Who likes a challenge?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would start off getting em to do chips whilst maintaing extensor action and the flat left wrist / bent right wrist alignments.

quote:Originally posted by Redgoat

This is a typical average golfer, shoots around 90.

Where do you start, what do you fix first?

I will post the recent pictures tomorrow.

http://redgoat.smugmug.com/gallery/83053

Btw, the Darren Clarke pictures are new...

Redgoat

chipping with flat left wrist and keeping a bent right wrist beyond impact to start with. Oops- I see Densikat jumped in there with that. Well, after that I'd try to have her turn over the toe of the club to rid her of the chicken wing. Next...

EdZ

New
Start with a step through drill, no ball - focus on balance and right arm extension (see the EdZ drills, especially the interlocked finger drill)

then move to the step through drill, with a club - first split grip, then right, then left, then a club in each

Only when they can do the step though drill with a club in each hand, and stay in balance, should they move to chip/pitch shots - same as above - first split grip, then right only, then left only - first doing the "EdZ drill" to feel hands/plane

Then they should hit pitch shots, right wrist back

Full swing, at half speed (160 club, 100 yards)

Why is the left arm going back? Is this due to first right shoulder not down enough and no pivot to move forward?

Also why is the wrist cock release so earlier? This is also due to the above reasons.

I'd narrow her stance, almost heels touching then have her duplicate Frame 2 (hip high backswing). Explain PP's especially #1. Hit ball from there!
Maybe 1000 times, if she improves pivot, back and forward, immediately.
Perhaps her weight transfer, forward pivot and flat L. wrist will immediately improve?

hue

New
quote:Originally posted by densikat

Would start off getting em to do chips whilst maintaing extensor action and the flat left wrist / bent right wrist alignments.
I agree and would get her doing this from impact fix to give her an idea of what the impact should be like. After a good bit of this it would be a good idea to get her making a backstroke and then move to impact over and over.

hue

New
quote:Originally posted by EdZ

Start with a step through drill, no ball - focus on balance and right arm extension (see the EdZ drills, especially the interlocked finger drill)

then move to the step through drill, with a club - first split grip, then right, then left, then a club in each

Only when they can do the step though drill with a club in each hand, and stay in balance, " to feel hands/plane
EDz: could you go into detail by what you mean by the step through drill? Thanks.

bcoak

New
make sure her clubs fit and arent too heavy. some strengthening exercises away from golf may help.

bcoak

New
make sure her clubs fit and arent too heavy. some strengthening exercises away from golf may help.

Her flat shoulder turn gets the club behind her and I speculate that she bends her left arm to get the club up.

Her downswing is "over the top" and looks to be very arm oriented. Her right side is too stagnant.

IMO: The left arm breaks down because it is CARRIED closer than 45 degrees to the shoulder line (throwaway + "over the top"). The left wrist could be breaking for a number of reasons... Most likely, subconsciously, to keep the ball in play.

I would try to get the club more out and "in front". So her arms can track up through the center of the chest. Her arms can then stop when her shoulders stop.

If her right arm still breaks down more than about 95 degrees, I would get her to do a towel drill and feel the under-plane stretch.

With brevity, the downswing should be an athletic reaction. I would tell her to try and hit the inside quarter of the ball with a descending blow. Starting off with short shots.

All of the above comments are great. Before she makes any physical changes, she needs to understand that a ball gets it flight by force (downward). She also needs to understand the design characteristics of the golf club (the three functions) as they relate to the three imperatives. Educate the hands (without this more info only leads to more confusion).

EdZ

New
quote:Originally posted by hue

quote:Originally posted by EdZ

Only when they can do the step though drill with a club in each hand, and stay in balance, " to feel hands/plane
EDz: could you go into detail by what you mean by the step through drill? Thanks.

step through drills can be of a few variations, but the basic idea is to swing back, lift lead foot, swing through, lift trail foot - in balance - focus on getting the back to face the target, lead shoulder behind the ball, over the trail knee. On the through swing, you want to be 'perfectly' balanced on your lead foot, facing the target - feel like you could stand there all day - the old advice to 'hold your finish' is honestly one of the best habits you can ever have - hold the finish until the ball lands/stops - even for putts

turning your lead foot out a bit (ala Hogan's 22 degrees, up to 45 degrees - will REALLY help make that balance position easier (see Knudson's book - quite outstanding, a must read)

One of the better ways to warm up is to do this drill with a club in each hand, and just 'flow' back and through - forget about everything but balance and 'smoooooooooth' motion - 'allow' rotation of the forearms

To do this in balance, you will see that you move 'around' the spine - which 'seems' like a lot of movement to most people, because they have heard 'keep your head still' way too many times - it really should be 'keep the base of your neck/top of your spine in place, turning 'around' the spine'

Once you trust the motion, you will find it 'much' easier to square the face, and stay in the proper sequence - balance, flow

One of the better variations in practice is to take your normal address, move the lead foot back next to the trail foot as you swing back, then step back and swing through, finishing on your forward foot, in balance

The concept is both 'flow' with the club (being 'in synch') and getting that lead shoulder behind the ball - 'see' the 'lever' of the left shoulder, arm and club in your mind

practice 'seeing' the perfect motion in your mind, you'll be surprised how much that will help you

balance - always

efficient, smooth motion, minimize all unneeded motions - the better you get, the more this will help you

Burner

New
Far, far better but still trying to shovel it up with the right hand rather than hit down - hence the bent left elbow, chicken winging, restricted finish.

Status
Not open for further replies.