Observations of late

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ball Position and Aim

Kevin,

I think ball position IS aim. Why do they move the ball for each different club when using Iron Byron, etc? It is because the ball flies at a different target with every club except if they change the ball position (or club position). Need some research on ball position as there is only the ball, club and golfer.

David

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Kevin,

I think ball position IS aim. Why do they move the ball for each different club when using Iron Byron, etc? It is because the ball flies at a different target with every club except if they change the ball position (or club position). Need some research on ball position as there is only the ball, club and golfer.

David

Well, Doc, I'm not Iron Byron. I have eyes and feet that can get out of sorts and adjust ball position to reflect that. Plus plane angles and paths that have an intended target and low point. The machines just make a swing so their ball position can be their aim.

Last edited:

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Kevin,

David

I have said that for years.

I think what Kevin is talking about is "Swing Direction" vs. Stance Line.

An analogy:

You are standing at the free throw line, with your feet square to the line.

With the goal in the regular location, the shooter shoots from a particular point on the body, toward that goal.

If the whole backboard, support, and goal is moved 30° to the left, the release point is moved 30° to the left, or you will be shooting a mini-hook shot.

So the ball comes out of your stance line apparently more leftward in your stance. In one respect it did. But really, you just adjusted everything 30° left.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
sergiocouple.jpg

ZAP

New
Spot on with all of it. Trying to get the CP to it's low point before the rear thigh continues to be a trouble spot for me. I am so used to continuing to drive my hands down through impact it is a work in progress. Thanks for the insights.

Spot on with all of it. Trying to get the CP to it's low point before the rear thigh continues to be a trouble spot for me. I am so used to continuing to drive my hands down through impact it is a work in progress. Thanks for the insights.
ZAP, what about trying to get the cp to low point under the sternum or "bowtie" I would think right leg would be tough because your body could be facing anywhere no?

ZAP

New
ZAP, what about trying to get the cp to low point under the sternum or "bowtie" I would think right leg would be tough because your body could be facing anywhere no?

Basically I am just trying to make sure it is still not travelling downward past the ball. My tendency is towards really high attack angles with my irons and some of that seems due to the fact that my hands work from high to low through the ball. It is way better than it used to be and I can see how well I hit the ball when I get it right. When I am at the range and I can hit shot after shot I can figure out the feels I need to have. Problem is trying to take it to the course and play. Thanks for the thought. I will see about it tomorrow.

Picked that up from MJ's site. Seems to be a easy check point to hit at full speed. Where the sternum is in relation to the ball at address is going to dictate the d-plane configuration. Great free videos over there

from just before impact to just after impact...

left should moves up and in
hands move up and in
right wrist goes from bent to flat
tumble + tilt

Nice, I've been looking at that picture for a bit and like what you summed up, but I think it could be refined a little.

Maybe the left shoulder moves up and back?
I think tumble has to already be well on its way, but still happening as from about waist high to waist high the club is acting as a free body.
There looks to be a lot of gamma also, but again that has more than likely been started way before.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
In the last phase of the downswing—from the time the clubshaft is just bellow parallel with the ground pre-impact though impact—the torques are as follows:

APLHA: from positive to WAY negative pre-impact and through impact.

BETA: from positive to WAY negative pre-impact and through impact.

GAMMA: from slightly negative to POSITIVE to and through impact.

In the last phase of the downswing—from the time the clubshaft is just bellow parallel with the ground pre-impact though impact—the torques are as follows:

These torques are measured at the handle, correct?

Could someone in the know explain the WAY negative beta move pre and through impact? I just can't seem to get my head around what's being described. Thanks.

Here's a link to Brian's photos of the forces:

http://www.brianmanzella.com/golfing-discussions/17543-shanks-manzella-answer-ages.html

Status
Not open for further replies.