Golf Books

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks to all that have contributed. I plan to consolidate the listing to post in a week or so for all. Keep them coming. Someone had recommended Bertholdy Book for exercises. Didn't like the descriptions I have heard and I'm not a big believer in your "mind" learning static positions over a long period of time. Anyone have thoughts on his book?

quote:Originally posted by kmmcnabb

Thanks to all that have contributed. I plan to consolidate the listing to post in a week or so for all. Keep them coming. Someone had recommended Bertholdy Book for exercises. Didn't like the descriptions I have heard and I'm not a big believer in your "mind" learning static positions over a long period of time. Anyone have thoughts on his book?

It takes a lot of time to get there, but from all accounts it is the real deal.

cdog

New
Most of these books are probably at your library.
TGM for dummies....already has been printed, it's the little yellow book, it's just that most make it hard, i know i certainly did.
Mike Finney said it best...TGM is the 3 imperatives, all the rest is window dressing......(maybe those weren't his exact words but the meaning is the same).

Equate everything you study to the 3 imperatives and achieving them with the essentials and it's pretty simple, the hard part is training your body to do it repeatedly.

Thanks all, still want anyone with first hand on Bertholy (spelling?).

cdog,

Amazingly, our library only keeps fairly current golf books so I have been picking up some good ones for reading later (after I retire probably). I have found many (especially some of the older ones) reference things that match Homer and support his findings. Some have some nice drills too to reinforce which is what I am interested it for working on my game.

I hope to make a listing of ones that are especially good at supporting Homer and hope some others know of any I may miss.

Still working on imperatives and will stick with TGM since my Air Force Golf team brother-in-law swears by it. Scratch golfer since the early 80s. Can't remember who he learned from but I know he works out at a TGM place in Myrtle Beach (my old home town).

Keep the info coming.

Thanks all, still want anyone with first hand on Bertholy (spelling?).

Hi,

I have the Bertholy book and been to a Bertholy school in Virginia. IMO the Bertholy exercises focus on producing a max-trigger-delay double-shifting Swinging pattern. The static holds may be useful for some, particularly those inclined to Swit as they are designed to rein in the troublesome right side. Bertholy believed that the right shoulder roll, right arm cast and right wrist cast are the prime impediments to good golf swings. Much of this is in alignment with TGM .

Golfie

Thanks to all that have contributed. I plan to consolidate the listing to post in a week or so for all. Keep them coming.

I have "Swing like a Pro" by a Dr. Mann, I believe - It's been some time since I read it, but even although he was not one of the players analysed, the computer generated "pro" has an Ernie Els like swing.

They provided a companion CD that inluded a screen saver - I have been watching that swing for several years now (it switches between clubs and viewing angles. I think the screen saver had helped me more than the book did!

Has anyone compared the findings of this book with TGM?

I have "Golf Swing Construction 101" by Paul Bertholy and it is one of my favorite golf books. But my #1 book is "Practical Golf" by John Jacobs.
Paul

"Four Magic Moves to Winning Golf" by Joe Dante, 1962. "On Learning Golf", Percy Boomer. Any of Mike Hebron's books. Five Modern Fundamentals by Elkington. Golf Swing Secrets Revealed by Wild Bill Melhorn. Johnny Millers first book, cant remember the title and Trevinos "Figure Eight Swing" both from early seventies. All good.....JW

Absolutely agree on Joe Dante and Percy Boomer books ( not seen the others ).

Do you think that Joe Dante's early wrist set with some right forearm rotation ( anticlockwise ) achieves similar positions to Brian's "Twistaway". I think so but Dante puts much more emphasis on the EARLY / IMMEDIATE wrist movement to achieve the correct wrist bend whilst Brian specifies bend / not cock and can do it any time really.

Percy Boomer - great stuff!! Name drops a bit but then I heard all the best teachers do!!!!:D Charm overcomes all!

I am not familiar with Brian's 'twistaway' concept so cannot commment.
The counter-clockwise forearm rotation of Dante is required due to his weak left hand grip. A stronger grip with the left hand allows you to just hinge the right hand back on itself without any forarm rotation in either direction. And I agree I think Dante overdid a good idea and the wrist cock is completed too early. It can tend to interfere with a full torso pivot. The trick is how do you blend the three parts: wrist hinge and cock, arm swing and torso pivot so that they blend into one synchronized motion. Boomer's book is the best, lots of real gems in there.

quote:Originally posted by golfbulldog

Do you think that Joe Dante's early wrist set with some right forearm rotation ( anticlockwise ) achieves similar positions to Brian's "Twistaway". I think so but Dante puts much more emphasis on the EARLY / IMMEDIATE wrist movement to achieve the correct wrist bend whilst Brian specifies bend / not cock and can do it any time really.
golfbulldog,
Yes, Dante’s move is related. However, even closer is the move taught in “The Square-to Square Golf Swing” (1970) – “curling under”. It is the same as Brian’s twist-away. It is indeed a very useful concept.

