Wrist Cock

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried intentionally cocking my wrists and I hit my shots with an open club face, is this a result of forcing the wrists to cock versus letting them cock naturally?

As Denny said, heck your right wrist motion.

Also, check that your left hand heel pad is directly on top of the grip. The last three fingers will hold the grip in the base of the left hand with the pad on top.

Burner

New
Any attempt to add to the lead wrist cock at the top of the swing usually only results in bending the wrist back - cupping it, in other words.

If you are unsure as to how much your wrist should cock then simply extend your leading arm straight out in front of your body (no club needed), palm facing to the rear and back of the hand facing to the target, make a fist and there is your wrist cock.

Have to keep the left wrist straight no matter how you cock your wrists. The right wrist folds or bends, it never cocks like the left one. I like the image of pulling a cord to start a lawn mower or outboard engine for the right wrist. At set up, I start the swing by "pulling the cord." And by all means check out Brian's twist to the top wrist action. Its all there.

I also feel that the "left bent wrist" at set up must get straight at takeaway and the "right straight wrist" at set up must get folded at takeaway, both as soon as possible.

I like to look at Jim Furyk's takeway to see this opposite wrist transformation move. Check it out.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Great advice guys!

Also try NOT cocking your wrist AT ALL during the swing WITH LOOSE WRISTS.

Just let the club's weight and the stroke do the 'cocking.'

It seems like you are "double cocking" your wrists, which leaves the clubface open. The left wrist should never bend when the left wrist cocks.

It's an up and down motion with a FLAT left wrist. For my grip, the left wrist cocking action bends the right wrist; it may be the same for you. Let the clubhead do the cocking and you should feel pressure on the last three fingers of the left hand (PP#2).

ej20

New
Regarding the flat left wrist,where should it become flat?As soon as possible in the takeaway?Or later on in the backswing?

As we all know,the left wrist is slightly cupped at address.Would it not be easier and more repeatable to maintain that slight dish angle throughout the swing?

A personal observation, any and all comments welcome!
The position of my hands at address, not up and down but fore and aft, in relation to pants zipper and crease in pants seems (actually does) to influence several positions at address and during my swing.
At address w/ hands more forward.
1. Weight distribution on feet.
2. Straightness of right arm. (possibly r. forearm more on plane, need to read more TGM)
3. Shoulder tilt, right lower.
4. Head more behind ball. More tilt from waist up.
During take away.
1. Clubface looking at ball longer.
2. No rearward hip slide/ right leg angled forward more. Entire body more stable/ no moving off ball.
IOW With the proper hands position at address(for me, maybe too far forward for others, grip cap almost in line w/ pants crease) vs closer to zipper, I seem to stay on plane/hit better shots.

quote:Originally posted by ej20

Regarding the flat left wrist,where should it become flat?As soon as possible in the takeaway?Or later on in the backswing?

As we all know,the left wrist is slightly cupped at address.Would it not be easier and more repeatable to maintain that slight dish angle throughout the swing?
What you are asking is what Johnny Miller and Ben Hogan both recommended at one point.

The flat left wrist makes it easier to get on plan, have a square face, etc.

The key point to remember is that it must be flat at impact.

Eminem

Banned
quote:Originally posted by ragman

What you are asking is what Johnny Miller and Ben Hogan both recommended at one point.

Wow your actually posting as ragman - thats nice...

What made you use this ID, perhaps you would rather post in your 10,000 other ID's you've created....

ej20

New

I definitely agree that the leading wrist need to be flat or even supinated at impact,but I don't think it needs to be during the backswing and transition.Two of the most textbook swings in the game by the name of Faldo and Elkington both display a dish angle at the back of the left wrist except at impact.You will not see either player miss a shot to the left very often.

Ragman,I don't really understand how rolling the leading wrist flat makes it easier to keep on plane and keep a square face unless,maybe you have a weak grip.I can see how it could help hit a draw and for the the weaker players to square the clubface at impact.

I definitely agree that the leading wrist need to be flat or even supinated at impact,but I don't think it needs to be during the backswing and transition.Two of the most textbook swings in the game by the name of Faldo and Elkington both display a dish angle at the back of the left wrist except at impact.You will not see either player miss a shot to the left very often.

Ragman,I don't really understand how rolling the leading wrist flat makes it easier to keep on plane and keep a square face unless,maybe you have a weak grip.I can see how it could help hit a draw and for the the weaker players to square the clubface at impact.
With players with a "strong" grip, they are usually rotated well-through to help them hold the face open with more tilt.

They still have a pretty flat wrist through impact. If they were to unbend the right wrist (coming down) the club would be thrown over the plane.

Rotating through so hard helps them to hold the face open and move their plane line more left (as most hit fades as their stock shot).
quote: ej20 are you ragman too ? - a guy with 20 posts asking a question towards ragman - how nice
Don't really know what to think of your infatuation with me.

ej20

New
quote:Originally posted by Eminem

ej20 are you ragman too ? - a guy with 20 posts asking a question towards ragman - how nice
No,I am not Ragman and I was not directing a question specifically to him.I don't post much but read mostly cos I believe that wisdom and knowledge enters the head through open ears and not an open mouth.

Eminem,I think you need to stop being so paranoid.

Eminem

Banned
2 hrs between my post and ragmans next - then a whole 5 minutes - about the right ammount of time ragman uses to log out and log back with an alias to post ej20's reply.....

Or perhaps your going to say this is just coincidence....

Brian Manzella

Administrator
[8D]

The left wrist NEEDS to fatten as SOON AS POSSIBLE in the golfer who had NEVER HAD A FLAT LEFT WRIST.

If you know how to wind up with one...then by release point is a very good idea;)

quote:Originally posted by brianman

[8D]

The left wrist NEEDS to fatten as SOON AS POSSIBLE in the golfer who had NEVER HAD A FLAT LEFT WRIST.

If you know how to wind up with one...then by release point is a very good idea;)
are you saying you could lag it by bending the left wrist?

Status
Not open for further replies.