What Kind of Release is this? & Can an effective swing include no deceleration?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
You can make up all the names you want for the release in the first stickman sequence....the club is UP THE LEFT ARM long after impact, and by any measure, is not a flip. In fact, the golfer's left wrist is flat longer than 95% of the PGA Tour alumni since 1990.

Who is it?

And....what's my point?

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Manassero?

Nah.

You can make up all the names you want for the release in the first stickman sequence....the club is UP THE LEFT ARM long after impact, and by any measure, is not a flip. In fact, the golfer's left wrist is flat longer than 95% of the PGA Tour alumni since 1990.

Who is it?

And....what's my point?

The point is what happens after impact makes NO DIFFERENCE To the golf ball.

It may look EXACT like a method teacher would want it to, or it may look exactly the opposite.

The "stickman" is only shown up to just past impact because this golfer would fit lots of method teacher's philosophies in the three frames shown. If I revel the golfer, any yahoo can go on YouTube and find a clip of that golfer and make all sorts of comments about what they thought about the three frames that I posted—based on what they thought about the after "look."

I am not saying in any way, shape, or form that what happens after that last frame is unimportant. Not at all. In fact, it is largely THE reason some folks look like they do PRE IMPACT, at impact, and just past impact.

It would be MUCH MORE RELEVANT to look at graphs from high-end 6DOF 3d of that golfer, then Rory, or Tiger, or any golfer.

But, I forgot. Some folks think ALL THE 6DOF 3D machines are wrong.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Somewhat anticlimactic. Thought there would be some interesting points about the release.

Is there a difference between two swings that would look the same if a stickman or identical high-quality humanoid that looked the same from this face on, or any other angle?

One of the things I want to be able to do is manipulate 3D humanoids to have the same kind of discussion. It wouldn't matter unless you also had some 6DOF 3D data to see what kinds of accelerations and decelerations there were in the pelvis, torso, left and right arms, and both hands and wrists.

If you had the 3D data in the hands of folks who look at those all the time, you'd be able to predict what the through swing would look like.

You really can't accurately FULLY classify a type of release with video. In fact, until there is a machine that can back calculate all the forces and torques, you are more or less swimming.

At the recent Top 100 retreat outside of Orlando, Phil Cheetham, the world renown biomechanist who works for the USA Olympic team, showed some graphs that showed accelerations and decelerations among other things.

I asked him the last question of the session. "Phil, what would you say to the folks that say that in the elite level ball-strikers, there is little to no deceleration through impact?" He laughed so hard it stunned me. After making sure it wasn't me who thought this, he laughed again and the whole room did as well. I didn't use any names, and that was probably a good idea.

It is easy to look at video and say all sorts of goofy things that make your point, but looking at graphs take all the guess work out of it.

As far as the original stickman release....as soon as the video that accompanies it is posted, every critic will be an expert.

Funnily enough, I was hitting a few 3/4 wedges yesterday and thinking how impossible it would be to teach someone how I influence the club with my hands. I think this is what this thread is about, no?

....the golfer's left wrist is flat longer than 95% of the PGA Tour alumni since 1990."

My memory is that you have made this claim of yourself!

Can you give us a clue as to what you mean by "what to call it"? Do you have any examples of names? Is the key to it the middle pic?

Brian Manzella

Administrator
I wouldn't "call it" anything. Really.

It is a good swing.

I don't see a flip. I don't see the hands rolling over. I don't see too much lag. I see the club lining up.

But the past the ball......hmmmm....

Like I said, the golfer has his left wrist flatter longer than Hogan.

Ryder Cup player.

Not current. Not too much older than me.

Status
Not open for further replies.