NO JUSTICE FOR DUSTIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

greenfree

Banned
The ruling was correct - simple decision, golf 101.

However, the local rule was utterly retarded. The group of knuckle heads that got together and decided that seemed like a fair rule should not be allowed anywhere near an AJGA event much less a major.

Thank goodness he missed the "winning" putt.

On a possibly inflammatory note - does anyone think the same ruling would have been made on the world's #1 (considering his history of favorable rulings)?

They wouldn't have to as he wouldn't have grounded his club. I agree on the local rule as utterly stupid considering the crowds were allowed to trample through the so called bunkers like grazing cattle. Maybe they could have the crowds have access to every part of the course including the greens next time.

Last edited:
To all the Rules Experts on the forum: I don't have one of them fancy new 3D televisions, but to me it looked like there were people standing inside the so-called bunker as he hit the shot. Is that in the rules? It also appeared that the so-called bunker was at least 10-15 feet higher in elevation than the fairway. In the true definition of the word "bunker", can that truly be a bunker? THE MAN WAS ROBBED.

To all the Rules Experts on the forum: I don't have one of them fancy new 3D televisions, but to me it looked like there were people standing inside the so-called bunker as he hit the shot. Is that in the rules? It also appeared that the so-called bunker was at least 10-15 feet higher in elevation than the fairway. In the true definition of the word "bunker", can that truly be a bunker? THE MAN WAS ROBBED.

Yes it was in the local rules they handed the players, and told them in every way possible, spectators due to the large number of bunkers may enter them but they still remain bunkers.

Bad break yes but Dustin brought it on himself as he stated so perfectly to CBS "Maybe I should have read the rules a little better".

On a possibly inflammatory note - does anyone think the same ruling would have been made on the world's #1 (considering his history of favorable rulings)?
Good question. . . .no way they would have called that on Eldrick.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Questionable decision not to call them waste areas
No brainer penalty.......they were given the rules, period.
Dustin Johnson, world class gentleman. What class.

I agree with those folks who question the original decision to play those areas as HAZARDS. I don't think it's so much a question of whether they were "bunkers." It was a matter of deciding to make those sand areas (typically waste areas) play as hazards for the tournament. And that may have been a bad decision.

There is an analogy here: lots of courses have local rules to play grassy areas as water hazards, and if you find your ball in that area you cannot ground your club - even though there is no water to be found, anywhere around. So they aren't really water hazards but they have been designated as such by local rules. Now, water hazards are easier because they have red stakes/lines, of course.

But the rule was the rule and would have applied to Tiger or anyone else.

On the pga.com stream they read out the memo that was sent to the players and it was unbelievably clear and explicit: it said that all sand areas were to be played as hazards. It went on: they are still hazards even if they haven't been raked; even if they have been walked in by spectators or driven through by carts; even if they are well outside the ropes. This memo was placed inside the locker of every player, including DJ.

When has Tiger received a favorable ruling?

When his ball left the boundaries of the course (i.e. over the club house and into the front parking lot) in Akron. And when the same ball was looked for for longer than five minutes.

"Out of Bounds
"Out of bounds" is beyond the boundaries of the course or any part of the course so marked by the Committee."

That's two favorable rulings just on one shot.

Spoke with someone who is a rules expert and told me the official should have warned Dustin of the fact. I just saw on the golf channel when the US Senior Open was there the officials were instructed to intervene and let the player know that they were in a bunker.

dlam

New
Dustin, feel sorry for you man.

Golf is full of silly rules.

If the officials thought Dustin ground his club twice it would have been two more stroke making total 4 penalty strokes.
Silly.
I think one of the worst rules is when the ball sudden moves on the green from a strong gust of wind when I'm addressing the ball without me touching the ball. Instant penalty stroke.

IMO some golf rules not reflect the spirit of the game.

Last edited:
to me...no one has brought up the margin of the hazard.....picture an augusta national bunker with blow out in the bottom lip of the bunker.....through the course of the day a lot of sand has gotten out of the blowout and spilled over into the fairway....your ball is on this sand outside the margin of the hazard....you are not in the bunker and you can ground your club....

i think dustin could have made a case that where his ball was located could have been considered outside the margin of the bunker....

dlam

New
When I saw Whistling Straits course on TV today, looked like a fair course, rewards accurate+ long hitters, and those with a super short game and no trick greens. Then by the end today I changed my mind. Pete Dye got carried away with too many sand traps that are not clearly marked Sure make it challenging to have bunkers everywhere, but make it clear it's a sand trap. Not a "half-azz hazard" that D Johnson got into today.

Last edited:
There are too many bunkers on this course. It's overkill. If they didn't let the fans walk in them, they would probably have to limit the spectators. They could easily get rid of at least half of these bunkers and it wouldn't effect play at all.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
The Fault, The Blame, and The Facts.

The PGA should have simply marking paint marked all the bunkers that there may have been an issue.

The PGA could have kept the fans out of the bunkers—they did in the playoff, check the tape.

The PGA could have WNET OUT TO THE POT and drew what they DEMMED TO BE THE BOUNDRY, AFTER going to overhead shots of that hole taken before the tournament.

What a TERRIBLE day for golf.

Dustin, feel sorry for you man.

If the officials thought Dustin ground his club twice it would have been two more stroke making total 4 penalty strokes.
Silly.

IMO some golf rules not reflect the spirit of the game.

It did look like he grounded the club a few times right before his practice swings and when there was a shadow moving. He should have been reminded and/or told the ball was in a bunker just because that was a spectator area. As Feherty said, "it may have been a bunker at the beginning of the tournament, but not by now".

Damn shame.

Ryan Smither

Super Moderator
i'd bet we'll be hearing from other participants over the next few weeks about how much emphasis the rules committee placed on this rule.

i think it shows just how much pressure the guy was feeling.

this one belongs right up there with the chris webber timeout.

Status
Not open for further replies.