What makes Steve Stricker's swing work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone tried to swing it like him? I tried hitting some irons without actively cocking the wrists and hit some solid shots. I was surprised how well I hit it with Driver which has been giving me fits lately. Is the lack of wrist cock one less thing to time on the downswing? I saw BManz vid on SS earler this year but he doesn't touch on this. thx

I know SS overhauled a lot in his swing to get where he is at today but I was just curious what role the limited wrist cock played
in his swing in terms of creating a more repeatable swing.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
You would have to have a greater amount of grip pressure to curtail wristcock. How else would you do it?

by just physically not cocking your wrists and allowing the clubhead to keep your wrists un-cocked, he also hits most of his iron shots 3/4ish so the clubhead won't fully cock the wrists either.

EDIT

I also posted a while ago, does anyone have TM or FS numbers from his irons? I'd be realllllllly interested in what they are especially his wedges.

Steve Stricker makes Steve Stricker's swing work. He found the way to get control of the club so that he can hit it where he wants to.
There's a best way for everyone, his seems to be one with little wrist cock in the back swing.

You would have to have a greater amount of grip pressure to curtail wristcock. How else would you do it?

For me, maybe a flatter wrist at the top, shorter left thumb, smooth tempo. Or maybe, like Jim said, its as simple as just not trying to cock his wrists as much as physically possible, and not jerking the club out of transition. Besides, he has nearly a 90 degree wrist cock at the top of his backswing on full shots as it is. It's not like he has no wrist cock. I think most people would be better off NOT trying to lag it like Sergio.

My guess about his TM numbers would be consistent and shallow. As a former (recovering) lag worshipper, his pattern is one I emulate and have lost exactly no distance. And talk about torques...

66er

New
I would love to Brian's view on "wristcock". Michael Jacobs video touches on it in some depth, I went to see him in July, he took it completely out of my backswing, drop my vsp from 74 to 64 in one hour session = awesome.

What makes Steve Stricker's swing work?

Stricker was done until he discovered the modern gear and ball work great with a screen-door crap golf swing.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Steve Stricker makes Steve Stricker's swing work. He found the way to get control of the club so that he can hit it where he wants to.
There's a best way for everyone, his seems to be one with little wrist cock in the back swing.

Agree. He makes it work because he is a world class talent who can control the face, path and angle doing it the way he does.

Anyone tried to swing it like him? I tried hitting some irons without actively cocking the wrists and hit some solid shots. I was surprised how well I hit it with Driver which has been giving me fits lately. Is the lack of wrist cock one less thing to time on the downswing? I saw BManz vid on SS earler this year but he doesn't touch on this. thx

I've been trying his swing for a short while now and am hitting better than ever. What I noticed recently is the way he raises his wrists at address and gets the shaft in line with his right arm very much like TGM. After that its just turn and turn with quiet hands and having the feeling of keeping the triangle back and through, thats what works for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.