US Ryder Cup picks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't believe some people are talking about Van Pelt. He has one win in a decade. Probably a top 10 ball striker. Makes a lot of money, but near the lead on the weekend he doesn't get it done. Ryder cup pressure is not for a guy like that.

Agreed. Great money collector, not so great at winning tournaments. Finishing in the Top 15 doesn't get you much at the Ryder Cup.

Pick people who like beating the absolute crap out of other people is my thought, not people who are your best buddies on tour or are just high on the money list. Fowler may be the Justin Bieber of the PGA tour for now (great line, btw) but I think his amateur experience winning may ultimately make him a much better Ryder Cupper than highly-talented underachievers and perennial top-15 finishers. Is Dustin Johnson is in danger of becoming the DL3 of his generation?

But he could go 0-4 just as easily. Too many great global players to think there's some magic to the captains picks. Obviously he'll pick guys that can putt and have been in good form recently, perhaps some experience. But anyone can whack anyone in that goofy format.

Valid points indeed. What I like most about him is he rarely ever leaves a putt short, I think that fearlessness on the greens is important in these types of formats. I also think he showed a toughness many people didn't think he had inside coming down the stretch last time.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
If Bo Van Pelt got in he could get three points and get all pumped up like Jeff Overton did. There's no way of knowing. Ryder Cup success or failure doesn't correlate to individual stroke play success or failure. Seve lost 8&7 in his prime and Nicklaus got beat twice in the same day by Brian Barnes. Peter Baker was a hero and it did nothing for him.

Last edited:
Including Michael Jordan in the Ryder Cup has always baffled me. As a GM and Owner his NBA teams have always been terrible. The team he owns, Charlotte, was one of the worst teams in NBA history last year at 7-59. What would they be without such an inspirational motivator like Jordan 0-66? He should stick to selling underpants. Keep him away!

Van Pelt is displaying why he shouldn't be a Captains pick. +3 thru 5 on moving day. I'm sure he'll still make a big check.

Status
Not open for further replies.