am i flipping? (now with Manzella Answers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ej20

New
I suppose we all flip at some stage of the swing unless we hold a flat left wrist right to the end of the swing.

So i guess it comes down to when the bend in the left wrist happens.If it happens before impact then you have flipped.If it happens just after impact like in the swing Pecky posted,then its timing the flip.If it happens well after impact then you truly have not flipped.

I suppose we all flip at some stage of the swing unless we hold a flat left wrist right to the end of the swing.

Not correct. I have 'some throwaway', but a flat left wrist at impact and at finish. So does Kevin Shields, Brian and others. For me, it's not really a thought of mine anymore, but I did have a goal of making sure to keep my right wrist bent to finish.

So i guess it comes down to when the bend in the left wrist happens.If it happens before impact then you have flipped.If it happens just after impact like in the swing Pecky posted,then its timing the flip.If it happens well after impact then you truly have not flipped.

Timing the flip means that there's a bent left wrist at impact, you just happened to hit the ball well. Good players with a flip generally have less flipping action than say a 15 handicapper.

One of the many concepts that worked for me is lag pressure and just how elusive it is.

Not flipping is not about 'maintaining angles.' It's about 'maintaining pressure.' What most flippers tend to do is that they come into impact their hands slow down considerably.

For instance, take a club and cock your wrists so the clubshaft is parallel to the ground and the hands are opposite of your right thigh. Sort of like the position you wish to achieve when you are about halfway down in the downswing.

Most flippers when they get about in this position in the downswing their hands more or less stop moving forward. If you are holding the club in this position like I just wrote about, try and hit the ball without moving your hands forward. The only way you can do that is to flip your left wrist to get the clubhead to the ball.

The non-flipper in this position will keep the hands moving forward and those hands keep out in front of the clubhead.

For me, the best way to keep those hands moving is for me to not only maintain pressure, but have the maximum amount of pressure going on at impact.

I use the lifeline in my right hand an my feel is that the max pressure in that lifeline up against the base joint of my left thumb happens at impact.

When I flip, it's because I over-accelerate and that is because that max pressure is in the startdown. I don't want it in the startdown, I want it at impact. If you happen to use your pivot and 'hit it with your pivot', I still feel you need to maintain that pressure instead of worrying about maintaining angles.

When I first watched NSA 2.0 I really didn't think it applied to me, but thought it was worthwhile to watch. The hinge action on NSA 2.0 still doesn't quite apply since I use angled hinging, but it's a fantastic way to help get out of flipping because the action gets the golfer more into 'driving the ball into the ground instead of driving the ball into the air.' 'Drive it into the ground' eliminates the flip. (I actually use the NSA 2.0 downswing twistaway about 4-6 times a round usually with great success)

And I've received some PM's asking for my impact position and here it is for those who asked.

Latest+Impact+II.jpg

Not flipping is not about 'maintaining angles.' It's about 'maintaining pressure.' What most flippers tend to do is that they come into impact their hands slow down considerably. ...

For me, the best way to keep those hands moving is for me to not only maintain pressure, but have the maximum amount of pressure going on at impact.

I use the lifeline in my right hand an my feel is that the max pressure in that lifeline up against the base joint of my left thumb happens at impact.

When I flip, it's because I over-accelerate and that is because that max pressure is in the startdown. I don't want it in the startdown, I want it at impact. If you happen to use your pivot and 'hit it with your pivot', I still feel you need to maintain that pressure instead of worrying about maintaining angles.

I think this is great advice. In a few ways:

1. I think it will be surprising for some (it has been for me) how much right hand participation there needs to be in a non-flip swing. You really need to HIT the ball with the palm of your bent right wrist.

2. It's 1000 times easier to try to monitor PP#3 than to maintain an angle.

3. For me, if I'm too quick in my transition, it's almost impossible not to flip. The non-flip swing for me requires a good tempo and a good transition so that I can maintain some lag and really wallop the ball.

Richie3Jack, fronesis et al, thanks for taking the time on this thread, it contains some really helpful material. IMO.

Kevin, think on, with a bit more dynamism you'll be breaking 90 in no time.

ej20

New
Richie3jack,I don't think you really hold a FLW from impact to finish.You may only feel like you do.If you look at a DTL view of your swing at a point in your follow thru where the hands start to appear above the left shoulder,you should see a bent left wrist.I can't think of one touring pro that holds a FLW from impact to finish.

As for Pecky having a bent left wrist at impact,you could be right but I would bet against it.First he needs to invest in a better camera with a higher shutter speed so we can see the shaft clearly rather than a blur.He also takes a divot well in front of the ball.Thats pretty tough to do with a bent left wrist at impact.

