NO JUSTICE FOR DUSTIN

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah, he was obviously rattled and not thinking clearly...hit a really poor drive and was trying not to blow the tourney.
he hit it so far right that it carried, what, like 30 rows deep into the crowd?
he had no way to "frame" where he was because of how far out he was, having to move all of the spectators just to clear a path so he could get to his ball - if there weren't hundreds of people all around, he may have noticed he was in an area that looked like a hazard, and then asked for a ruling.
i agree that if these "bunkers" were hazards, then the PGA should have marked them. however, with all the traffic, the paint would have probably been long gone anyways...
i feel terrible for the guy.

greenfree

Banned
The PGA should have simply marking paint marked all the bunkers that there may have been an issue.

The PGA could have kept the fans out of the bunkers—they did in the playoff, check the tape.

The PGA could have WNET OUT TO THE POT and drew what they DEMMED TO BE THE BOUNDRY, AFTER going to overhead shots of that hole taken before the tournament.

What a TERRIBLE day for golf.

The PGA should define and keep fans off the arena of play period. What other sport allows fans on the field of play , what a joke! Maybe the NHL can allow fans on the ice this year, see how that turns out. Feel bad for Dustin, but he took it like a real Pro, classy guy. Plus that's what you get when you go overboard tricking out a course with over a 1000 bunkers, goofy.

Last edited:
Just My Opinion

The PGA failed at course set-up.

The Rules Official failed to do his job and let the player know the conditions of his lie and all applicable rules.

OK they told the players that all bunkers would be played as hazards, which is a terrible local rule for a major championship, but it didn't even look like he was in a bunker, I've been in more sand than that in the middle of a freshly top-dressed green!!! I really place little to no blame on Dustin Johnson, when you've had to hit a great shot to win a major then you can say what Dustin should have done.

The PGA should stay as far away as possible from Pete Dye courses and his goofy course designs with tiny little bunkers that are way out of play and his obsession with putting railroad ties all over golf courses. (I realize that Sawgrass is one of the most anticipated courses of the year, but IMO it's just as tricked up and 17 is one of the worst holes in golf.)

Dustin Johnson is a world-class guy and I give him mad props for handling the situation like he did. I definitely would have made a stronger case that I was not within the boundary of the hazard.

The PGA must of known they made a BS call because if he really was in a hazard then he would have had about 8 penalty strokes, he touched the ground 2 or 3 times before addressing it and then touched the ground at address, if you're gonna screw a guy out of a major on a bad ruling at least be consistent.

This doesn't take anything away from the Major itself, obviously still a great tournament to win full of great players, it only takes away from the PGA's tournament director and rules officials, completely embarrassing.

Just a bad decision. As the notification said of the bunkers outside the ropes they are 'part of the game'.

But it is a decision none-the-less, made by the tournament officials and all competitors have to live with it. Shame, but they must have had their reasons.

Lots of traditional links courses have these areas all over the place. They just don't call them bunkers (or brag about having 1,200 hazards). You can ground your club, but it is very difficult not to improve your lie if you do, so in effect you do end up treating them as such, but it avoids any ambiguity.

Whatever the case, Dustin has shown himself to be a gent. Definite doff of the cap to DJ.

The Players Championship is now the Fourth Major. The PGA is just another tournament in August.

Please no :(. What about the Australian Open? South African Open?

People love to gush about whistling straits and how great it is. There are some great par 3's, but for me the course is a horrific example of bad taste, with a tremendous number of blind shots and one of the ugliest, most ridiculous 18th holes ever in a major. The 18th looks like they tried to turn the scraps of land not suitable for anything else into a golf hole. Did Pete put traps in the parking lot and the pro shop as well?

It's a monument to bad taste, a McMansion built for a toilet magnate. If dye's design philosophy was turned into toilet design, they'd all come with hundreds of handles, none of which you could see and half the handles would be in your kitchen. The course is worse than Sawgrass, which is saying a lot.

5000 bunkers!!!! This must be the biggest and best course ever!!!

So mciilroy hits the best shot of all the leaders into the 18 green and what is his reward? A 25 foot birdie putt. He ends up with par like the people who ended up 60 yards short of the pin.

And the PGA couldn't be bothered to keep the gallery out of the bunkers on 18? What a joke.

Last edited:
I think the PGA acted perfectly appropriately in this situation. They had no other choice. They clearly addressed the issue with the players prior to the tournament. Additionally, they stated the rule in incredible detail. They warned precisely about this type of thing happening when they stated that areas with where fans had trampled bunkers or carts had been driven through bunkers would still constitute bunkers for rule purposes. They obviously contemplated that spectators could walk or stand in bunkers. The idea of local rules is always a part of the game and is often used in other situations. That's why players are given rules sheets.

