Why speak a foreign language??

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:Originally posted by Ringer

Hey, I'm just surprised I'm not kicked off here by now. :D

either youre lucky, Brian has a hella tolerance level or maybe you just bring something to stir the pot! hehehe! as Brian said, this aint no FGI....;)

alls good, everyone loves everyone...lets keep up the good forum...never been as interested in forums as i am about this one recently, keep it up guys! and a thanks to our host.

quote:Originally posted by rwh

quote:Originally posted by bsbsbs

But this is not the TGM forum this is the BRIAN MANZELLA forum, I first came to this forum because of an article I had read on Brian. Nowhere in Brians instruction articles have I ever seen TGM chapter and verse quoted. There may be common terms used to describe an action. Brian is a GSED and he doesn't feel the need to go along saying well thats 5-d-j and x-y-z and your 2-v-4 just isn't lined up like its suppose to be.

I appreciate what the yellow book has to offer but I feel that some of the people who visit here would rather impress you with there knowledge of the book than really contribute to this forum. I have no problem refering back to the book for clarification, but how does it FEEEEL.

I felt the same as you --- at first. And I concur that Brian is a great teacher who doesn't use a lot precise book references in his posts; he knows the material, though, and he can communicate about TGM on any level you wish -- rank novice to gradute PhD and all stops in between.

With study, I have come to appreciate the precision of TGM and the precision with which questions may be asked and answered on the internet; for example,"Follow Through" is a pretty important position in TGM, and that term means one thing to a TGM'er and (usually) means something different to a non-TGM'er. Not only does a reference provide precision, it serves as a courtesy and time saver to those of us who want to check it out in the book.

Regarding "FEEEEL", Mr. Kelley emphasized "Monitoring", i.e., you learn/do the objective components of the swing -- location, condition, direction, etc. -- and then become aware of what that location, condition, direction feels like to you. So, the WHAT TO DO must be learned before FEEL becomes relevant and/or reliable. Here is what Mr. Kelley said about doing it this way: "As you apply this System you may suddenly realize you are now actuallydoing what you had always merely thought you were doing."

I appreciate what you're saying and I possibly did not make myself as clear as I should have. I feel comfortable with a lot of the terms in TGM with the posts that Brian and holenone have made, because normally there is a description (or whatever you want to call it) along with it. My only objection is to some of the posters, when it is obviously someone you doesn't have a background in TGM and is perhaps interested in getting acquainted or very serious with the yellow book, and they are answered with the various notations from the text and at times made to feel inferior. I can understand what the "magic right forearm" and "flying wedges" are because of the beautiful descriptions that yoda has given us, but i don't know how deep i want to get into the book, because I don't have an AI within 4 hrs. and i just don't know how much I can get out of it by myself. Sorry for the long post.

quote:Originally posted by EdZ

I don't think that was really directed at Mizuno Joe. Not the way I read it. Just a general frustration with 'some' of the TGM approach to communication, which can be dogmatic. Perhaps Mizuno's post just highlighted the concern (in tone, if not content, the web is tough sometimes).

There is nothing wrong with the TGM 'language', but just as a lawyer or musician or doctor has, TGM uses different language than the average folks. All well and good.

But just as with any other profession, the skill is in communication, which includes sensetivity to where someone else may be coming from.

It is too bad that some TGM folks are not able to communicate as well as others, but then that holds for all fields, not just golf.

Bottom line, how to make the concepts clear and teach them to others. I think Holenone does a fine job, as do many on this, and other boards.

Well said, Ed. As an RN, I relate to your points.

A physician writes an order: MSO4 2-6mg IV q4hrs, PRN. Any healthcare professional in the country knows that means:

Give Morphine, 2 to 6 milligrams intravenously up to every four hours as needed for pain.

I will tell my patient, "I can give you Morphine through your IV tube when you are hurting. Let me know when you need it, and don't wait until you are hurting badly. It will work better if we keep the pain under control."

The medical jargon is concise and precise, and understood by all who are trained in the field. The lay language conveys it in a way the patient can understand, along with additional specific instructions to facilitate effective pain management.

Jargon is appropriate in any professional (or professed) endeavor, be it golf, medicine, or whatever, just as teaching at your patients'/students' levels of understanding is appropriate for effective learning. Bill Evans, the great jazz pianist, once said that he thought the key to his success lay in his desire to make his music accessible to anyone (which is true, because you do not have to be a jazz fan to appreciate the beauty of his music). And I think that Brian, Holenone, and many other posters do a good job of explaining TGM lingo in lay terms. Some of it is actually starting to sink in. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.