What will swings look like in the future?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Until clubs are designed a different way the swing won't have too many revolutionary new positions....how could they? Maybe if Tour courses get wider and longer then maybe a Zuback type swing who can putt might take over. Man, I hope that never happens.

I would like to see the PGA touring pro's play courses with actual hazards. The rough shouldn't be a safe landing spot to execute a gentle 9 iron that sticks to the green, a sand trap should really be a trap. All majors should be played with balata balls, and courses should be tightened. I'm all for hitting 300 yard drives as long as they go straight. Not every course should play like the above, but there needs to be some variation. Somehow I prefer the LPGA over the PGA.

hcw

New
I think it would be cool...

I would like to see the PGA touring pro's play courses with actual hazards. The rough shouldn't be a safe landing spot to execute a gentle 9 iron that sticks to the green, a sand trap should really be a trap. All majors should be played with balata balls, and courses should be tightened. I'm all for hitting 300 yard drives as long as they go straight. Not every course should play like the above, but there needs to be some variation. Somehow I prefer the LPGA over the PGA.

...if they made the courses so they could hit it where they want left-right to approach the green, but make it so they HAD to hit it at least Y yards into the green by growing nasty rough all across the fairway after Y yards out until say maybe 10-15 yards in front of the green...for example, say they have a 425 yd par 4 and you want them to hit at least a 150 yd yard approach shot, grow it long all across at 275 yd from the tee until 410 yds from the tee...then the "bombers" have to know how to hit it 250-270 and their length advantage would be what they hit from 155-160 into the green and...leave the par 3 & 5's so the fan's can still see them "bomb" some....

-hcw

I think they at least should look at the bunkers...

To me....when you have guys not really even worrying about going in them.....this is not a good sign.

Make em think before they pull the 3 wood at 280 out to just "knock it down somewhere around the green."

To me....when you have guys not really even worrying about going in them.....this is not a good sign.

Make em think before they pull the 3 wood at 280 out to just "knock it down somewhere around the green."

Didn't the PGA brats complain when Jack toughed the course for the Memorial awhile back? I think that accurate distance should be awarded, not punished. I like the idea of making half the holes only playable from a specific distance like HCW mentioned. I also would like to see some real risk reward options.

hcw

New
Yeah...

Didn't the PGA brats complain when Jack toughed the course for the Memorial awhile back? I think that accurate distance should be awarded, not punished. I like the idea of making half the holes only playable from a specific distance like HCW mentioned. I also would like to see some real risk reward options.

...he furrowed the bunkers and they were whining that it might actually be a penalty to hit it in one...

Brian Manzella

Administrator
The Golf Swing—one day....

I think you will see more REAL world-class athletes...so...they will hit it longer yet.

They will do this utilizing MATH, and 3D and teachers who know how to custom-fit.

The teachers will be dominated by someone who can TEACH this to the masses, and do it in an entertaining style.

Hmmm....;)

Far from perfect. Club released too soon, imperfect lower body action, right heel lifts too soon. There are some positives. I rate it B+ by hard standards.

David,

Just because it's not a maximum trigger delay snap release type swing doesn't mean it can't get above an A.

There is more than one type of grade A swing.

You don't have to swing like Hogan to have a "perfect" swing.

I think Jack got it right when he furrowed the bunkers at his tournament. Correct me if I'm wrong, but they used a shallower furrowing method in '07 than they did in '06, correct? KJ won it at -17 this year, Carl Petterson was at -11 in '06. Granted the bunkers won't be the only factor determining score, but those don't sound like they are "unfair" course setups, even with the bunkers being furrowed.
I don't see what's wrong with discouraging players from hitting their ball into a hazard...

Rod Pampling because of the simplicity of his swing: Compact, tight, great economy of motion.

Kudzu would end the careers of many pros:)

I'm not sure Hogan had what was a "planned" flat swing........i had the opportunity to visit shady oaks.......(hogans real home course)......and spoke to the director of golf......who was handpicked by mr hogan...for that position................i said to him....no. i ASKED him if he teaches mr..hogans "flat swing quite a bit........he said mr hogan actually did not have a flat swing.........................he was 5'9........that was his swing..........please understand...i dont know enough to say he did or didnt.....im just repeating what i was told.....

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Far from perfect. Club released too soon, imperfect lower body action, right heel lifts too soon. There are some positives. I rate it B+ by hard standards.

Never said his swing was perfect, but it's where i see swings going. He is a very long hitting player who plays a predictable fade and won an event this year. Pretty good season for a young guy who is still developing.

Status
Not open for further replies.