TPI suggestion for speed increase training

Status
Not open for further replies.

hp12c

New
Indian clubs - nice! Had some friends who used them in the past. When I was personal training, I considered getting those, but I got out of it before I ever made that decision! Kettlebells are great though. I know there was a book at one point I think just called "Kettlebells for golf." A member of the Dragon Door training website was the writer if I'm not mistaken...

I dont have any of those nice looking meels, but I found that an 8lb. sledge hammer work pretty good too and cheaper, I havent advanced to 2 yet but slowly progressing. I also made a couple of meels out of am old 36 inch 3/4 round pipe and put a 10lb and 15lb plates and now I have to meels a 10lb and 15lb.

S

SteveT

Just for your information:
the highest levels of power output are from Olympic weightlifters doing cleans this has been scientifically proven. Also weight lifters were tested at the 1968 games and were faster over 10m than the 100m sprinters and had the highest vertical jump- higher than high jumpers.
Most athletes doing olympic sports that involve speed or speed strength do cleans as part of their routines.

This would suggest that these types of exercise have the potential for cross over to increased swing speed. However as I have found when taking up powerlifting, increases in strength only give so much increase to clubhead speed, once you get past a certain level of strength there is no additional increase in clubhead speed, for me this happened fairly early in my powerlifting career.

Interesting observations, and is it correct that pound-for-pound the smaller lifters are more powerful than the heavyweights?

Could you comment on your own experience when going from powerlifting to golf swinging if:

1. You found the powerlifting not particularly golf-specific.... instead it only stabilized your joints and overall balance when you rotated?

2. Powerlifting was body linear and not body rotative? What did you have to do to adapt to torso rotative movements and lateral weight shifts? Did you do any hammer throwing?

3. Body development for powerlifting created an impedance to arm or leg action... particularly your lead upper arm against your massive pecs forcing you into a 3/4 backswing? How about bulky upper legs?

4. Any other aspects you can provide. Thanks.

My own conversion to golf came after playing basketball and tennis at a reasonably high level. Both are not particularly golf-specific. Also due to a late entry age into golf, my body resisted change... but not my mind.

Last edited:
Interesting observations, and is it correct that pound-for-pound the smaller lifters are more powerful than the heavyweights?

Could you comment on your own experience when going from powerlifting to golf swinging if:

1. You found the powerlifting not particularly golf-specific.... instead it only stabilized your joints and overall balance when you rotated?

2. Powerlifting was body linear and not body rotative? What did you have to do to adapt to torso rotative movements and lateral weight shifts? Did you do any hammer throwing?

3. Body development for powerlifting created an impedance to arm or leg action... particularly your lead upper arm against your massive pecs forcing you into a 3/4 backswing? How about bulky upper legs?

4. Any other aspects you can provide. Thanks.

My own conversion to golf came after playing basketball and tennis at a reasonably high level. Both are not particularly golf-specific. Also due to a late entry age into golf, my body resisted change... but not my mind.

I can answer some of that as I got involved a bit in powerlifting.

Power lifting is definitely linear. None of the lifts are requiring any rotational forces. Although I did want to keep balanced somewhat and did some rotational work, but not enough to the point where it was going to offset the strength movemnt effects.

#3 is a definite - at least in my case, and much of it was my fault. I have a very short swing ( to be honest, I do have a genetic back disorder ) but I know most of it is due to having large shoulders and pecs. I can get a good turn, but I just can't get my arms up much more than 1/2 swing. I now realize I didn't stretch nearly enough ( actively, even moreso than passively ) and I am working on that. Some genetic freaks, like some of those big LD guys, can get that big and still get that big swing - I can't. I think another factor is whether or not your body is genetically capable of handling the extra weight. I was always as a kid very thin, but pretty muscular. I had to work hard to get as big as I did. I guess the fact that even with a 1/2 swing I can get 90+ mph swing isn't too bad...

I too started playing golf late - mid 30's, (and I am now 45) and now regret not taking up my dad's offer to play when I was young. But I played baseball, football & basketball, so there was never any time! Plus, golf just wasn't cool to play in the early 80's lol!

Any way Steve - just my .02 cents!

Status
Not open for further replies.