Tiger's Head Movement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every single forum guy on this planet thinks they can fix Tiger by eliminating his head bob. My question is do you think it's just to much "sit down"? Or can it be traced back even further to an over aggressive start down? Or can he drive it well with this sit down if he changed something else?

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Tiger has 2 main issues

1) He over rotates his left arm, gets a little under the sweetspot, and can't always get back from that position.

2) When he really goes after one, he squats too much.

-------

1 is easily fixed and 2 is just something he'll fight forever no matter who he goes too.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Jim,
Haven't you also stated that Tiger has a tendency to swing too far to the right.

Yup, but a lot of that is due to him being under plane at the top and his under plane at the top is due to his over rotated left arm. So if you fixed the arm you'd fix the MAJORITY of his swing to the right issue.

I mean you won't fix all of it cuz he likes to do it and also shifts to the eblow plane, but it wouldn't happen so often.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
For the 10 millionth time...

Tiger (and everyone else on earth who can break an egg) bobbs his head because he starts with his neck too far up.

Like every woman on the LPGA Tour.

!!!!

If you set-up like NICKLAUS, neck parallel to the ground,

YOU WON'T BOB!!!

Is that Tiger's problem?

Nope.

Path (plane line) and clubface issues.

PERIOD!

I've noticed that having my head lower does encourage less movement. Do you have any suggestions for avoiding chin/shoulder collisions?

I used to do the head turn, but I got away from it when I stopped wearing contacts. The ball "moves" when it leaves the field of vision of my glasses, so I began keeping my nose facing the ball, to keep the ball still.

He only seems to bob with the driver. Is it possible that he bobs when trying to add a wee bit more of omph? I see it as more of a forceful pull that loads the shaft, than the reason why he wasn't as successful during the 2nd round.

< The guy to my left would make a fine model for Tiger.

Last edited:
Yup, but a lot of that is due to him being under plane at the top and his under plane at the top is due to his over rotated left arm. So if you fixed the arm you'd fix the MAJORITY of his swing to the right issue.

I mean you won't fix all of it cuz he likes to do it and also shifts to the eblow plane, but it wouldn't happen so often.

How does one get the left arm rotation?

lia41985

jerry 1967--it's called pronation of the left arm. With your arm straight out in front of you, face the palm towards the sky. Now rotate the hand arm clockwise (thumb moves from 9 to 3 o'clock). Stop when the palm faces the ground. This is 180* of left arm rotation.

To ingrain this feeling into a golf-like movement, the rotation would occur as the club is moving onto the plane. Just as you could twistaway to get the club on the plane to start the backswing, you can use left arm rotation to start off, which is what Tiger does--sometimes too much!

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
jerry 1967--it's called pronation of the left arm. With your arm straight out in front of you, face the palm towards the sky. Now rotate the hand arm clockwise (thumb moves from 9 to 3 o'clock). Stop when the palm faces the ground. This is 180* of left arm rotation.

To ingrain this feeling into a golf-like movement, the rotation would occur as the club is moving onto the plane. Just as you could twistaway to get the club on the plane to start the backswing, you can use left arm rotation to start off, which is what Tiger does--sometimes too much!

180* is actually too much left arm rotation. you should start with your palm facing "east" and the feeling is going "palm down" in the backswing.

Also, the twistaway and left arm rotation are separate items. Even when using the twistaway, you still have to allow the left arm to rotate, it's just it does it less because people who need the twistaway over rotate the left arm.

"you still have to allow the left arm to rotate,"

My left arm does not want to rotate at all. Which results in a hooded club face going back and so I have a built in hook.

How do I allow it to rotate automatic?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.