Well it finally happened!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hp12c

New
Yup, long putter wins major championship. I knew it was coming but didnt think it would come so fast. I guess I should have seen the writing on the wall, more players using a long putter. Lets see how many more player jump on board and how many more and how soon another major will be won with a long putter, next year, the year after that? what you guys think?

It was inevitable. Too many of the young guns adopted the longer putter (especially the belly) for this not to happen. I mentioned before that since a lot of these young players started using it at a young age, they will be good putters for a long time. The belly putter wasn't a fix for a poor stroke for these guys. It was a better way to putt so they are really confident with them and see them as normal.

The Nationwide Tour is full of guys using the belly and in college golf the belly is very evident. I imagine it's the wave of the future and the belly could become the standard for a whole generation of players.

Hey Otto6457,

Do you think well see another major win next year with a long putter?

I really do. So many guys are using it the odds improve every year that a long putter is in the final group or near the lead. Plus, with guys like Furyk moving to it and being successful, more players will give it a try. The long putters had a stigma of a "last resort" for a lot of players. That is quickly disappearing.

Back when they had the Bell South Classic in Atlanta, I was not playing golf or even into watching the game. So my dad and I went and I commented back then as I was amazed how many guys were using belly putters. That was probably 2004 or so. then they kinda fell off in popularity.

I remember when Nicklaus won the masters with that giant MacGregor putter...everybody had to have one.

I'm not really sure that Keegan Bradley winning the PGA will convince people to buy a belly putter or for other PGA Tour pros to get one. Maybe with Scott winning Firestone and Keegan winning the PGA...there's something there.

To me, it's at best a fad...which it was 7 years ago.

3JACK

I don't have a horse in this race - but the thought of Phil having a belly putter strikes me as funny - yet if someone needed help on short putts - he could use it at times. Anyway that would be a story if it were to happen.

I don't have a horse in this race - but the thought of Phil having a belly putter strikes me as funny - yet if someone needed help on short putts - he could use it at times. Anyway that would be a story if it were to happen.

I can't imagine a belly putter helping Phil with his short putts. He misses his short putts because he hits them way too hard, which narrows the capture width of the hole and decreases his chances of making those putts. That to me is the #1 key in putting. Optimize or come close to optimizing the capture width a high rate of the putts you make, and they will start dropping.

3JACK

I don't agree with the PGA being the weakest major; I think it has the least amount of "special seasonings" amongst the majors, which leads to the red-headed stepchild perception. The Masters has Augusta National ('nuff said); the U.S. Open is the Last Man Standing test of survival where a level par round is a good one, with iconic courses like Pebble and Pinehurst in the rotation; and the Open Championship features links-style golf not regularly seen in championship play, in the birthplace of the game. In a game laden with tradition and history, the PGA doesn't quite have the same feel as the other three, and may not garner the same level of respect. That last part is a shame, considering the number of PGA professionals who toil in anonymity on ranges and in pro shops across the world, growing this beautiful game we love.

I turned the tournament off for about 2 hours because I just got tired of seeing so many long putters. It is petty, but it just annoys the crap out of me.

In a game laden with tradition and history, the PGA doesn't quite have the same feel as the other three, and may not garner the same level of respect. That last part is a shame, considering the number of PGA professionals who toil in anonymity on ranges and in pro shops across the world, growing this beautiful game we love.
This is why I say it's the "weakest" major. I'm talking about viewership and people really knowing the winners year after year like they know the other 3. Guess I should have been a little clearer.

hp12c

New
I can't imagine a belly putter helping Phil with his short putts. He misses his short putts because he hits them way too hard, which narrows the capture width of the hole and decreases his chances of making those putts. That to me is the #1 key in putting. Optimize or come close to optimizing the capture width a high rate of the putts you make, and they will start dropping.

3JACK

Speed and direction are the keys for me. But I practice direction first , I have to be sure my putts are rolling straight first before I start to work on speed, once I see straight putts on a flat level area of the green then I start on speed and then I start on my favorite practice breaking putts.

Aim or hit?

He misses his short putts because he hits them way too hard, which narrows the capture width of the hole and decreases his chances of making those putts.

Interesting. I was beginning to think he needed a consult with David Edel. When I read David Edel's chapter and found a putter I aimed straight it totally solved my short putting problem. Phil goes into great lengths on his DVDs on practicing aiming straight. Maybe Phil needs a putter he aims straight instead?

hp12c

New
Ok,
If Webb wins this tournament a long putter will have won 3 consecutive tournaments including a major, seems like something is trending here.

Status
Not open for further replies.