What will swings look like in the future?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
What do you guys think. Instead of always looking in the past (i.e. the Hogan threads). Let's look forward. What will become of the golf swing?

Please no references to the no back swing retarded garbage by TJ Tomasi

I personally think that swings will look less dynamic in the future. As self-mastery so eloquently stated before "video killed the PGA TOUR star". I think that is what will happen up and down the ranks. More and more everyday, club golfers will lose any sense of feel because of the line-drawers.

Eventually the TOUR will be dominated by a bunch of less than well-to-do kids who just learned to make the most of what they got and get it in the hole. These kids won't have had access to all these programs and moron instruction and will just have the 3 imperatives (because that's what every good golfer figures out one way or the other) Commentators will lament their swings, thinking that the ball should somehow know that the swing put on it was impure in some line drawer way. But....... these golfers will always win.

Thoughts??

Damon Lucas

Super Moderator
I one hundred per cent disagree, GL!

Video and its ubiquitous line drawers are soon to be superceded by a raft of three dimensional programs which will 'encourage' drills that help snap the kinetic chain more effectively, identify the path/plane that works for each individual rather than the one size fits all approach that most teachers adopt out of ignorance, and quash various methodologies that just don't stand scrutiny!

Stay tuned!

What a great question Coach, it has a lot of levels of thought. For us, how many times do we cross the line between form and dynamics. We desire the perfect blend for each one of us, but at least in my case, waffle back and forth way too much. I am sure this is true for the pros also, Woody and Calc talked in an interview this weekend about how so many guys can't even practice without their coach right there with them. Yet, we get the Couples, Trevino, Daly, J.B. Holmes, Bubba Watson, Boo Weekley, etc. that shows us how fun good swing dynamics can be. But, you can't completely argue against the Hogan, Faldo models either. Since the game has become such a power game lately, I believe that the over using line drawers will start fading away if they can't produce the dynamics in their students.
I'm just glad that we have Brian and company, along with a good group of forum members to try and hash this stuff out along the way. I have never seen somebody that Brian has helped that didn't look dynamic.

Jim S.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
I believe, eventually, you will see golfers GO BACK to a more upright/across the line type swing.

How long will this take? Not sure, but i think eventually it will happen.

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
I one hundred per cent disagree, GL!

Video and its ubiquitous line drawers are soon to be superceded by a raft of three dimensional programs which will 'encourage' drills that help snap the kinetic chain more effectively, identify the path/plane that works for each individual rather than the one size fits all approach that most teachers adopt out of ignorance, and quash various methodologies that just don't stand scrutiny!

Stay tuned!

That is what I want!! The FUTURE! I can't wait to see it.

Perhaps my first post did not give enough credit to how much some (Manzella & Co.) are already doing to kill the line drawers.

You are saying that video will progress and allow golfers to really see what is happening, thus being able to learn and practice in 3-D. Cool.

I personally think that swings will look less dynamic in the future. As self-mastery so eloquently stated before "video killed the PGA TOUR star". I think that is what will happen up and down the ranks. More and more everyday, club golfers will lose any sense of feel because of the line-drawers.

I think I agree. I'm not sure a lot of people put enough weight on using results (with a GOLF BALL) as the main benchmark in the way that they should.

You'd think they'd have to smarten up sooner or later though. Not that I'd be all that surprised if they didn't.

But....... these golfers will always win.

Thoughts??

Furyk and Ochoa do alright. Not even long hitters either.

What if someone started drawing lines all over them and didn't like what they saw?

Last edited:

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Interested as to why you think this, Jim?

Throughout history the greatest players in the game if anything, were more upright than today and also SOME were across the line. But you cannot deny that the majority were a little more upright than todays players. There were a few "flat" backswingers and there were a lot that were simply ON PLANE.

However as i have commented before, the "flat swing" is the current fad just how a lot of people went too upright in the 70s/80s. Too much of anything is never good. I even remember making a post to kind of point this out, saying something like "how many players in the HOF had very flat backswings?" I don't have time to search for the thread but very few where very flat.

I feel that a lot of good golfers are ruining themselves by trying to be flatter and rounder in the swing. I had to fix it all the time when i taught (i always called it the "too much around and not enough up" syndrome) and i had to teach them something similar to NHA to get them from stop being so underplane.

I feel that eventually, with enough good information, you will see it make a comeback because too many good AND bad players will eventually start swinging way too underplane.

I think the deal with these flat swings is that teachers seem to say "This is how Hogan and Snead did it".........

But......

Hogan (later on at least) had a short arm-swing and Snead got his hands up to the TSP in the end.......

Like you say Jim maybe they will realize what's going on when they realize everyone's underplane.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
What do you guys think. Instead of always looking in the past (i.e. the Hogan threads). Let's look forward. What will become of the golf swing?

Please no references to the no back swing retarded garbage by TJ Tomasi

Eventually the TOUR will be dominated by a bunch of less than well-to-do kids who just learned to make the most of what they got and get it in the hole. These kids won't have had access to all these programs and moron instruction and will just have the 3 imperatives (because that's what every good golfer figures out one way or the other) Commentators will lament their swings, thinking that the ball should somehow know that the swing put on it was impure in some line drawer way. But....... these golfers will always win.

Thoughts??

The part about Eventually the tour will be dominated.... I could not agree more. They will learn the 3 I's and develop their own swing around that and learn how to PLAY.

dbl

New
The swing of the future will actually be two (for the pros): They will finetune their swings to have maximum driver distance at near 100% effort, utilizing full 4 barrel participation strokes. Then they shall utilize a 2nd kind of swing for punching out wedges.

The swing of the future will actually be two (for the pros): They will finetune their swings to have maximum driver distance at near 100% effort, utilizing full 4 barrel participation strokes. Then they shall utilize a 2nd kind of swing for punching out wedges.

I think we will see more long drive guys with average accuracy and quality short games.

My maximum kinetic snap pure swing pattern will be displayed on the LPGA in 10 years by my niece:) The 4 barrel version of this pattern doesn't hit the ball as far, and is too high maintenance.

I agree with Jim.

Jim really identifies the future look of the swing. Bubba Watson really embodies the more upright, cross the line swing. His potential is endless, the guy can hit some amazing shots. He is really fun to watch, and has the best swing on tour, imop.

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
BOO

Jim really identifies the future look of the swing. Bubba Watson really embodies the more upright, cross the line swing. His potential is endless, the guy can hit some amazing shots. He is really fun to watch, and has the best swing on tour, imop.

It's a great swing, but Boo Weekley's is better. Some say he doesn't hit it high enough, but I think his swing is more repeatable and consistent and he is nearly as long.

Absolute Advantage: Watson
Comparative Advantage: Weekley

my candidate for "swing of the future" is Tiger Woods, if he continue to improve his lower body, he is getting there on the right track.

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
Sometimes I wonder if folks will revere the swing of Woods much like we revere the swing of Hogan today. People are always looking back.

What will a swing model be in the future? Currently a lot of accepted swing mechanics are being debunked all the time.

What will 3-D be able to show us?

IMO, there will be a time when you get into a machine that detects your flexibility and natural body tendencies that will create a customized pattern that you and a pro will build.

Instead of a swing teacher or coach, they will be swing architects.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Until clubs are designed a different way the swing won't have too many revolutionary new positions....how could they? Maybe if Tour courses get wider and longer then maybe a Zuback type swing who can putt might take over. Man, I hope that never happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.