Status
Not open for further replies.
With all that we have learned about:

1. matching the COG's,
2. d-plane,
3. ball design,
4. club design,
5. how the club acts/reacts through impact,

is it realistic to actually try to "work" the ball? Or should we forsake our blades and get massive perimeter weighted heads and just hit the straightest shots possible?

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Working the ball is often just making sure the ball doesn't start or curve in some direction, but I see your point. I'd stick with the blades.

hp12c

New
Im a fader, worked on drawing the ball which morphed into a wicked hook, worked back to fading which turned into a ugly slice, now Im a pretty much straight ball player, not really Im a fader, glad to be back too. I can swing without worry of the left side.:cool:

I'm in the process of deciding if I wanna get blades for next year but perimeter weighted irons never kept me from working the ball.

High MOI clubs don't make the ball curve less.

They make it harder to MAKE THE FACE do what you want it to.

That makes complete sense, but could you go into that a bit more? I believe you are saying that massive cavity back heads are more difficult to manipulate, correct?

Last edited:
I hit the ball straighter with blades, on miss hits in particular. There's some "scientific" data to support the phenomenon, but I doubt anything will ever be published comparing cavity v blade... too much money at stake.

High MOI clubs don't make the ball curve less.

They make it harder to MAKE THE FACE do what you want it to.

In real measurable terms? Is there a high-MOI iron that a hacker would struggle to open on the backswing? Could the same hacker cure their slice with an easier-to-close blade on their downswing?

I am using SGI high moi clubs and I think it's hurting my game. Toe hits are playable but no where near as satisfying. I need the feedback of a blade iron to tell my brain to "hit the damn sweetspot dummy".

I'm gonna keep my MP-57's in pw-5 and mp hi-fli in the 3i and 4i. I can work the ball both ways when I need to, but most of the time I'm trying to work them just enough to hold their line against a left to right or right to left wind. They may not be as easy to hit as the high moi game improvement clubs but in my opinion they yield far more consistent results and are more fun to hit. I find them easier to manipulate the trajectory with as well. Maybe if I couldn't practice and play as much as I do my feelings would change but right now I can make them do so many different things on command. I get excited when I pull an iron out of the bag because I still have options to the type of shot I will choose to play. Makes the game fun and exciting for me, high moi game improvement clubs are kinda boring IMO, in both their feel and workability.

Not sure but Im betting he wouldnt know MOI or D plane from a putting green. Give him a set of rentals from the bag room and watch what he does. It's nothing short of amazing. Watched him hit balls for over an hour at Doral. Nothing even came close to going straight. He shot 62 that day.

Not sure but Im betting he wouldnt know MOI or D plane from a putting green. Give him a set of rentals from the bag room and watch what he does. It's nothing short of amazing. Watched him hit balls for over an hour at Doral. Nothing even came close to going straight. He shot 62 that day.

(not to derail the thread...but...)

I was telling someone today just how straight I thought the tour guys hit the ball. "Fades" to me and "fades" to them aren't the same. I haven't had a chance to see Bubba in action on the range... if you had to guess, how far would you say he moves an 8 iron?

You have to take one side out

An important post - from a very good player - listen!

It's also club relevant - especially important for the longer clubs with less loft. The more loft on the club the less relevant it becomes - for example you don't need to worry about curving a Sandwedge. While working the longer clubs is better than trying to hit it straight - without a doubt the fade has advantages over the draw.

Status
Not open for further replies.