The Release w/Brian Manzella & Michael Jacobs

Status
Not open for further replies.

footwedge

Actually u can hang on to a 98 mph fastball longer than a 68 mph fastball. It's all in the wrist flick.

68 mph is hardly a fast ball, more like a change up. Not the point anyways it was about how video can be deceiving to a person trying to figure out how it's done. And not releasing/flick but hanging on to it because it looks that way on video.
Not comparing speeds.

Last edited:

btp

New
I haven't watched the videos yet, but from the last few posts it sounds a lot like the puck release to me. Hogan's three right hands, Singh, Mickelson, Couples move, Dustin Johnson has a similar picture in the last Golf Week.

Works for those with a lot of lag and won't go left unless the body stops rotating.

Jwat

New
68 mph is hardly a fast ball, more like a change up. Not the point anyways it was about how video can be deceiving to a person trying to figure out how it's done. And not releasing/flick but hanging on to it because it looks that way on video.
Not comparing speeds.

My point is the pitcher does try to hang onto the ball. He isn't tying to release it as soon as he can.

footwedge

My point is the pitcher does try to hang onto the ball. He isn't tying to release it as soon as he can.

As fast, not as soon then he would be early. Your misunderstanding. Thats why I said he is trying to hit his release point as fast as he can. Get it. He's not trying to throw a fastball at 68 mph but 98mph he needs to get to the release point faster with more speed, not slower.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Thought this might help....

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/28845842?color=c9ff23" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen allowFullScreen></iframe>

footwedge

Thought this might help....

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/28845842?color=c9ff23" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen allowFullScreen></iframe>

Thanks Brian confirms what I thought. Hits his release point as good as anyone who ever played, doubt he's hanging on.

Jwat

New
I agree that a pitcher is trying to close the gap as soon as possible so I did mis understand you. And that is an excellent video of hogan. Really shows his CP moving away from the ball and the flick before impact.

footwedge

I agree that a pitcher is trying to close the gap as soon as possible so I did mis understand you. And that is an excellent video of hogan. Really shows his CP moving away from the ball and the flick before impact.

I could have probably said it better, anyways you were saying different release points with different clubs, how about different release points for different shots like a higher or lower shot etc., do you think that's an option.

Jwat

New
I think so since u would be moving your pivot more forward or maybe faster which would give u a different release point.

footwedge

I think so since u would be moving your pivot more forward or maybe faster which would give u a different release point.

I think so to. I think on some short shots you could add more flick with a different release point and hit a higher shot.

Last edited:

Brian Manzella

Administrator
And even better version with Hogan and Jones...

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Rz0W2b4rmwU?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This concept reminds me of Darren Clarke's comments on the Feherty Show. Clarke recalled one of Tiger's range sessions when Tiger was on top of his game, noting how amazing it was to see Tiger make a patch of shallow divots with nearly every club in his bag.

How about this for a visual?
(compliments of Jon Hardesty):

Amazing Footage of Tiger Woods 2000 Bangkok Complete Day 4 Warm-Up Routine uncut - YouTube

If almost "picking" the ball is optimal, then why did Hogan make divots with his 3-wood (which leads me to assume that he made significant divots with, say, a 6-iron).

lia41985

If almost "picking" the ball is optimal, then why did Hogan make divots with his 3-wood (which leads me to assume that he made significant divots with, say, a 6-iron).
Tiger swung more right, Hogan swung more left. If you swing more to the right you don't want want too steep an angle of attack (and the resulting deeper divots) because that'll push you're true path even more to the right. Vice versa for Hogan.

Ryan Smither

Super Moderator

Perhaps I should have been more clear. I never mentioned the word "picking," nor did I say anything about optimal. What I did say is that "this concept reminds me of . . . Tiger . . . in his prime . . . mak[ing] a patch of shallow divots with nearly every club in his bag." Show me a player that can do this, and I'll show you a player that can execute this concept - "the coupling point release."

I'm talking about practice, mannnnn. Practice. Not optimal. Practice.

Because I think the axis for line-up is the left forearm, extending down through the wrist, and further downward. As the club is swung into impact, the wrist is "mostly" uncocked. The more the wrist is uncocked, the more that axis is pointed toward a spot on the grip between the hands. The more cocked the wrist, the more the axis moves toward the back end of the grip.

So the magic "coupling point" appears to be between the hands in the impact zone, but the axis is pointing at different spots on the grip all the time, and sometimes not on the grip at all depending on wrist bend. But the actual coupling point is the center of the left wrist, and that point exhibits the same behavior that is described for the grip coupling point: low at the right thigh, up and left through impact, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.