Ben Hogan and his Three Right Hands

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish I had a dollar for every time someone said they knew Hogan's secret. I could have retired already.

I always ask the secret "finder" to post up their stats. Fairways hit, driving distance, GIR, and putts per round to see just how "Hogan-esque" they really are.

The way I see it, if you're playing casual rounds on an average rated course and you truly found Hogan's "secret" you should hit 13-14 fairways with about 280yds driving distance. Hit 16-18 greens in reg, and average 30 putts a round since you're going to be hitting it inside of 20 feet most of the time. I also expect those stats to be pretty consistent over a year or so. That to me would be "Hogan-esque".

To this date, not a single person has felt the urge to post up their "Hogan like" stats for me.

I don't want to sound rude or obnoxious, and this is not an attack on chooch...but these claims of finding "Hogan's Secret" rub me the wrong way. It's all so silly. I even went and spent an afternoon with a guy who lives in San Antonio that claims to be the "Foremost Hogan Expert" in the world, and who claims to be able to teach "Hogan's swing" exactly like Hogan did it.

PFFFFFFFFFTTTTTTTTTTTT. He couldn't teach you to hit water if you fell out of a boat, let alone how to hit a golf ball like Hogan.

Heck.....most of the people that claim to know Hogan's secret have swings that look more like Nicklaus than Hogan. It's mind boggling the amount of mythology that surrounds Hogan.

I love Hogan. I'm a HUGE fan. But this "secret" nonsense needs to stop. The only thing I'd be interested in seeing in regards to Hogan now would be if someone could extrapolate what his Trackman numbers would be. I would love to see that.

ds, you are correct, vj has it. i also was a doubting thomas, believing that it was a media myth thing that hogan rather enjoyed. that was until i found it. changed my whole theory of the the way the ball should be struck. not even close to the teachings to date. the only way i could even come close to explaining it, is comparing it to opening a door. you just turn the handle, right? which way is the right way? turn it to the left or turn it to the right? i can't wait for the doubters to respond to that statement with there witty quips. lol

dbl

New
cooch, what makes you think Hogan knew this 'secret' and others do not? Aren't other golfers releasing the club similarly (though Hogan may have been able to do it more repeatedly)?

Dariusz J.

I thought VJ Trolio found the secret out.

He found a correct thing, yet couldn't explain it the way it should be - i.e. how to put the linear motion into the cascade of automatically subsequent events. But even if it is done this way - it is not the entire secret.
The true secret, IMO, is to ensure the cascade of events as much as one physically is able the way the very downsiwing phase is forced and, thus, automatic and repeatable. Hogan was the best in it - not only because because of his pelvis area CoG shift but, primarily, because he achieved his arms in a unchanged position to hit the ball earlier than everyone else. His motion in the late downswing was pure automatic because there were no other biophysic option. That's all very shortly although one could write 100 pages about the subject.

Cheers

natep

New
Chooch has discovered the real secret to Hogan's swing, and it flies in the face of everything we've ever heard or read about the golf swing.

Which is of course why he's tantalizing people with it on a years old thread on an internet forum, instead of cementing his place in golf history and becoming incredibly wealthy. SNIFF, SNIFF. What's that smell?

That door analogy doesn't make any sense either. You can turn a door handle to the left or right. Unless it's a sliding door. Or a garage door.

Chooch has discovered the real secret to Hogan's swing, and it flies in the face of everything we've ever heard or read about the golf swing.

I haven't read the whole thread, but is it possible that "THE SECRET" wasn't mechanical at all? I've heard hints that maybe Hogan understood, in his own way, the D-plane. There was a thread somewhere, maybe here or maybe somewhere else, where Hogan was on the range and hit a shot that others might have called an "over the top" hook. He went away for a minute, came back, and mentioned something about the face being shut, not over the top. There is also the stance diagram, which would line up with understanding the D-plane (swing more left and down short irons, progress to more up and right with the driver). Just a guess on my part.

natep

New
I haven't read the whole thread, but is it possible that "THE SECRET" wasn't mechanical at all? I've heard hints that maybe Hogan understood, in his own way, the D-plane. There was a thread somewhere, maybe here or maybe somewhere else, where Hogan was on the range and hit a shot that others might have called an "over the top" hook. He went away for a minute, came back, and mentioned something about the face being shut, not over the top. There is also the stance diagram, which would line up with understanding the D-plane (swing more left and down short irons, progress to more up and right with the driver). Just a guess on my part.

I dont know..... You should run these questions by Chooch and see what he has to say about it.

Hell if I actually know anything about the 3 hands statement but wouldn't it be funny if it was a wiseassed remark by Hogan: Lloyd says: Ben you are playing better since you learned how to get your right hand out of the shot...Ben says, Hell Lloyd I wish I had 3 right hands!!!

The "(I wish I had) three right hands" statement is in 5 Lessons Oldpro. Basically, Hogan says that after a certain point in the downswing, he wishes he had three right hands with which to hit the ball (though he certainly does not say use your right hand straight away from the top).

How was Hogan to know that his every statement would one day be parsed for meaning as though it was a fifth gospel!

the only way i could even come close to explaining it, is comparing it to opening a door. you just turn the handle, right? which way is the right way? turn it to the left or turn it to the right? i can't wait for the doubters to respond to that statement with there witty quips. lol

I can't wait for chooch to post up his stats and swing video. Then we'll see which way to turn the handle on that door.

Is that "witty" enough?

Seriously...this "secret" nonsense needs to be held up to the light of day. Present some meaningful evidence and let's see how it holds up. There's no doubt that this forum has more great teachers and probably a lower average handicap than any other golf forum on the web. So your audience would be very discerning, and I would wager, extremely interested in what you have to offer.

oldpro

New
The "(I wish I had) three right hands" statement is in 5 Lessons Oldpro. Basically, Hogan says that after a certain point in the downswing, he wishes he had three right hands with which to hit the ball (though he certainly does not say use your right hand straight away from the top).

How was Hogan to know that his every statement would one day be parsed for meaning as though it was a fifth gospel!

LOL...excellent point and thanks. All my time around Bolt, Souchak I never heard anything about it...didn't know it came from the book, thanks.

dbl, you are right there are others that release the same. but it is not the release. the release is one of the results not the secret. the secret is in the set up, physics does the rest.

lol, brendan i feel as if iv'e done something bad, everyone is on my case. all i know is that it works for me. btw, the statement re ground pressures is not that far off, it is also a result not the cause. i say again, it is so simple no one accepts it. the best direction i can give is to watch the videos of sevam, it is all there, so obvious. it is in the preset setup. you need no swing thoughts what so ever. other than "hit the ball" hey otto, that speaks to me in third person, if i gave truman capote the secret, would he shoot scratch? if i gave it to joe dimaggio? well i guess you get the drift. again the secret is the "preset setup".........PRESET SETUP! otto, lol

Status
Not open for further replies.