishmash of a short game pattern...

It IS fixable.

The basic problem is there needs to be SOME energy in the club going back—or you have to "float" some in coming down. Meanwhile, plenty energy in the clubhead going back on the full swing.

Having had the pitching yips myself, I know they can be fixed. And one way or the other, they will be.

ZAP

New
Tiger looks like me in the few months after having my short game lesson with Kevin. It took me every bit of a year to feel comfortable but then again I have a full time job and a family so my practice time is a little more limited than Tiger's is.

He will be fine.

I had the pitching yips and they haunt me to this day. The only thing that helps (other than hit a million balls) is to make sure I have a bit of body turn in the pitching motion, especially in the forward motion. If I forget that and get too much hands/arms I start hitting it fat, then thin, then fat....then I'm a mess. I can remember a time when I putted absolutely everything I could within 5-10 yards of the green. My friends would laugh until I threw wedges at them.

Paul Runyan makes an interesting point in this video about how "unorthodox" his chipping was, and Ben Hogan's commentary. I found it entertaining given this weekend's performance by Tiger:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEcuqPF1DM8

If you watch Runyan pitch the ball in his other instructional videos, he definitely seems to float load the club on the way through.

=Has modern teaching for pitching and chipping techniques gotten too stiff and taken the feel out of it?

Not sure if he should keep honing his "new pattern" or go back to the old way of chipping.

I think it's bs you need to use the same swing for full swing and short game.

I'm not in the camp that believes it's a mental issue/yips although it's heading that way if this continues.

As a tiger fan I really hope he can fix this.

You are not alone! I think this oversimplified nonsense has put his driving and his short game on the wrong path...

If one release worked for all shots, this game would be so easy I would probably stop playing it

I had the pitching yips and they haunt me to this day. The only thing that helps (other than hit a million balls) is to make sure I have a bit of body turn in the pitching motion, especially in the forward motion. If I forget that and get too much hands/arms I start hitting it fat, then thin, then fat....then I'm a mess. I can remember a time when I putted absolutely everything I could within 5-10 yards of the green. My friends would laugh until I threw wedges at them.

I remember I had the pitching yips (how can you forget something so painful!).

EVERYONE, and I mean EVERYONE, told me the solution was to keep turning through impact. Went to everyone imaginable looking for an answer. Everyone told me the same thing. AND IT DIDN'T WORK. That's when I had it confirmed to me for life that professionals, regardless of their field (be they doctors, teachers, lawyers or scientists), are mostly talking boolcrap. They are brainwashed robots. There ain't no correct answers other than the ones that actually solve the problems! Maybe this is where Tiger needs to change his approach and to be fair to him his use of the word "consultant" re CC is probably a good sign.

hue

New
Brian, Long time no see. I can see things are going well for you.
Can you go into detail on why Tiger is duffing chips and his previous patterns of chipping and why the changes are causing him issues? Also when Tiger was at his best how did you rate his technique? Did he have A1 technique which he was really good at or slightly suspect chipping technique that he was brilliant at making work? It seems most tour pros go for very quiet legs with the chipping stroke dominated by the upper body but Tiger had quite a lot of leg movement towards the target in the down stroke that got the hands ahead at impact?

You are exactly correct that my pitching key may not work for you and that you have to find what works for you AND THEN HIT A MILLION BALLS to get it into your coconut (thanks for that one, Ben Doyle).

I remember I had the pitching yips (how can you forget something so painful!).

EVERYONE, and I mean EVERYONE, told me the solution was to keep turning through impact. Went to everyone imaginable looking for an answer. Everyone told me the same thing. AND IT DIDN'T WORK. That's when I had it confirmed to me for life that professionals, regardless of their field (be they doctors, teachers, lawyers or scientists), are mostly talking boolcrap. They are brainwashed robots. There ain't no correct answers other than the ones that actually solve the problems! Maybe this is where Tiger needs to change his approach and to be fair to him his use of the word "consultant" re CC is probably a good sign.

Watching the clips on TGC today of him chipping balls out of the rough in the practice round, no bueno...also seeing him practicing right hand only chips. The right hand in chipping (from my experience) can add height to the trajectory at low speeds, but requires speed to put enough spin to predictably control the shot (think flops & pitches). Good chips look easy and what he is doing does not, too many levers, too many independently moving parts. The club looks like it loses when it interacts with the turf in any way. A firmer, slightly flatter left wrist would hide so many of these short game woes and IMO is a necessary addition to what he is currently trying to do. JMO...

Pulling hard for him and CC to sort it out

You are exactly correct that my pitching key may not work for you and that you have to find what works for you AND THEN HIT A MILLION BALLS to get it into your coconut (thanks for that one, Ben Doyle).

If you find the right answer a couple of hundred balls will be enough. If you don't ten million won't solve it.

If you are coming off the pitching yips a couple hundred balls won't do it. This is from a former yipper. It's sort of like being an alcoholic, it's always there in the back of your mind. The cure is good technique and a million balls, maybe a billion. :)

If you find the right answer a couple of hundred balls will be enough. If you don't ten million won't solve it.

A dozen well hit clutch pitches under pressure in a tournament is a better indicator of "curing the yips" than 1000 perfectly hit ones on the range.

Status
Not open for further replies.