Mandrin - are you familiar with the history of "Square to Square" method created in the late sixties by Jim Flick and Dick Aultman? Golf Digest did a bunch of articles on it and it was heralded as "The New Move" that would solve every golfers woes. They were teaching it at the very first Golf Digest schools. I tried it faithfully and it ruined my game as a promising junior player. I actually quit golf at age 15 it got so bad.

was at the second MORAD school that Mac put on in 94 with a dozen other teaching professionals and at lunch one day we all got to talking about square to square and lo and behold five of us at that table had all tried it, ruined each of our games, and three of us quit for some time! And we were not alone. A few years ago Jim Flick demonstrated what a true gentleman he is by writing a letter to Golf Digest actually apologizing to the golf community for creating and advocating the method. He readily admitted it was deeply flawed. The curling under part as I recall wasnt the really bad part, it was some other stuff which I have thankfully managed to totally forget! And from what I have been reading here about how effective Brian's teaching concepts are, I doubt very much if his stuff is anything like square to square. Respectfully,

Jim Waldron

quote:Originally posted by bpgs1

Mandrin - are you familiar with the history of "Square to Square" method created in the late sixties by Jim Flick and Dick Aultman? Golf Digest did a bunch of articles on it and it was heralded as "The New Move" that would solve every golfers woes. They were teaching it at the very first Golf Digest schools. I tried it faithfully and it ruined my game as a promising junior player. I actually quit golf at age 15 it got so bad.

was at the second MORAD school that Mac put on in 94 with a dozen other teaching professionals and at lunch one day we all got to talking about square to square and lo and behold five of us at that table had all tried it, ruined each of our games, and three of us quit for some time! And we were not alone. A few years ago Jim Flick demonstrated what a true gentleman he is by writing a letter to Golf Digest actually apologizing to the golf community for creating and advocating the method. He readily admitted it was deeply flawed. The curling under part as I recall wasnt the really bad part, it was some other stuff which I have thankfully managed to totally forget! And from what I have been reading here about how effective Brian's teaching concepts are, I doubt very much if his stuff is anything like square to square. Respectfully,

Jim Waldron

Thank you for this enlightening post.

All,

Sorry I have been away for a few days on a trip. Thanks for all the input. I will pick up Bertholy and Practical Golf (one easy to find, other more difficult). I would recommend a few from Alex Hay for those who like TGM. Hay has two that are great, Mechanics of Golf and The Golf Manual. Both are excellent and have many of the TGM concepts in them which include FLW/BRW, hitting down on all shots, grip (which is exactly like Brians in Building Blocks but Hay gets there differently), and other things too numerous to mention. Great, great reads and I plan to use the Manual of Golf to get my son started (great learning tool with TGM fundamentals).

I will start the video section on a new thread today but will say that the vids I like are:

All of Brians stuff here (especially Building Blocks and Do it Right). I love Bobby Schaeffer stuff too and have all of it from OHP. Bobby teaches fundamentals of TGM and has lots of info on drills and how to work from up from basic to advanced.

quote:Originally posted by bpgs1

Jim Waldron
Jim,

The first book , ‘The Square-to-Square Golf Swing’, published by Dick Aultman and the Golf Digest staff of journalists, was followed by a second one, ‘Square–to-Square Golf in Pictures’, by Jim Flick. Its purpose, to try save the method as there had been difficulties in understanding and application by high handicappers.

I don’t really think S-t-S Golf so much as a method but more as an effort to teach the general accepted ideas of the pre 70 era. There is too much of a forward bend and steep back swing. It is a lead side dominant swing as most instruction of that time.

I don’t really see it to be seriously flawed. Most of the elements in these two books are still with us in golf instruction. I believe however that the ’curling under’ move of the last three fingers of the lead hand is a subtle but very valuable bit of instruction. IMO it is the same as Brian’s twist-away.

You mentioned in one post eloquently the problem of communication in golf. Probably too often a nightmare for teachers with many students. In the second book Jim Flick relates to this relative to ‘curling under’.

Jim explains that he prefers now using ‘setting the angle’ instead of ‘curling under’ since many readers interpreted it to mean such an extreme counter-clockwise turning of the hands that the right wrist actually began to crawl over the left during the takeaway and lock. Many problems as a result.

Mandrin - thank you for your clarification. I was not aware of the second book by Flick. It makes sense. I think the curling under idea is sound as Dante presented it but I dont believe in a weak or even "neutral" left hand grip for any golfer(at least anyone other than an already gifted ballstriker who is happy with their current skill level) but understand why curling under creates some good stuff in the swing when using a weak left hand grip.

I think vaguely that the lead arm pulling action, as you said a very traditional concept, is what got me into trouble. As you now know, I teach almost an opposite concept, no pulling or pushing toward the target on the downswing with either arm independently. Torso and core muscles on the left side create a pulling force and feel and on the right side a pushing force and feel, but Core - not arms independently. Do you recall seeing the Flick letter? I cant remember if he explained what exactly was so wrong with the method or not. It would be interesting to ask him how he now understands it.

Jim Waldron

Status
Not open for further replies.