You have to start somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Today is the day.

My long-time goal of getting back in shape.

I will run later this afternoon, and we will see where I am there.

For now here is the starting point: weight 219 % of body fat 31%

Man, if I weighed 219, I'd look like I'd been smoking crack, lol! Stay with it, man.

Stay focused, you'll get there.

Brian,

What are you going to give up to shed some pounds? I usually have to give up beer and bread if I want to lose more than 5 or 6 pounds. I wish you luck.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
I started two weeks ago....i'm down 6lbs already. Started @ 237lbs, going for a maintenance weight of 190lb or so by springtime.

Tom Bartlett

Administrator
Had him running wind sprints earlier this evening. I know one of the things he is doing is counting calories. I believe he is cutting some carbs too. And, soon we'll be doing some weight training.

What's the goal Brian?

well i can safely say i have never done a workout in my life.

ever.

i am 6'1 and weigh 11 stone, which translates into .... 154 pounds i believe. should i start?

should i have posted this in the thread in golfing discussions?

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
diet is more important. eat right and you won't have to count calories.

Sometimes people really don't realize how much they are eating or the type of food they are putting in their bodies, for people who really want to maximize weight loss i always recommend people write down what they eat and count.

For a lot, it's quite an eye opening to see how much fat, sodium, and carbs one puts in their body per day.

well i can safely say i have never done a workout in my life.

ever.

i am 6'1 and weigh 11 stone, which translates into .... 154 pounds i believe. should i start?

should i have posted this in the thread in golfing discussions?

Dude:

Try mixing in a cheeseburger once in a while ! :)

Sometimes people really don't realize how much they are eating or the type of food they are putting in their bodies, for people who really want to maximize weight loss i always recommend people write down what they eat and count.

For a lot, it's quite an eye opening to see how much fat, sodium, and carbs one puts in their body per day.

that makes sense as an exercise but no one counts calories forever. people quit diets because its a pain having to constantly think about how much they have already eaten, can they eat this, or can they eat this on a cheat day type thing.

LOL, i'd stay away from the cheeseburger and go for some chicken/salmon

You non-Canadians may not be familiar with this guy, but Randy here doesn't mind cheeseburgers.

Trailer+parkers.jpg

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
people quit diets because its a pain having to constantly think about how much they have already eaten, can they eat this, or can they eat this on a cheat day type thing.

Losing a lot of weight effectively and safely isn't an "easy thing." You don't have to watch what you eat when working out, but to optimize you do.

Trailer Park Boys is so good!

Randy!!

Gut hanging out in every shot......

Julian- rum and Coke in every shot........(even when he climbs out of a car wreck).......greatness.

PS good luck Brian.

Losing a lot of weight effectively and safely isn't an "easy thing." You don't have to watch what you eat when working out, but to optimize you do.

Sure you have to watch what you eat even if you work out(if your goal is to lose weight, that is). Working out isn't a terribly effective way to cut calories. Its alot easier to not eat dessert than to burn off 300 calories on a treadmill. Added muscle from strength training will boost metabolism, but not enough to bring someone from obese to normal weight.

A lot of people that think they are going to lose weight just by working out end up gaining weight because they work off 300 calories and then "reward" themselves by eating something high calorie(overestimating the calories burned and underestimating the calories eaten).

Exercising is important for maintaining good health, but to simply lose weight, eating right is much simpler and effective.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Sure you have to watch what you eat even if you work out(if your goal is to lose weight, that is). Working out isn't a terribly effective way to cut calories. Its alot easier to not eat dessert than to burn off 300 calories on a treadmill. Added muscle from strength training will boost metabolism, but not enough to bring someone from obese to normal weight.

Cutting calories will help you lose some weight but not all of the weight you want because by cutting calories ONLY your body will actually start to store more fat to use for energy because of the lack of food you are eating. Obviously this will depend on how much weight you need to lose and your body fat percentage. If you are slightly overweight (5-10lbs) sure cutting out dessert and not drinking a bunch of sodas will probably do most of the work.

A lot of people that think they are going to lose weight just by working out end up gaining weight because they work off 300 calories and then "reward" themselves by eating something high calorie(overestimating the calories burned and underestimating the calories eaten).

Those people are stupid, plain and simple and i have no qualms about saying that either.

Exercising is important for maintaining good health, but to simply lose weight, eating right is much simpler and effective.

I probably wouldn't be able to find many trainers or health advocates who would agree with what you said. The most effective and healthy way to lose weight is to increase exercise and cut calories. Exercising properly (either weight lifting or cardio) will burn a lot of calories and also help boost your metabolism to burn more calories throughout your normal daily activity. As mentioned previously if you simply cut calories and have a lot of weight to lose and/or body fat you won't end up at the weight you want. This is the main problem with fad diets, they make you believe that you can simply "eat right" and shed tons and tons of pounds which won't happen. You will lose initially but plateau quickly and will have to increase the amount of calories you burn via exercise otherwise you will just sit at that weight. Now you could cut even more but as i said above, you will probably lose muscle mass because your body will store more fats to use for energy and while you are losing weight you will look flabbier.

Here are some good articles to read:

Fitness Nutrition Weight Loss Article

Why Cutting Calories Makes it Harder to Lose Fat

The above articles are only 2 of probably millions that you can read but show my point

Status
Not open for further replies.