It is not a rules officials job to hold a players hand as the player goes around the golf course. They are not there to warn a player against breaking a rule. They are there if a player asks for a ruling.

Dustin Johnson hit a drive well off line as many players do. Since he was physically able to do that and there was nothing but grass and sand out there how could it reasonably be be said he is outside the boundary of the course? Think St. Andrews.

Presumably deconstructed bunkers with broken down edges, etc. are a part of the design and the look of bunkers varies at Whistling Straits. If you wanted them to go out and mark all bunkers for rules purposes what criteria would you use?

Dustin Johnson is a PRO. This is his job. I like him a lot and I'm sure he is going to do very well in the future, but he screwed up. It is very unfortunate but he just didn't do his job very well.

And what is the job of the PGA official, to protect the field. This could very well been a situation where Dustin Johnson makes the putt and wins the tournament and another player looking at the footage, says wait a second, he grounded his club. That player might say, "I know the rule and it is clear. He grounded his club. If I have to abide by the rules why doesn't Dustin Johnson?"

As upsetting and controversial as the situation is, I think it ultimately reflects great credit on our sport.

greenfree

Banned
I think the PGA acted perfectly appropriately in this situation. They had no other choice. They clearly addressed the issue with the players prior to the tournament. Additionally, they stated the rule in incredible detail. They warned precisely about this type of thing happening when they stated that areas with where fans had trampled bunkers or carts had been driven through bunkers would still constitute bunkers for rule purposes. They obviously contemplated that spectators could walk or stand in bunkers. The idea of local rules is always a part of the game and is often used in other situations. That's why players are given rules sheets.

It is not a rules officials job to hold a players hand as the player goes around the golf course. They are not there to warn a player against breaking a rule. They are there if a player asks for a ruling.

Dustin Johnson hit a drive well off line as many players do. Since he was physically able to do that and there was nothing but grass and sand out there how could it reasonably be be said he is outside the boundary of the course? Think St. Andrews.

Presumably deconstructed bunkers with broken down edges, etc. are a part of the design and the look of bunkers varies at Whistling Straits. If you wanted them to go out and mark all bunkers for rules purposes what criteria would you use?

Dustin Johnson is a PRO. This is his job. I like him a lot and I'm sure he is going to do very well in the future, but he screwed up. It is very unfortunate but he just didn't do his job very well.

And what is the job of the PGA official, to protect the field. This could very well been a situation where Dustin Johnson makes the putt and wins the tournament and another player looking at the footage, says wait a second, he grounded his club. That player might say, "I know the rule and it is clear. He grounded his club. If I have to abide by the rules why doesn't Dustin Johnson?"

As upsetting and controversial as the situation is, I think it ultimately reflects great credit on our sport.

Maybe that course is ill suited to hold a Major as 1200 bunkers and no where for fans to view the action except in one of the bunkers is a bit goofy, hey a bunker for everyone , bring your beach blanket and picnic basket, just watch out for the golf carts passing through as they tend to kick up the sand. :D

btp

New
Read the local rules, at a bare minimum he should have asked the official if it was a bunker or not. Maybe they were too busy trying to get the crowd away from the ball.

PGA "expert on golf" commercials, kind of ironic

There was a rule. Dude broke that rule. Can't change rule because it "sucked".

You want to say "give him a break" but you CAN'T. Dustin clearly grounded his club right before he backed away from the light. You can clearly see him regrip the club. It sucks but you can't do anything about it. I'm sure the other 2 players felt for him as well. You hate to see someone go out like that. Dustin is my favorite golfer, he is cool like a cat. If that would have been me I would have given that Gatorade bottle a rid.

ZAP

New
If that happens to me I may need a few minutes to break some shit before I talk with the media. Wish I could say I would have handled it as well as he seemed to. Class act.

Stupid player and stupid caddie. Rules are given to you in every event you play before you tee off that goes for junior events,PGA events,Major championships, World Series of Poker, School basically everything in life has rules and guess what its the players responsibility and if they dont know they can ask the 100 rules officials that walk the grounds, The rules official has no oblication to tell you the rules when you hit a golf ball only when the player is in doubt does the official come into play once again the players responsibility. The rules official does not have to tell you the 5 options everytime you hit a golf ball! Why was the caddie watching from 30yds away when the whole world was watching the ball? Maybe if Dustin didnt have bad grades at Coastal he would of got a somewhat education Stupidity is the hardest thing to teach! no excuse he lost fair and square.

