Tom Bartlett

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:Originally posted by jim_0068

quote:Originally posted by Vaako

Two things I don't really buy:

1. Slow twitch muscle type persons having much bigger lower bodies.

2. Golfswing being so explosive an act you must have fast twitch (type IIb) as dominant muscle type to be competitive.

Vaako

I never said either of the above:
quote:Usually people who are more slow twitched have much bigger lower bodies, why i don't remember

Notice i said usually, this comes from discussions with many personal trainers who are competitive body builders. In their experience this is what they find. Not always, but usually.

Yep, this I find curious.

From the shoulder, I don't see any Darwinistic reason more slow twitched people would end up having usually larger lower bodies. Why evolution would be skewed this way?

Guess the body builders are coming up w/ their own science.

Funny bunch them body builders. :)

quote:Originally posted by jim_0068
quote:phyisology is important and i know that many olympic teams use specific exercises to engage and develop the fast twitch muscles for certain events. One I know of for sure is the bombsledding and luge events.

Again, never said anything about "having" or "competitive." I was simply stating that it HELPS to maximize swing speed.

One thing that i didn't mention here is that strength does play a part for certain golfers in helping maximize swing speed. But you have to train accordingly.

This was where the thread was sorta pointing to.

Once we drift into long drive country, muscle fibre composition may become a major factor. But, like I said, I think muscle contraction speeds needed for golf can be handled by normal fibre distributions.

And any competitive advantage coming from having extreme fast fibers will probably melt away after hikking for 3 hours around the golf course to reach tee box number 14.

Again all this is IMHO, etc.

Vaako

While we are in athleticism and fat don't forget the ancient combat sport of SUMO! :)

There is an opinion that, if you want to maximice your strenght/muscle mass you are going to get fat in the process. Getting as strong as you can just isn't going to happen w/ bodyfat % in single digits.

Above would imply that people envolved in strenght contest where own bodyweight is not an issue (shot-put, hammer, super heavy division power lifting etc.) would be fat.

I think this line of thinking has merit.

Vaako

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Vaako....you are entitled you your opinion. You seem pretty knowledgeable. These people i'm referring to aren't just body builders, a couple of them are both physical therapists and personal trainers.

So i'm taking their word on what they tell me because they know more about it then me. They totally could be wrong.

But then it leaves the original questions again, why do some people swing faster than others with the same technique?

-----------------------------

Good catch with the Sumo wrestlers too, i remember reading an article about them and their strength. Since many of them don't weight train like we do in the states its hard to quantity their strength to weight ratio.

The article was something to the effect of showing Sumo Wrestlers how to Power lift on a bench bress and with about 30min of finding the right technique most of the sumo wrestlers were benching their own weight or even more!

Jim,

It's only an oppinion - and given my general track record I should be wrong. [:p]

You did ask a good guestion:

"But then it leaves the original questions again, why do some people swing faster than others with the same technique?"

My guess is we have a two part puzzle.

First being the quality of muscle co-ordination that can't be observed from the outside. If two players have identical pure swinger paterns, but first can't relax muscles opposing the swing, guess who's faster. One could make a case that these two swingers don't have exactly the same swing - it only appears so on the outside.

Second is size. Bigger the guy - harder/faster the whack.

I'd say technique will carry you a long way. Size alone isn't going to impress the golf ball. [Is this true - anyone?]

Vaako

Status
Not open for further replies.