am i flipping? (now with Manzella Answers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been lurking thru this whole post since it's inception. I'm starting to think I may be flipping. Never figured myself to be a flipper, guess it's time to check out COFF!

Last edited:
One thing about Brian's response, *I* do not monitor the #3 PP (aka the base joint on the right index finger) at all on the downswing. I 'monitor' it on the backswing due to the type of takeaway I use, but that was arguably the biggest thing that screwed *me* up. Every time I would focus on that pressure point, flip-city and I was on the Board of Commissioners.

Not saying that I don't think that another golfer can get it to work. But for me, the flip would happen and be caused by the right index finger. Tinkering around with it for awhile I found that when I would flip, it would take some pressure being put on the middle joint of the right index finger. I figure from the middle joint to the base joint is less than 1/2 inch that can cause a world of difference. So as far as that #3 PP, I'm not overly nutty about even mentioning it to people. Since I use 'force across the shaft' in my swing, most people assume that I use that pressure point, but I have to almost imprint it in their heads that I stay away from using that and actually use the #1 PP.

As always, interesting info on your experiences B-Man.

3JACK

One thing about Brian's response, *I* do not monitor the #3 PP (aka the base joint on the right index finger) at all on the downswing. ... Tinkering around with it for awhile I found that when I would flip, it would take some pressure being put on the middle joint of the right index finger. I figure from the middle joint to the base joint is less than 1/2 inch that can cause a world of difference.

For putting pressure on that middle joint...

See Hogan, Ben, _Five Lessons_, p. 28.
;)

And it's true, you can toss the clubhead forward with your right hand (i.e. FLIP, big time) while still maintaining pressure on PP#3.

But to keep pressure where Hogan says to put it, you have to keep the right wrist bent. If you flip it, you'll LOSE pressure where Hogan says to put it.

For putting pressure on that middle joint...

See Hogan, Ben, _Five Lessons_, p. 28.
;)

And it's true, you can toss the clubhead forward with your right hand (i.e. FLIP, big time) while still maintaining pressure on PP#3.

But to keep pressure where Hogan says to put it, you have to keep the right wrist bent. If you flip it, you'll LOSE pressure where Hogan says to put it.

But that was the thing for me. I tried and tried to keep the right wrist bent, but whenever I focused on the #3, I flipped. So for me, the #1 PP was the trick.

3JACK

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Deadly Scope, I would love to know what you'd do with my undynamic impact position. Maybe first you should see me on a 6 degree 3D machine. But please, give me something that will make me more dynamic.

But that was the thing for me. I tried and tried to keep the right wrist bent, but whenever I focused on the #3, I flipped. So for me, the #1 PP was the trick.

Yes, yes, I agree.

For me, actually, focusing on PP#4 has been the real revelation in trying not to flip it. Think too much about the pressure points in the hands tempts me to swing too much with my arms and not enough with my pivot, all of which is bad. I'd never really thought about PP#4 until this week and it's the first time I've consistently hit the ball on the course with a FLW.

Yes, yes, I agree.

For me, actually, focusing on PP#4 has been the real revelation in trying not to flip it. Think too much about the pressure points in the hands tempts me to swing too much with my arms and not enough with my pivot, all of which is bad. I'd never really thought about PP#4 until this week and it's the first time I've consistently hit the ball on the course with a FLW.

Errmm... for us mere mortals lurking in here, can you explain where is PP#4. I know that PP#3 is the right forefinger though.

Thanks.

Yes, yes, I agree.

+1

Well, I just went out and tried to make sure I had a FLW. Hit some really amazing effortless irons. It wasn't all the time but a few. I'm thinking I had a little flip here and there, not much though. Gonna hit the range and keep working at it.

Deadly Scope, I would love to know what you'd do with my undynamic impact position. Maybe first you should see me on a 6 degree 3D machine. But please, give me something that will make me more dynamic.

Interesting thread and Mr Shields I also wait with much anticipation for deadly's response
my uneducated guess is a more dynamic pivot thrust with the waist but i suppose this would change the numbers from the 6 deg mach

Status
Not open for further replies.