NO JUSTICE FOR DUSTIN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it legal for Bubba's caddy to walk over to Kaymer's ball and take a look at his lie before Bubba hit his ball.

There was a discussion of this on PGA.com before/after Bubba shot (can't remember which). One commentator implied that this was not done in PGA golf. Maybe one of those unwritten rules. And an honourable one.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
I'm really bummed for DJ, who I was pulling for.

However, the PGA designated all sand areas as hazards at the beginning of the week and they sent CLEAR memos to each and every player. The memo explained that even areas that had been walked in and driven through and were unraked and were outside the ropes, were still hazards. They told them all this. clearly.

So none of us get to decide if it is a waste area. It is a hazard because the local rules say it is, and therefore DJ incurred a 2 stroke penalty.

There was no robbery here and no arbitrary decision by the PGA.

Maybe next time they will reconsider whether to designate areas like that as hazards, but that's a different story...

Didn't read whole thread and don't have too, this post pretty much sums up my opinion.

This situation reminds me of a saying:

"The government makes laws, so they can catch people breaking them"

How is it possibly reasonable to have people in the bunkers, and to have them surround the player?

On the other hand how many times do they bomb it into the gallery and receive a nice lie do to the tamped down rough? Without galleries there would be no PGA tour.

greenfree

Banned
Greenfree,

Look 5 posts up from your last one. Ryan pointed that out to me, I'm sorry if that offended you. Although, I'm still not convinced. It looked to me like it was all one motion, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. BTW, really thought his interview was poor as well, but I know, I am not in his shoes.

Sorry, i didn't see Ryan's post.You didn't offend me i just have a different take on it. He just lost out been in a playoff for a Major so the fact he did an interview at all was good of him, a lot of others may have refused.

I agree with anyone who thinks this was bad for golf. Horribly unlucky both for Dustin and in fact the PGA that this should happen on the last hole. However, I think the caddie is getting away with it big time. The players' mind under that sort of pressure and in that position is not thinking normally and the caddie HAS to take over, anyone can carry a bag and give a yardage but under pressure is where a great caddy comes into his own. Bubba Watson's caddy should be sacked, Dustin Johnson's caddy should be sacked and Steve Elkington's caddy should be sacked. They were all useless yesterday.

what happened with elk?

SJO

New
what happened with elk?

Well the bogey he made on 17 was from a perfect shot that went through the green. He didn't need a birdie so it's unforgivable for his caddy to let him hit a club that could go over the back. 30 feet short would have been fine. Very Amateurish.

dbl

New
Reese Jones has commented that he thought DJ's ball was in a blown out area of the lip of a bunker, but actually outside where the lip had been. I tend to agree, based on rewatching of videos of that shot.

If so, THEN Johnson was nailed unnecessarily and unjustly with that penalty. That is also part of the travesty.

For all you people arguing about being in a bunker, you have to deal with this destroyed buynker and what the original contours are. And it does not seem that that any RO's went back to that spot to visually confirm one way or another. We are told that Price had to go up to DJ on the 18th green and wait while the other RO's rewatched the videos again and again.

DJ said it never occurred to him that he was in a bunker. Let's see, I'm on a golf course with about 1200 bunkers, probably close to 100 of them on the 18th alone. My balls not on grass, but sand or dirt. There's flyers up in the locker rooms, bathrooms, and the local rules sheet has the bunkers as it's number one item. I think the fact that it never occurred to him that he was in a bunker has to go down as one of the biggest mental errors ever to have cost someone a chance at a major.

In my opinion, only DJ and his caddie are to blame. Not the PGA, Pete Dye, or a rules official.

Kaymer kept the cool head, made the clutch putts, and is the true Champion.

Maybe it's just me, but what a mess that area was. Don't they have trash cans in Wisconsin? I was at the Open in St. Andrews, and didn't see so much as a gum wrapper laying on the ground.

A few tweets from his peers...

@Ianjamespoulter: Gutted for Dustin shocking rule, 900+ bunkers and probably only 100 rakes I don't get it, sorry Dustin you deserved to be in the playoff

@ PGA_JohnDaly: So, a sandbar off Lake Michigan considered a bunker too if that's what they're sayin--

@RickieFowlerPGA: No telling what I would have done...from the tv coverage I never once thought of him being in a bunker just thought it was a bare spot

@JasonGore59: Dustin Johnson. Way too handle an absolute BS ruling. Great playing. Your time is near.

@PGA_JohnDaly: So that means the sandy cart paths that I saw & other players hit off of are also considered bunkers?!

@RickieFowlerPGA: Proud of the way my boy DJ handled the ruling...I think a bunker that fans have been standing in all day should be considered a waste bunker

@CaseyWittenberg: Wow! The PGA of America just became the biggest joke in golf history! That could be the worst ruling I hv ever Whistling Straits is an fantastic course but MUST rethink the bunkers out of play. Or manage crowd better. It shouldn't cost anyone a major.heard of in my entire life!

@Brian_Gay: 18 at Whistling Straits one of worst par 4s in golf... Along with 12 at Bethpage

You know, the NBA would fine all these guys $20,000 each. I dont agree with any of these statements but at least they can have an opinion without Old Man Stern breathing down their necks. Sorry, off topic.

good point, although they are all still PGA Members Class A-2 I believe. Dont get me wrong, I think its good to an extent that they can voice their opinions. Controversy is generally good for popularity (I believe).

btp

New
If the ruling went the other way, I'm sure a bunch of pros who read the rules would have been all over the PGA about integrity.

Can you imagine what we would be talking about if he hadn't been given a penalty and then made the putt? Wow, DJ should be thankful the way it turned out. If he hadn't been given the penalty and then won, a lot of people would be considering him a cheater that stole the PGA.

In a weird way I almost think this will wind up being a positive for Dustin.

1. We knew it already, but it was reinforced that he is a class act and someone who will not make excuses.
2. The amount of fans I bet he gains from this past year will skyrocket his popularity.
3. He has now seen the worst possible endings to majors, and in the same year, at a young age. He will be ready next season.
4. You've got to think that he will have massive amounts of karma on his side now ; )

Unbelievably harsh ruling, and it was brutal to watch him go through that, but I think he, more than anyone else on the PGA tour, can handle it and grow from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.