Which is better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Swing 1:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Jpv6VGhm6Vw?hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Jpv6VGhm6Vw?hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Swing 2:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SNeRuT7l9C8?hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SNeRuT7l9C8?hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Both swings are servicable. Just wondering which is better to ingrain and why.

Change is on the way.....maybe

The difference is really only in how you have started the club away with LFFW. Once you get to your Top their really isn't a big change between the 2. I think sometimes we feel we are making more of a change than is really happening. Once we go past the point of the swing that we are changing we then settle right back into our normal pattern. Complete change is tough to make just ask Tiger. You will perform best with the stroke that you feel most confident in, they both look just fine.

Tell it to the Judge!

Which swing did the ball see as better?......he is the ultimate Judge. For someone that has the ability to capture a pic of the swing I would be curious to see both swings as the club is approaching impact, impact and post impact to examine any real differences. Trackman would be the best resource to see the real differences. I definately see changes in how the club goes back but changes are not as evident as the club approaches impact but I would love to see a side by side comparisons to double check.

I have made some really big changes in my swing over the last couple of years with the help of Brian (one lesson), Kevin, Jim, this forum and the instructors here.

It is obvious that the backswing takeaway is different. Swing #1 is the most comfortable swing for me right now, but my miss is left and sometimes way left(maybe not enough tilt--left over from 10 years of a wide open clubface). Swing #2 helps me to get the feel of lower hands through impact and, in the short time I tried it, eliminated the left miss. I would love to get on Trackman, but for now I just have to rely on ballflight and the occasional video.

I appreciate your opinions and suggestions.

Last edited:
Is this like a public vote? You're letting us decide how you play golf!?

Missed this earlier. Absolutely the public(this forum) is allowed to vote. I'm just taking suggestions as to which swing/backswing would be the best to continue working with. I trust the instructors here and the fellow forum members are very knowledgeable. I'm also at a point now that I am better at weeding through things that help and things that don't help my swing.

1 has a more orthodox looking setup...a little less inside in the backswing.

What is different about the release Ringer?

What exactly are you doing different spk? (can you do a point by point?)

Ever try a weaker grip and more roll like Brian did with the baseballer? (from his thread)

Last edited:
Through my swing transformation from a high right shoulder, open faced, ott, slicer to what it is now, I have dramatically improved my consistency in hitting the ball closer to where I want to. I'm basically trying to get to "zeros" and hit the ball straight at will.

So, working off of ballflight alone and information gathered here, I have been trying to eliminate the left to left miss that happens with swing 1. I then tried getting the hands lower at address to help with lowering them at impact to help stop the left to left. It helped while I was doing it, but had some trouble consistently hitting the ball solid. Also, in swing 1 I was trying to flight the ball down some by getting the hands more forward at impact and in swing 2 wasn't concerned with the height of the ball.

I actually regripped my clubs with ribbed grips that I twisted so I can only grip the club very neutral and have used the roll, NSA style, primarily to facilitate the changes I have made so far.

For a little more reference here's a face on of swing 1(didn't get one of swing 2).

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AO9Aa_DlPog?hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AO9Aa_DlPog?hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Slip sliding away

I like the motion but would have you hit a few with the ball position slightly further back. With the position that it look to be in (could be camera position) you seem to slide your upper body at the start of you downswing in order to get compensate. This lateral motion is also a reason why so much weight has gone to the outside of your left foot so early. I beleive that having better ball position would help eliminate that. It will take a little to break the slide habit but it will make you more stable in your downstroke and impact.

Through my swing transformation from a high right shoulder, open faced, ott, slicer to what it is now, I have dramatically improved my consistency in hitting the ball closer to where I want to. I'm basically trying to get to "zeros" and hit the ball straight at will.

So, working off of ballflight alone and information gathered here, I have been trying to eliminate the left to left miss that happens with swing 1. I then tried getting the hands lower at address to help with lowering them at impact to help stop the left to left. It helped while I was doing it, but had some trouble consistently hitting the ball solid. Also, in swing 1 I was trying to flight the ball down some by getting the hands more forward at impact and in swing 2 wasn't concerned with the height of the ball.

I actually regripped my clubs with ribbed grips that I twisted so I can only grip the club very neutral and have used the roll, NSA style, primarily to facilitate the changes I have made so far.

For a little more reference here's a face on of swing 1(didn't get one of swing 2).

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AO9Aa_DlPog?hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AO9Aa_DlPog?hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Lots of good things there - however, only discussing the problems will get you ahead of the game. Certainly, you have an over the top move in that swing - so room for improvement. Lots of ways to attack that - personally I wouldn't weaken the grip to stop the shots to the left - more of a band-aid move. In regards to the over the top move - and "why" is that happening? For part of that equation - I'd look to lower body restrictions you've worked on in the past - on the backswing - you're getting into a "contorted" position with that lower body restriction that you've made automatic by now - not the entire solution but possibly part of the problem. Put another way - you need to create a situation where the lower body has enough flexibility to work independently from the upper body - during start down - and you've tied them together. If you get away from the whole X factor, large shoulder turn and minimal hip turn, restrict the lower body turn, stretch and wind up - ideas - creating an exaggerated movement - then you'll be more on track. Anyway, just some quick ideas - feel free to ignore them if they don't seem to hit home for you.

Lots of good things there - however, only discussing the problems will get you ahead of the game. Certainly, you have an over the top move in that swing - so room for improvement. Lots of ways to attack that - personally I wouldn't weaken the grip to stop the shots to the left - more of a band-aid move. In regards to the over the top move - and "why" is that happening? For part of that equation - I'd look to lower body restrictions you've worked on in the past - on the backswing - you're getting into a "contorted" position with that lower body restriction that you've made automatic by now - not the entire solution but possibly part of the problem. Put another way - you need to create a situation where the lower body has enough flexibility to work independently from the upper body - during start down - and you've tied them together. If you get away from the whole X factor, large shoulder turn and minimal hip turn, restrict the lower body turn, stretch and wind up - ideas - creating an exaggerated movement - then you'll be more on track. Anyway, just some quick ideas - feel free to ignore them if they don't seem to hit home for you.

You are absolutely correct, much room for improvement and would love for the problems to be discussed. I tried to back door that with the original post.

Very interesting you suggest changing the lower body restriction. That was one thing Brian talked about in my lesson a couple years ago and ya, following the x-factor stuff.

So, correct me if I'm wrong, but an improved motion you're suggesting would be to allow the pelvis to turn more going with the upper body in the backswing. This will allow the lower body to move to the left and unwind a bit to initiate the downswing while leaving the upper body back creating a more natural axis tilt. This may also help the lateral movement as I have always felt to get more power, I have to move to the left and turn. This suggested motion will be more rotary.

If this is what you're suggesting, it makes sense to me.

Last edited:

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Just guessing here so take it with a grain of salt but if you go left/left with swing #1 on occasion i would say these are my top reasons why:

1) You have a very very "in" takeaway which is good BUT you REAAAAAAAAALLLY have to get the arms UP to make sure you don't get laid off. If you get laid off a little you will either come OTT to square it up or swing way too far right (either one can create the left/left shot). Fix? Try bending right arm SOONER to take away a hair of the in and promote a bit more up.

2) You are aiming right and feet are slightly closed (unless it's just camera angle). I'd bet occasionally you at times don't realize how far right you end up aiming and your subconscious over corrects trying to get ball back to target. This can also lead to too closed shoulders at address which can do it too.

hope that helps

Status
Not open for further replies.