#4 accumulator release point

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been thinking a lot about the role of the right elbow in the swing lately and came across a post about the the #4 accumulator (the angle between the left arm and left shoulder). Homer felt the #4 accumulator was a "checkrein" for the right elbow - a governor if you will. For you TGM fans, see 6-B-4-0.

It seems like the longer you can hold the angle between that left arm and shoulder into the downswing transition the better (more lag!). Seems a helluva lot easier to get the club started on plane too.

My question is, what's the optimal release point for #4? Does the pivot need to slow more to allow the power package to unwind?

Here's a couple of visual references. Looks like Sergio really hangs on to #4 no?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BbZLQIAbb-M&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BbZLQIAbb-M&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nTTQSSkIIjY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nTTQSSkIIjY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
When the clubshaft is vertical to the ground for the last time in the downswing is a good time to start releasing that accumulator via right arm addition.

Good question.

I've played around with this feel a lot over the years. I've played some great golf (for me) with the feeling that my compressed left arm never leaves my chest until the ball is gone.

As far as a point to "release" it? Yikes, I'm not that smart. I've heard guys mention the same thing as Kevin, but something that minute would overwhelm my feeble coconut.

I do a drill with students to explain that pressure at impact. It helps a lot with pitch shots: I have them take their address position and compress their left arm as deep as they can against their chest (no forearm roll or wrist hinge) without moving their shoulders. If you do it, you'll see your hands somewhere outside your right foot and your right elbow will be in front and slightly behind your right hip bone. From there, I'd have them leave their arms in place and pivot until the clubhead gets back to the ball.

All that said, take a look at Sergio or Jamie Sadlowski, their left arm pressure #4 is gone at impact and come back to their body at follow through...

Thanks for the responses.

I'm just looking for a more connected, less armsy swing. And it definitely feels like I can get more on top of the plane.

I'll give it shot, see what happens. :p

Brian Manzella

Administrator
One thing about Sergio, and other swing like that, early Bobby Clampett, Miek Finney, etc, they all have a low left shoulder WAY into the downswing.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
I lose at least 20% power (just a guess) when I keep the arm against the chest thru impact, and usually battle an open face. That is just me tho. As Brian said, if your left shoulder is higher coming in to impact, proceed with caution holding #4.

I lose at least 20% power (just a guess) when I keep the arm against the chest thru impact, and usually battle an open face. That is just me tho. As Brian said, if your left shoulder is higher coming in to impact, proceed with caution holding #4.

Just a side note....since there's no such thing as a heavy hit, do we use power and club head speed interchangably?

Bronco Billy

There IS a Heavy/Power Hit......

Just a side note....since there's no such thing as a heavy hit, do we use power and club head speed interchangably?

But.... There is NO Significant Gain in Distance with a Heavy/Power Hit.... But With a Heavy/Power Hit the ClubFace Slows Down a lot Less During Ball Contact Time Duration and Thus Stays on the Clubface Longer..... Have a Great Day With Your New Found Knowledge......:)

Ps. The Heavy/Power Hit is Superior Because of the Extended Time Duration on the ClubFace.... This Allows the Golfer More FeedBack for Controling FUTURE Shots.....Name a World Class Player that Does Not Have a Heavy/Power Hit????

Last edited:

Brian Manzella

Administrator
But.... There is NO Significant Gain in Distance with a Heavy/Power Hit.... But With a Heavy/Power Hit the ClubFace Slows Down a lot Less During Ball Contact Time Duration and Thus Stays on the Clubface Longer..... Have a Great Day With Your New Found Knowledge......:)

Ps. The Heavy/Power Hit is Superior Because of the Extended Time Duration on the ClubFace.... This Allows the Golfer More FeedBack for Controling FUTURE Shots.....Name a World Class Player that Does Not Have a Heavy/Power Hit????

The is no power gain from a "Heavy Hit" we have beaten this to death, and science won.

There are PLENTY of world class players with what looks like a little flip, a so-called, non heavy hit.

Little LOC

The is no power gain from a "Heavy Hit" we have beaten this to death, and science won.

There are PLENTY of world class players with what looks like a little flip, a so-called, non heavy hit.

Knudson was one of them. Archer was another.

Knudson was known as a ball striker too. He didn't have the extended LOC.

Archer, a great putter and iron player. Mediocre to poor driver.

Played with them both and had many a long discussion with each.

I'm can't think of any today??

Anyone?

Knudson was one of them. Archer was another.

Knudson was known as a ball striker too. He didn't have the extended LOC.

Archer, a great putter and iron player. Mediocre to poor driver.

Played with them both and had many a long discussion with each.

I'm can't think of any today??

Anyone?

Hmmm, to add a thought.

Knudson taught balance by describing to people that they were standing on the edge of a skyscraper and the ball was on a tall tee equal to the height of the building and even with the soles of their feet.

He would even hit shots off of a 6" platform with matching tee height to demonstrate. He was not a big proponent of smashing into the ground. He and Moe were on the same page with the "bacon strip" idea.

Bronco Billy

Can AnyOne Prove This Statement Wrong?

Different Golfers, Golfing Robots, Hitting Machines, Etc. Each Hitting a Golf Ball at 100 mph have Different CONTACT TIMES with the Golf Ball Even Though the Golf Ball goes the Same Distance with each Device.....

Ps. I Define Longer CONTACT TIMES with the Golf Ball as Heavy/Power Hitters......

Status
Not open for further replies.