You have to start somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
A calorie burned is a calorie burned...there's no magic formula that makes a HIT calorie worth more than a normal cardio calorie.

Sorry Jim, wrong again. You know GOLF, I know EXERCISE.

"Interval training increases post-exercise energy expenditure (calories burned following exercise) more than steady-state exercise, which means that more fat is burned. After intense exercise, the body needs extra calories as it works to repair muscles, replace energy stores (i.e. carbohydrate) and restore the body to its normal state (e.g. reduce heart rate). As this can take many hours, you will keep on burning more calories long after the workout is over. In fact, research shows that metabolic rate is higher for several hours following interval training compared to steady state exercise."

There are also other advantages such as increasing your VO2max.

I understand it's important to lift while training, but i don't understand your "lifting = more muscle = more calories burned." Can you explain more?

If you lift properly and put on muscle, your body will need additional calories to operate. Think about it, you have 2 men:

Man A = 180lbs with 12% body fat...............................Man B = 180lbs with 32% body fat

Which one is going to NEED more calories to function properly? The more muscle you can add and more fat you can lose, the better your "furnace" will run.

PS The above example is a perfect reason why it's important to properly calculate how many calories to consume in a day. The popular Harris Benedict Equation that uses your BMR I believe isn't very accurate because it doesn't account for body composition. I have a very complicated multi-step equation I could share but it would take forever to type. I've done it once and it took me close to an hour to calculate.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
In fact, research shows that metabolic rate is higher for several hours following interval training compared to steady state exercise."

What is the difference between the two? Is there a certain "range" that is considered "interval training" versus "steady state?"

Thanks for the edumacation ;)

Steady state is going at the same pace for a certain amount of time, say 30 minutes.

With intervals, you alternate high intensity periods with low intensity periods. For instance, if you're using a cycle, you'd do something like 30 seconds of fast-as-you-can peddling, followed by 90 seconds of lower intensity peddling. The benefits are said to be a similar amount of work in less time, as well as the elevated metabolic rate afterward.

GOOD WILL

GOOD POST

THATS THE WAY IT was explained to me afer surgery

except 30 (for me) was to much

i started with 10......peddling......now after a year or so....i can do

20.....top speed......but i do the whole thing for 45 min

20 fassssst........40 medium

back to 20 fast..etc etc

PS The above example is a perfect reason why it's important to properly calculate how many calories to consume in a day. The popular Harris Benedict Equation that uses your BMR I believe isn't very accurate because it doesn't account for body composition. I have a very complicated multi-step equation I could share but it would take forever to type. I've done it once and it took me close to an hour to calculate.

hey curtis, here is my email, micah.dashfan87@gmail.com and my AIM is rockmusicfan87 if you have AIM... I really want to talk to you about losing weight, my body make up and what would be best for me. I need someone to walk me through some stuff. Ill give you my story when you contact me.

I would really appreciate it bro.
Thanks,
Micah.

Status
Not open for further replies.