villegas and holmes, the "holding the umbrella" backswing

Status
Not open for further replies.
The "Manzierre"

Are you suggeting that Philly Mac could use some "support" in the upper torso - maybe with an appropriate logo "Mr Wiggle (Jello)"

Maybe Brian could add another product line - appropriately named don't you think.

I knew Kramer had a winner here

"Don't Hit on Estelle"

Yea - Sid Farkas really "blew it". He knew a "hottie" when he saw one.

Great Show - that episode just played in our area within the last couple of weeks - I have probably seen every show at least a dozen times but still get a kick out it.

The Hold The Umbrella (/Lift The Torch) Analogy is one of my favourites!!!

Bro?!? Pfffff!

It's a Manssiere!

Hehe.

I'm so glad that not even a (terrible) racial tirade could ruin Kramers character.

My one friend is 5'10", 140lbs (at his peak), and swings close to 120 when he wants too. The reality is some people have it and some people don't. I'm sure it has something to do with genetics.

Genetics matters most. Strength and Speed = Power. Add great technique to the mix and you are then capable of pounding it out there. Being strong is helpful but not necessary to hit a golf ball well and far. Oh sure a big, strong guy may have the potential and do it at times but I have seen many smaller and less strong fellows hit it farther due to better ball striking skills and smash factor. In my golf league, one guy has his high school age son fill in every now and then. You should see how far he hits it. Skinny and definitely not as developed or strong as his father or me. More flexible and better technique. Helps to get the motor neurons going from such a young age too as he had been playing from being a toddler. Another young guy about 21 yrs old in the league, who also looks about 145-150 lbs relishes in the fact that he outhits bigger and stronger guys all the time. Cocky but true.

I have been a weight lifter for years and I cringe when I hear the overblown assessments of their lifting prowess by the golf announcers. The numbers are off, I can tell you. They are not weightlifters, they use weight training to improve muscular strength and power for the golf swing. A little bit of it can help individuals who may lack strength but it can be overdone for others who should work on technique and flexibility more.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
I personally don't believe that strength has nothing to do with increasing length. What I do think is that the smaller or "weaker" you are, the more you have to rely on technique in order to be a long hitter; the stronger or more athletic you are, the more you can get away with less than perfect distance-creating technique; that's how big-hitting hackers are made. If you have adequate flexibility, the right strength increase is an asset to increasing length.

Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater by believing that strength is irrelevant, or that being stronger won't help at all, when it comes to increasing length.

For years I kept on throwing the baby out and kept all the bathwater. Now my swing is feeling smooth as that baby's bottom.

Status
Not open for further replies.