Stupid player and stupid caddie. Rules are given to you in every event you play before you tee off that goes for junior events,PGA events,Major championships, World Series of Poker, School basically everything in life has rules and guess what its the players responsibility and if they dont know they can ask the 100 rules officials that walk the grounds, The rules official has no oblication to tell you the rules when you hit a golf ball only when the player is in doubt does the official come into play once again the players responsibility. The rules official does not have to tell you the 5 options everytime you hit a golf ball! Why was the caddie watching from 30yds away when the whole world was watching the ball? Maybe if Dustin didnt have bad grades at Coastal he would of got a somewhat education Stupidity is the hardest thing to teach! no excuse he lost fair and square.

Well that "stupid player" could probably beat you 1 handed. Yes, he lost fair and square and he would be the first to say it. Did you hear him complain ONCE? I don't think so.

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
Anyone who defends this absurdity of a local rule needs their head examined.

I am so tired of the USGA executive committee and every fat ass that had their name mentioned in the awards ceremony yesterday being the "rulers" of golf....

I hate Rich Lerner, but I agreed whole-heartedly with his essay...that what happened yesterday probably turned off a lot of casual fans

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
People love to gush about whistling straits and how great it is. There are some great par 3's, but for me the course is a horrific example of bad taste, with a tremendous number of blind shots and one of the ugliest, most ridiculous 18th holes ever in a major. The 18th looks like they tried to turn the scraps of land not suitable for anything else into a golf hole. Did Pete put traps in the parking lot and the pro shop as well?

It's a monument to bad taste, a McMansion built for a toilet magnate. If dye's design philosophy was turned into toilet design, they'd all come with hundreds of handles, none of which you could see and half the handles would be in your kitchen. The course is worse than Sawgrass, which is saying a lot.

5000 bunkers!!!! This must be the biggest and best course ever!!!

So mciilroy hits the best shot of all the leaders into the 18 green and what is his reward? A 25 foot birdie putt. He ends up with par like the people who ended up 60 yards short of the pin.

And the PGA couldn't be bothered to keep the gallery out of the bunkers on 18? What a joke.

GREAT post. I agree.

Toilet King to Pete Dye "make this look like Ballybunion".....(because I am richer than God and while I can never legitimately break 100, I still want to exert my dominion over golf)

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator

Disagree with every part of this post.

TGC showed a aerial view of 18 from before the tournament with no crowds and clearly
they were sand bunkers. IMHO Dustin and Caddy got caught up in the drama of the moment and lost sight of the rules.
Go to the 40 second mark of the video for a decent view of 18 and all the bunkers.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUwHpNunF3s[/media]

Wow, I'm really surprised by a lot of these posts and a lot of TV opinions. Here is the deal, you were warned multiple times the situation with the bunkers, you must be aware of local rules if you want to compete at a high level. Shame on Dustin for ignoring his rules sheet. Next, I dont know about all of you, but if my ball is ever lying in a sandy area, I ALWAYS proceed with caution. How could a light not go off in his head and say hey, lets see how to proceed before addressing the ball. I cant believe in his interview he was that unaware of what he did. Even in the video he touched the sand then looked around, seemingly questioning if he just infringed on the rules. He should have then called over an official. I think he tried to purposely brush it off and try to get away with it. Next, since when does a rules official tell you, hey your in a bunker, you better not ground your club. It's Obvious! As for why not play them as a waste area; who's to say what is a waste area, and whats not. The course is designed with 1200 bunkers, not 400 bunkers and 800 waste areas, it is what it is. I was absolutely impressed positively by the course. I usually do not like newer courses hosting majors, I enjoy the classics, and was not looking forward to this, but through the week I was really impressed by Whistling Straits. Also, when I think of spirit of the game, remember golf in its truest form is "play the ball as it lies", footprints or not. I know my opinions are just that, but seriously, I enjoyed this tournament more than the others this year and feel that golf was presented in its rightful and desirable manner this week. Finally, give it up for the truest gentleman, Bubba Watson, and the truest champion Martin Kaymer (I hope he wins a lot more).

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
Interesting take Dan....I never thought of him as trying to get away with something.

I don't agree, but interesting take none the less.

Next, I dont know about all of you, but if my ball is ever lying in a sandy area, I ALWAYS proceed with caution. How could a light not go off in his head and say hey, lets see how to proceed before addressing the ball.

This is smart. Even if it is not a bunker and you are on some sand, I've always been very careful about grounding my club. Less because someone is going to say "that's a bunker", more because it is a fine line between grounding your club and improving your lie in these situations. Or accidentally moving the ball.

Likewise if it is windy and balls are oscillating on quick greens. If there is the chance, best not to ground the club anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.