What would Moe Norman's "numbers" be, and should we care?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SJO

New
Writing all the time about how great Moe Norman was is starting to get ridiculous. He was clearly a great ball-striker but non stop speculation about who was the best is pointless. I have heard some great stories about Moe Norman and also some who said he hit it nowhere. He is well renowned despite not winning on Tour, so that is enough.

Personally I don't think any one of the players mentioned constantly would stand out, but there's only one Hogan. Let's look at golf as a whole and not just Trevino, Moe Norman, Hogan or Sadlowski or whoever is the flavour of the month. A bit more imaginative posts wouldn't go amiss.

greenfree

Banned
Writing all the time about how great Moe Norman was is starting to get ridiculous. He was clearly a great ball-striker but non stop speculation about who was the best is pointless. I have heard some great stories about Moe Norman and also some who said he hit it nowhere. He is well renowned despite not winning on Tour, so that is enough.

Personally I don't think any one of the players mentioned constantly would stand out, but there's only one Hogan. Let's look at golf as a whole and not just Trevino, Moe Norman, Hogan or Sadlowski or whoever is the flavour of the month. A bit more imaginative posts wouldn't go amiss.

Well, who does stand out if not any of the above? Iron Byron, Pingman?

Last edited:
non stop speculation about who was the best is pointless...there's only one Hogan...more imaginative posts wouldn't go amiss.

You knock "who's the best" speculation, speculate that Hogan was the best, and then scold the forum for what you perceive to be a collective lack of posting originality. Wow.

Yours might be the most imaginative post I've read in a while. That is priceless.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Richie, it was late 80's and again in early 90's. Im not saying at all that it wasnt impressive, and i'm definately no Moe hater, far from it. Just feel like some others could match him. Just a feeling like i said.

SJO

New
You knock "who's the best" speculation, speculate that Hogan was the best, and then scold the forum for what you perceive to be a collective lack of posting originality. Wow.

Yours might be the most imaginative post I've read in a while. That is priceless.

Good one. I didn't start the thread, I am posting on it and giving my opinion.

It seems odd that you're offended by that.

Last edited:

ej20

New
Were there any stats of Moe's competitive rounds?They must have kept stats on the Canadian tour.That would be the clincher.100% fairways and 100% GIR or close to it.End of argument.

I don't really care what he did on the driving range.

Here's a few YouTube clips of sequences put together or a young Moe (probably still in his late 30's, early 40's). Thought some would enjoy.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhtE0J2KgNQ[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOtScxKhxdI[/media]

3JACK

It's a very nice swing. Dynamic, wide, very classic "50's backswing", no leakage (Bubba Watson would be proud of that finish clubface position), a distinctive personalized follow-through (nice rhetorical flourish), and something I think Brian once broke down as as something like a pretty standard shift from TSP at top to elbow plane at impact?

What's not to like there?

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the clips, Richie.

On the front view, play the video. Take your cursor and leave it on Moe's nose. Isn't this the "dive" Tiger took some heat for from various swing pundits?

When did you watch him?

That's a question I have to ask because almost everybody who watched him at his clinics watched him when he was in his 70's. I saw him at the age of 66 years old.

Tough to have a lot of pop on the ball at that age. And I would hope that Nick Price could put more pop on the ball than a man in his 60's or 70's.

I've met about a dozen people thru my blog who have talked about playing with Moe earlier than that. In fact, one person claimed they played with Moe as early as 1979.

Every single one of them said roughly the same thing. He shot about 65 or so and if he would've just taken his time to putt and putted decent, he would've shot 60 with ease. More importantly, he was hitting it easily 280 yards with a balata ball and a persimmon driver. And that was still in his 50's.

Probably the biggest misperception about Moe I've seen is that he could only hit it straight. He could hit a draw, fade, slice or hook on command and make it look easy.

So with the legend also comes the naysayers who are saying stuff that is just plainly false.

3JACK

I have heard too from people (that as far as I know have no reason for being biased...) that he could hit it further when he was younger (duh) and also that he may have throttled back for added accuracy. (which is an interesting thought in itself)

If you think about it he really only got famous on a global level when he was older. What? Probably 50? 60?

I'm not trying to butter up Moe's legend or any of that BS I could care less. I'm not like that and I try not to be biased. I want the truth!

Good post Richie.

moe.jpg

Who's watching who? Faldo, Price, Couples, Crenshaw, watching Moe!

Ernie as well?

I hear this was common.

Must be something to it. Plus the various endorsements from so many top players. (many HOF golfers)

Under this approach to golf proof, Natalie Gulbis may be better than Jack Nicklaus.

Ha I like it.

Depends what your looking at or for. Do you think they find him attractive, do you?

Also funny.

All you can do is consider evidence and derive what you can from that.

Good one. I didn't start the thread, I am posting on it and giving my opinion.

It seems odd that you're offended by that.

Strong opinions often get strong reactions. You should expect it no?

Thanks so much for the clips, Richie.

On the front view, play the video. Take your cursor and leave it on Moe's nose. Isn't this the "dive" Tiger took some heat for from various swing pundits?

Yes!

Some people need to do a little more homework before they make claims and shut the door on everything else.

Truth.

Highly recommended to watch this clip on Moe Norman:

Moe Norman: My way - CBC Archives

Check @ 2:50...

He's hitting off the ground to a green "about 240 yards into a crosswind"...

He is in his 60s here...probably a 3 wood...persimmon/balata...doesn't look downhill...

(grouping of balls on the green)

Not bad.

Something to take into account anyway.

SJO

New
Highly recommended to watch this clip on Moe Norman:

Moe Norman: My way - CBC Archives

Check @ 2:50...

He's hitting off the ground to a green "about 240 yards into a crosswind"...

He is in his 60s here...probably a 3 wood...persimmon/balata...doesn't look downhill...

(grouping of balls on the green)

Not bad.

Something to take into account anyway.

That was really interesting, I love the way he hits balls so fast. He clearly played without much thought. I liked that shot of Trevino hitting to the par 3 too.

Status
Not open for further replies.