It's Math Anyway (with a Brian Manzella video)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TeeAce

To me, the only reason in the world to trash TrackMan is if your preferred method is exposed by the device (usually it is a swing that is a line-drawing based with wildly inside-out paths, or snap releases and [or} up the left arm swing that produce very downward angles of attack).

Or you are just selling something, or someWAY else.

The rest of the world is using it or wishing they were.

Brian: tell me who the hell is trashing Trackman????

Saying that it's not the answer for EVERYTHING is far away from trashing.

It is everything for knowing impact which is what Brian has said all along. Brain has never trashed video, he just undersatnds its limitations and others want to stay in the past for some reason. There are at least two that I know of that don't believe in ALL of the impact data provided by Trackman as accurate because it has to make certain "calculations." They won't admit that the don't believe in all of the D plane because that will make them look foolish so they attack Trackman. If you just have pictures you only have half of the equation. Hopefully someone will post a picture that looks like a straight shot and square impact and the shot went 30 yards left or right (along with the Trackman data for the shot). People are living in the dark ages that avoid this machine (excluding those who avoid it for cost, understood) and just want to rely on video and eyeballing ballflight. Brain was the first to champion this product and its benefits so maybe others are pissed at his success with it.

Just show up at a PGA event if everyone who believes in Trackman is so foolish. They have video cameras, but when they really want to know what's going wrong they go flying to Trackman.

Xray of swing = video
MRI of impact = Trackman

Last edited:
Tackman experts! Calling all trackman experts! Hear ye hear ye! We need a trackman expert! Calling all trackman experts!

"Create" some TM data for this shot, ie estimate what COULD have been spat out by the Orange One:

Launch Monitor Exam for Intermediates Part 1:

A player hits the ball off the heel of his 7 iron. The ball starts on target and hooks 20 yds left with a higher than average ball flight. He takes no divot.

Estimate his AoA, horizontal face direction, dynamic loft, swing direction (HSP), and "resultant" path. Suggest what needs to be corrected and deduce any other impact factors which may, or may not be, be of relevance eg VSP. DO NOT include any actual instructional corrections eg grip changes, earlier/later torques, tumbles and the like. Stick purely to the impact factors which need to be changed.

This isn't for LM experts or owners. Having your estimating/guessing skills atrophy is one of the side effects of owning a proper LM. Why not direct the question to those who estimate/guess for a living?

[had a friend who's first swing on Tman gave an in to out path reading of 14* (he complained of hooks - 115 mph club head speed). The next swing (more left) he brought it down to 1*. He said he could never feel that difference without Trackman. Same experience for me (although my path was never that bad). Tman didn't turn him into a pro, but it showed him one big problem to work on to stop the hooks[/

"]I'm extrememly happy he figured it out with trackman but i'll play devil advocate so he couldn't feel the difference confuses me i play professional golf and if i didn't have feel i would quit playing for a living! Also he hated hooks are you trying to tell me he could'nt see the difference? There comes a point in life where no coach,machine,video,website will give you the answer and if they do give the answere you still have to do it]Just trying to understand why he didn't no the difference Thank You.

This isn't for LM experts or owners. Having your estimating/guessing skills atrophy is one of the side effects of owning a proper LM. Why not direct the question to those who estimate/guess for a living?

So LM owners loose their sense of feel? By definition those who guess must hone theirs? Can't really see that one bud, I'd have thought it was the other way round.

Wulsy, Besides not answering my question, why do you think that anybody can guess the TM data from ball flight? You know that ball fight alone can not be used to calculated back all impact parameters.

Most owners of LM start correctly guessing their LM parameters as soon as they saw the first few shots and start understanding which parameters are relatively consistent and which are not.

Last edited:
Sorry Frans. You mean this one:
why do you want to measure gear effect? Is the measured clubdata and ball data in your opinion not enough to derive the face angle at impact from it?

I do believe that TM algorithms are advanced enough to give very accurate face angle info. But why not measure, or try to measure, the GE aspect too? It is, after all, the only thing that seriously effects ball flight which is not being measured.

I know it can be deduced from current TM read outs that the ball must have been hit on the toe/heel. But you could theoretically leave one of the other "measured" parameters out and leave the user to deduce that parameter too. No? Why not include everything that you can?

There's no cognitive reference to feel DETAILED impact positions without Trackman (or FS). Until you use one you don't know what to feel to make very small changes to better improve impact conditions. Almost everyone that uses this machine comes away with the same positive eye-opening experience on how to improve impact. You need feedback to improve and at some point your eyes and video can't see the minutia.

Last edited:

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Fredrik Tuxen did a detailed Gear Effect segment at Anti-Summit II.

Since we are selling the video, it doesn't make much sense for me to post up the answers.

TeeAce

There's no cognitive reference to feel DETAILED impact positions with Trackman (or FS). Until you use one you don't know what to feel to make very small changes to better improve impact conditions. Almost everyone that uses this machine comes away with the same positive eye-opening experience on how to improve impact. You need feedback to improve and at some point your eyes and video can't see the minutia.

This absolutely works with better players like that.

But we all got our opinions of movements and we have to believe something. If I start with new good player, I first want to see his body movements, speeds, accelerations, orientations and many other things if he/she got issues on that side. And i.e. guys on satellite tour level usually got still lot of them. After I get their body working decent way in my opinion, the impact data comes to the top. So it's quite usually fine tuning when the engine is builded.

I would say perfect studio would include TM/FS, some kind of 3D device (our is best of source ;)) and pressure board like balance lab. I got here 2/3 and hate even think I would need to give something away. Just want to add that balance lab..

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Tapio,

I use TrackMan first.

NO WAY to get perfect numbers without making a REAL swing.

I change the least amount I have to.

I have used 3D and would get one for a studio. No doubt.

Unless the small video based systems get so easy to use outdoors....

Wulsy, Besides not answering my question, why do you think that anybody can guess the TM data from ball flight? You know that ball fight alone can not be used to calculated back all impact parameters.

Most owners of LM start correctly guessing their LM parameters as soon as they saw the first few shots and start understanding which parameters are relatively consistent and which are not.

Frans, I'm not asking for a definitive answer on what the impact parameters in this shot WERE. Just what they COULD HAVE BEEN. The shot exists, no?

TeeAce

Tapio,

I use TrackMan first.

NO WAY to get perfect numbers without making a REAL swing.

I change the least amount I have to.

I have used 3D and would get one for a studio. No doubt.

Unless the small video based systems get so easy to use outdoors....

Actually I use them side by side from beginning. I meant that I put more attention to the body movements first but of course check also how the club is acting and ball starts. Just a line in the water

Status
Not open for further replies.