Left hand only shot

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:Originally posted by MizunoJoe

quote:Originally posted by brianman

The right arm IS connected to the right shoulder now isn't it?

Yes, that's the transfer function I mentioned. But is that all you're saying - that the right shoulder moves the inert left arm via the PASSIVE right arm OR are you saying that the right arm can be ACTIVE in some way?

Exactly my point!

quote:Originally posted by tongzilla

The right arm IS connected to the right shoulder now isn't it?

Yes, that's the transfer function I mentioned. But is that all you're saying - that the right shoulder moves the inert left arm via the PASSIVE right arm OR are you saying that the right arm can be ACTIVE in some way?

Exactly my point!

Which of the two is your point - the right arm active in some way or passive only?

I'll bet X that there is muscle activity in the right arm.

But...really....what difference does it make?

Are you saying that there is some sort of activity and that it's automatic, so it just happens? Even if that's the case, I would want to know what that "activity" is, if for no other reason than curiosity.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
So would I.

But. this is just a crazy debate, because you can certainly pull with both arms at the same time, and you can certainly pull with the left and push with the right at the SAME TIME.

I just started this thread because I thought it was neat how Daly could wallop the ball one-handed. I'd like to be able to do that too so I figured I'd ask for some pointers.

I've played at least 100 rounds with Bobby Schaeffer where he lets go with his right hand AFTER IMPACT like a baseball player. He hits it MORE than 300 yards and I've seen him shoot 64 to 68 like this many times. That said, he can't hit it anywhere with JUST his left arm. Brian is right on about all this. And this just might be the swing of the future. Try it.

quote:Originally posted by billmckinneygolf

I've played at least 100 rounds with Bobby Schaeffer where he lets go with his right hand AFTER IMPACT like a baseball player. He hits it MORE than 300 yards and I've seen him shoot 64 to 68 like this many times. That said, he can't hit it anywhere with JUST his left arm. Brian is right on about all this. And this just might be the swing of the future. Try it.

What is Schaeffer "doing" with the right hand through the impact interval? Or is it just a stabilizing mass along for the ride?

Bobby's own words: "long story short, the right hand is contributing for back-up support and provides uniformity of the hinge." So, the right has nothing to do with "rolling" into follow-through actively. I've seen him on video and his impact alignments sustain as well as Hogan's with this method. Did you see Gregg's video at Grumpygolf?
If you'd like to learn more, come to one of our 3-day seminars in Australia with Gregg McHatton, Steve Khatib, Bobby and me in January:)

jr33

New
Billy Mckinney is in the house how about posting up one of your swing clips? This is John in MV thanks.

John, I've got an hour or two open this Saturday. It's about time for your next check-up.

And by the way, the best grip for one-arm swinging is probably STRONG SINGLE!:D

Bobby's own words: "long story short, the right hand is contributing for back-up support and provides uniformity of the hinge." So, the right has nothing to do with "rolling" into follow-through actively. I've seen him on video and his impact alignments sustain as well as Hogan's with this method. Did you see Gregg's video at Grumpygolf?
If you'd like to learn more, come to one of our 3-day seminars in Australia with Gregg McHatton, Steve Khatib, Bobby and me in January:)

Very interesting - Thanks for the quote. Yes, I've seen Gregg's video. Research shows that in better player's CF Swings, right hand grip pressure goes to near zero shortly after release and well before impact. Perhaps this letting go with the right hand could actually start happening before impact.

jr33

New

John, I've got an hour or two open this Saturday. It's about time for your next check-up.

And by the way, the best grip for one-arm swinging is probably STRONG SINGLE!:D

Working this weekend, I will look you up after my system migration is complete.

Very interesting - Thanks for the quote. Yes, I've seen Gregg's video. Research shows that in better player's CF Swings, right hand grip pressure goes to near zero shortly after release and well before impact. Perhaps this letting go with the right hand could actually start happening before impact.

Please tell us more about this 'research'.

Thanks.

'Evaluation of golf club control by grip pressure measurement'

Budney & Bellow
Dept. of Mechanical Engineering
University of Alberta

From Science & Golf
Proceeding of the First World Scientific Congress of Golf

This paper discusses grip pressure and its relative importance in the mechanics of the golf swing. Two aspects of grip pressure were investigated; the first was whether golfers should deliberately apply light or firm grip pressure. The method involved a specially designed golf club with pressure transducers which conform to the shape of the grip.

The second objective was to determine the precise moment (and corresponding position in the downswing) when the golfer "hits" with each hand. In this paper, the pressure impulses related to the "hit" with the hands are related to results from a dynamic model of the swing. In relation to this aspect, professional golfers demonstrate common features. Differences as to the timing of each hand and the extent to which each hand is involved in the late hit impulse is shown to vary considerably amongst golfers.

The diagrams associated with the pressure measurements show that for an 11 handicap golfer the right hand pressure (presumed by the researchers to be indicative of the 'hit') peaked 0.03 seconds (1 video frame) prior to impact, dropped and then went up again at impact. The duration of the drop in pressure is so small that the 2 sides of the trace touch.

For two professionals (they only included graphs for 2 as they were all similar) the right hand pressure peaked 0.07 and 0.05 seconds (apx 2 video frames or '6/100s') before impact, went down and was near zero at impact and then continued down to zero shortly (equiv. to apx 1 video frame) after impact.

In addition right hand pressure in transition (top of swing) increased for the 11 hdcp and decreased for the professionals.

Yes, most certainly Swingers, since Hitters would not have pressure dropping off through impact.

Information on this research comes from a post on the SA Forum about a year ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.