Wrist Cock

Status
Not open for further replies.

ej20

New
quote:Originally posted by brianman

[8D]

The left wrist NEEDS to fatten as SOON AS POSSIBLE in the golfer who had NEVER HAD A FLAT LEFT WRIST.

If you know how to wind up with one...then by release point is a very good idea;)
Would you recommend flattening the left wrist on the backswing for someone with a strong left hand grip?Won't that end up with a shut clubface at the top?Not that you can't play well with a shut clubface...just maybe not as consistent,which of course is the aim of good technique.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
ej20,

I really have to see it in person.

Teaching is as much an ART as it is a SCIENCE.

But, off the top of my head I go for very slightly bent at the top for a strong grip.

ej20

New
That's one thing I have noticed about Tiger today.He plays with a strong grip and he flattens,even bows his left wrist on the backswing.He ends up with shut face at the top,which was how he swung when he was 16(I have his swing sequence).

When he was killing his driver and winning all those majors,he had a slight bent in his left wrist at the top and a much more square face.

The driver is not a forgiving device and maybe this is the cause of his driver woes.

quote:Originally posted by ej20

That's one thing I have noticed about Tiger today.He plays with a strong grip and he flattens,even bows his left wrist on the backswing.He ends up with shut face at the top,which was how he swung when he was 16(I have his swing sequence).

When he was killing his driver and winning all those majors,he had a slight bent in his left wrist at the top and a much more square face.

The driver is not a forgiving device and maybe this is the cause of his driver woes.
Tiger has a neutral grip now. I have recent sequences and you can see that his clubface matches his flat left wrist.

As it does here:

fa1979b2.jpg.orig.jpg

You can see also Redgoat's analysis of his swing (from his recent tournament). http://www.golftipscc.com/profiles/index.html

Last Months "Golf Digest" JMiller suggested that strengthening Tiger's grip would solve his problems???????

ej20

New
He does appear to have a square face in that sequence but he certainly have changed his swing.His plane seems too flat half way back,pointing well in front of the ball and he seems to almost bow his left wrist.I have a 1999 sequence of his swing and halfway back his plane was much more upright,pointing in front of the ball with a slightly cupped left wrist.

Perhaps he should go back to his old swing.

ej20

New
quote:Originally posted by mb6606

Last Months "Golf Digest" JMiller suggested that strengthening Tiger's grip would solve his problems???????
Well,my opinion is strengthening his grip like he used to would allow him to have a square face at the top without having to bow his left wrist.Keeping a dish angle at the back of the left wrist on the backswing makes it more natural for a steeper plane back.

Status
Not open for further replies.