Anyone see anything

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this can be a great thread because many golfers out there have similar issues.

Re Brian's comment about pokerlife's body not being open enough at impact- would you say at the end of the day you still have to teach the student to consciously use the pivot to move the pivot to its desired position to support the desired hand/club path, rather than letting it happen by itself via the torques and forces you're placing on the club as you eluded to previously?

For me Tong when I get the right handpath my body just knows that the pelvis has to be more open or I don't hit it. I have back problems so getting the hips open enough is something I unconsciously avoid. How do I avoid? By changing the handpath to something that does not require open pelvis. Result: no power, bad impact etc. So for me the pelvis does happen by itself and is dependent on handpath.

For me Tong when I get the right handpath my body just knows that the pelvis has to be more open or I don't hit it. I have back problems so getting the hips open enough is something I unconsciously avoid. How do I avoid? By changing the handpath to something that does not require open pelvis. Result: no power, bad impact etc. So for me the pelvis does happen by itself and is dependent on handpath.

My brother from another mother.:)

I'd pay $20 for a 20 minute video that had step by step instruction on how to fix this fault from the top. I've got alot of the same stuff going only I don't square it up as well at contact as the OP.

I've got some of this going on too I think. It never used to be a problem, but I hadn't played or practiced but twice over the last 4 months. I had a 3 or 4 month long kidney stone fiasco. It got stuck for 3 months, then they did a lithotripsy to bust it up. Anyways, they say it's gone but I still have some lingering pain. I lost between 10 and 15 lbs from the whole thing and I was already only 5'9" and 160 lbs. Last time I played it was nothing but crazy push slices and semi-shanks. Went out and practiced and shanked at least a quarter to a third of the balls. It seems like if I really, really focus on keeping my "bumpy back", and my weight more on my heels I can make decent contact.

This whole thing really bums me out because before the kidney stone I was playing the best golf of my life and had 3 consecutive lowest rounds. I'm thinking the lack of activity and weight loss from the chronic pain has weakened my body as a whole and is contributing to all of this business. I've been putting a little weight back on, but now winter is here and practice will be limited. Just got married and bought a house in October so what precious practice time I would have had has been spent gutting and remodeling a bathroom (you're welcome dear).

Last edited:

natep

New
I used to do this, too.

Finney posted something once about how you need the club to not be in the plane of the hands coming down. This out-of-plane condition gives you something to pull against, so that when they do eventually line up (the club and the handpath), you get a lot more juice on the club as it swings out. This helped me better understand the handpath and tumble stuff.

Sorry if that doesn't make sense, maybe Finney can help explain it.

Last edited:
No cure?? Didn't you just read what Brian said? You've been reading here for awhile, correct? You haven't picked up anything regarding tumble? When your hands go at the ball or pull the club in line with your hands, you will plow the club into the ground unless you do what your body does. Please don't listen to anyone who says its a body issue. The root is what you do with the club.

Yes I have been here for a few years and own soft draw and nsa .. Anything in either of those that explains tumble better?
I think i understand what your saying about club following hands on way down..
So i assume i need to find a different hand path on the downswing correct?

Does this mean you're happy with the way you hit it? Or are you looking to get a lot better?

I hit it just good enough to not be a hack so no I am not happy . I believe I and most of us here have crazy potential to be great at golf if we are willing to continue to learn. We certainly aren't lacking in the passion department :cool:

[video]http://www.brianmanzella.com/golfing-discussions/16575-tumble-no-tug-drill.html[/video]
This thread sums up tumble pretty well. IMO you must understand what Alexander Noren is doing.

Thanks Jermey , From what i read today I understand a little better. Headed to range to try it out. Will get some video even if it isnt pretty

It comes down to doing the thing that is most talked about and elusive in golf-

You must get the club horizontal enough WITH a vertical hand path coming out of transition. They don't go together but you have to find a way to do it. That is the only way to tumble. It takes patience and trust that you will hit it far enough without an all out pull from the top.

I hit it just good enough to not be a hack so no I am not happy . I believe I and most of us here have crazy potential to be great at golf if we are willing to continue to learn. We certainly aren't lacking in the passion department :cool:

The qualified guys will give the right advice, but if you also want a little unqualified to go with it... leave that 3 iron at the house. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.