Working the ball

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
(not to derail the thread...but...)

I was telling someone today just how straight I thought the tour guys hit the ball. "Fades" to me and "fades" to them aren't the same. I haven't had a chance to see Bubba in action on the range... if you had to guess, how far would you say he moves an 8 iron?

He can move it as much as he wants but his stock fade and draw doesn't move anywhere near as much as some may think.

He can move it as much as he wants but his stock fade and draw doesn't move anywhere near as much as some may think.

That's what I figured.

I was at the Barclay's (watched David Toms birdie #9 during the ProAm, then took a pic with BMan... one of the weeks highlights) and was amazed at how straight the guys hit the balll. I had convinced myself that "Hogan, Trevino, and Nicklaus all played a fade; so should I" not realizing that these guys make it look so easy because they hit the ball so straight. When I fade the ball I FADE the ball. These guys hit it straight and the ball farts a bit in the air pushing it right or left a few feet.

Lots of work to do.

I've seen the same thing at every tour event I've been to. The ball flights have a hint of a draw or fade. At least that's true for players I've watched.

Erik_K

New
I've seen the same thing at every tour event I've been to. The ball flights have a hint of a draw or fade. At least that's true for players I've watched.

That's what I have seen too. They hit a pretty straight ball. There are some guys like Watson who hit monster hooks and slices but what have seen at a handful of events are people hitting the ball fairly straight and there's a gentle draw or fade bias.

jimmyt

New
Whenever the golf tele-casts show shot tracer the ball always seem to go stright or a hint of movement right or left. Pretty much what everyone has been saying in regards to tour quality ball striking.

I have never, ever been able to match that tight of a ball flight. Tour ball flight with the exception of Bubba fall left or right. Mine move immediately left or right.

I play to about a 6 handicap........do I just suck or what. Can I ever aspire to that kind of tight ball flight?

Whenever the golf tele-casts show shot tracer the ball always seem to go stright or a hint of movement right or left. Pretty much what everyone has been saying in regards to tour quality ball striking.

I have never, ever been able to match that tight of a ball flight. Tour ball flight with the exception of Bubba fall left or right. Mine move immediately left or right.

I play to about a 6 handicap........do I just suck or what. Can I ever aspire to that kind of tight ball flight?

I haven't lost hope... and I'm a 12.

(the level of hope fluctuates wildly however)

Status
Not open for further replies.