US Ryder Cup picks

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems as though Stricker and Furyk are assumed to be picked, but I will be very disappointed in DL3 if he picks Mahan and Fowler over Dustin Johnson and Snedeker, because Mahan is buddies with Tiger and Freddie, and Fowler is the Justin Beiber of golf. Let's hope he does the right thing and doesn't let politics and cronyism influence him.

ZAP

New
It is a tough year for picks for sure. As the captain I am sure he has some knowledge the average fan cannot have. Davis will make his personal picks to give his team the best shot to win. If he thinks that comes down to personalities then I guess that is what he will have to go with. I am just glad I do not have make those picks.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
He can play pin the tail on the donkey with his picks. There's never been anything that would indicate who will thrive or melt in those circumstances.

I dont think Furyk is a lock at all. I think Stricker is, and probably Dustin Johnson is. Beyond that I am not sure, I like Braddley myself, maybe Snedeker for his putting.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
"There's never been anything that would indicate who will thrive or melt in those circumstances." Kevin, are you just kidding?

Not at all. There's been some guys that never won much who did great and there's been some studs and guys with experience that have folded. If Fowler played poorly, would anyone have been surprised?

Last edited:

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Fowler's performance in his first Ryder cup is a positive indication IMO.

But he could go 0-4 just as easily. Too many great global players to think there's some magic to the captains picks. Obviously he'll pick guys that can putt and have been in good form recently, perhaps some experience. But anyone can whack anyone in that goofy format.

I guess... he's 8-15-4. But don't we enough players who used to be really good in the first part of their careers?

Not sure why I'm being hard on Furyk, maybe it's the pace of play or not having to watch the whole pre-shot dance this go around.

I guess... he's 8-15-4. But don't we enough players who used to be really good in the first part of their careers?

Not sure why I'm being hard on Furyk, maybe it's the pace of play or not having to watch the whole pre-shot dance this go around.

No doubt! He has to be one of the most annoying players to watch on TV.

It's humorous that the media keeps saying Furyk is a great partner in the Ryder cup. Imagine what that 8-15-4 would be if he weren't such a great partner. Also, the claim that there are very few good partners for Tiger is bull. I'd like to see Tiger with Zach or Dufner. Bottom line, if you play good you're a good partner.

I'd like to see Tiger with Zach or Dufner. Bottom line, if you play good you're a good partner.

I, too, would like to see Tiger paired with Zach, who is such a consistent player and a fierce competitor.

But I have to disagree with your last claim. Playing foursomes is a really, really different game, and it's not just about having two good players. When you are playing just one ball between you, you really have to have some rapport and some chemistry and some communication. You need an actual TEAM that will feel like they are playing the match together, and you need a pairing that makes it so that neither player gets really down on himself for a bad shot.

I played a LOT of competitive golf when I was young, but I didn't play foursomes until I moved to the UK, and I was really shocked at how different it was. Imagine going 5 holes without even hitting a putt, and then having a 5 footer to halve a hole. Two good players can play lousy in foursomes, and two OK players can play great.

I agree the foursomes are the tougher of the two formats for making the pairings. I think Zach, Simpson, Kuchar, Bradley and Dufner will be good partners for anyone in foursomes. DL3 should have a good idea which guys match up well together by the 28th.

DL3 is supposed to pick clutch players who exceed their natural abilities and rise to the occasion? No problem (insert highly ironic smiley emoticon here...)...Snedeker is in (unless DL3 has spent the last three months with his greatest callings in life -- fishing, skiing, snowboarding, water skiing, and hunting -- and hasn't managed to watch any golf)....

Last edited:
Can't believe some people are talking about Van Pelt. He has one win in a decade. Probably a top 10 ball striker. Makes a lot of money, but near the lead on the weekend he doesn't get it done. Ryder cup pressure is not for a guy like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.