Left knee moving towards the ball and hips rotating outside of left leg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jwat

New
Played today, shot 75 w/ 13 GIRs. Didn't make any putts but hit the ball pretty solid. Really focused on staying above the plane and swinging more arms less body. It was weird, when I hit it flush it didn't go as far as I thought it should. But when I missed it, it went farther than I thought.

Any ways thanks to bmanz for the video and instruction as well as everyone else for their comments. Will post up a video when I play tommorrow.

You are obviously very athletic, but, as you said, your body isn't keeping up with your hands. That appears to be because your body only slides laterally, you don't get much rotation until after impact. You also let the right elbow get behind you.

Watch the hip slide:

Jwataddress.png
Jwattop.png
Jwat45.png
Jwatimpact.png
Jwatfollowthrough.png

A good model for you would be JB Holmes. He rotates beautifully and drives his right elbow (transverse adduction) very well.

JB sets up a little more behind the ball with a wider stance:

JwatJBaddress.png

Similar at the the top but JB has more internal rotation in the right hip:

JwatJBtop.png

JB is rotating and driving the right elbow, you are sliding and casting. Also, JB has bowed both legs and has good bend in the hips and knees, preparing for a powerful extension (or "jump") through impact. You are just standing there with no place to go.

JwatJBleftarmparallel.png

Nearly all your lag is gone: your hips are square, JB's are open. Your body is doing all it can to deliver power to the ball which means "cast" if your body doesn't rotate:

JwatJB45.png

Impact: JB's is facing the target and his hands are about a foot forward of yours:

JwatJBimpact.png

Another view of impact:

Jwatcroppedimpact.png
JBimpact-1.png

That's a great comparison!

Interesting to see what the right elbow does, as mine does more what jwat's does, but he has much better lower body movement than me. Looks like a very strong swing though.

Jwat

New
Okay been working on the things Brian suggested in the video. Also, MJ helped me with my left hand grip which was not in the fingers enough to help my wrist restrictions. Right now I am not really hitting the ball any better. I have been working really hard on getting my back to the target. A couple of things I feel like I am struggling with:

1. Still have way too much body movement (lateral sway) in the DS
2. Definitley tugging hard and cant get the arms to release.
3. My misses have been low pull draws w/ driver, and thin with the irons. (when I stay above plane this helps these misses)

Anyways I am feeling like to not tug on the club I have to employ more carry. It is not something that has been associated much with the early release so I am wondering if this right. Regardless, I definitley have been dealing with a big power leak the last few months.

While not an expert by any means, I would suggest trying the following (based on my own experiences with the new release)

Make sure you turn somewhat onto your right side in the backswing. Then try and keep your back to the target out of transition, and instead of immediately turning the shoulders, sway a little laterally to the left (keeping back to target) as your hands go wide (in the opposite direction to the body sway) to start the downswing.

Hopefully this way you'll keep your back to the target a little longer and by going wide with the hands you'll contain the mass of the club head (rather than throwing it out early). By turning the shoulders as your first move it won't really matter how wide the hand path is, because the hands are connected to the shoulders.

Tom Watson: My power key never gets old: Golf Digest - Tom Watson essentially says the same thing here, although not in reference to the centre of gravity of the club.

Also this looks like a decent example to me:

Last edited:

Jwat

New
No offense, but I think any sort of lateral movement for me is bad as well as trying to copy Sergio movements. If anything, I need to be trying to do the opposite of what he does.

Believe me, I am doing everything in my power to keep my shoulders closed and start the DS with my hands/arms, it just aint happening.

Thats fair enough, was just looking at it myself and it looked to be a good example of what the guys are talking about

I think I remember reading somewhere that you are either rotating or swaying, not sure if its true. That thought helps me anyway but everyone is different.

Status
Not open for further replies.