As for Pecky having a bent left wrist at impact,you could be right but I would bet against it.First he needs to invest in a better camera with a higher shutter speed so we can see the shaft clearly rather than a blur.He also takes a divot well in front of the ball.Thats pretty tough to do with a bent left wrist at impact.

He may actually have a higher shutter speed option, he just isn't using it. My camera gets the same crap when I don't have the shutter speed high enough or if I have it set for 'sunny' and it's cloudy out or vice versa. Still, I think it's obvious that he's flipping and his results scream flipping as well. I'd be hard pressed for anybody who is hitting it like he is as well as not breaking 80 to not be flipping.

That being said, I like most of his swing. His backswing looks really great and that's a good thing because if put with the good teacher, they can just focus on the downswing and primarily the flip. He's close, very close.

3JACK

Now you guys have me wondering about my own game. What's the best way to see if you flip WITHOUT a camera? Thanks

I'm gonna try to answer my own question, please let me know if I'm wrong. I just read something that said if you have a strong grip and flip the ball will go left. So I have a strong grip and the ball doesn't go left, therefore I don't flip. Correct?

I'm gonna try to answer my own question, please let me know if I'm wrong. I just read something that said if you have a strong grip and flip the ball will go left. So I have a strong grip and the ball doesn't go left, therefore I don't flip. Correct?

I mean this in the nicest way...

You are waaaaay over-thinking things!

You say you're hitting it straight with your strong grip. And you're hitting it longer. From the way your posts sound, it seems like it feels very natural and easy and you like the results.

So... what's the problem again?

I mean this in the nicest way...

You are waaaaay over-thinking things!

You say you're hitting it straight with your strong grip. And you're hitting it longer. From the way your posts sound, it seems like it feels very natural and easy and you like the results.

So... what's the problem again?

Like others have mentioned, you can still get around the course ok but still flip. I'm just curious if I flip, that's all.

Curtis: I don't know if you flip or not.

However, the fact that you have a strong grip and don't hit it left is NOT evidence of a FLW at impact. I played for many years with a VERY strong grip and played a fade. And I flipped it.

If your left wrist breaks down at or before impact, you can still throw the clubhead by straightening your right wrist but also keeping the club open through impact.

Now you guys have me wondering about my own game. What's the best way to see if you flip WITHOUT a camera? Thanks

Without question IMO, using the Taly training aid device. That's why it's such a great device, it doesn't actually restrain the golfer's wrists from flipping. It will let you flip, but you will now know it right away and it's all visual. It will show you the flip from your perspective, not the 'caddy view' perspective (which is still a powerful perspective, but not nearly as powerful as the golfer's own perspective when swinging a club).

The other ways I'm not so sure, but ballflight, consistency usually are telling. Usually flippers are very inconsistent, even the good players who flip. Also they tend to hit the irons high and the driver a little on the low side.

Or if you ever get on a Trackman, the numbers there can lead one to get a pretty good guess on if they flip or not.

A lot of the drills on CoFF can tell as well. Like the 3-ball drill. If you cannot get the divot in front of the balls, then you're very likely flipping. Although you can still flip and get the divot in front of the balls.

But I personally prefer the Taly. So much easier and definitive. I've been told one can make their own Taly, using an archers 'forearm guard' or a 'chin guard', an old TV antenna or some type of dowel and a small ball. But I'd probably screw it up, so I made it easy on myself and bought the thing.

3JACK

Did the Taly come from a TGM guy? I'd like to see a DIY one.

No, it was invented by a guy named Taly Williams who is a former athlete (not sure what the sport) and an engineer. He's got different sets of instructions and 'patterns' for using it. He has an 'accuracy pattern' and a 'power pattern.' But he seemed to grasp the flat left wrist at impact, perhaps by his own self and understanding engineering. You can also use it for backswing plane and downswing path. I've used it briefly for the downswing path, and have yet to try it with the backswing plane. A bunch of TGM guys gave it a looksee and had great success with it, so now it's very popular with the TGM crowd.

A few days ago my friend saw me with it and wondered how it works so I slapped it on him and gave him instructions and just had him take a swing about a chip shot stroke length and of course, he over-accelerated and the clubshaft went past the shaft on the Taly. Should've seen the look on his face. Then we went over how it's properly done. His facial expression was even more comical.

I just don't see people getting that from 'Greg Norman's Secret' or other training aid devices.

3JACK

dbl

New
The wrist tictac would be good to detect a flip. When the left wrist breaks down, you hear the click.

Burner

New
The wrist tictac would be good to detect a flip. When the left wrist breaks down, you hear the click.

But you don't see what is going on or precisely when the click happens. You only hear it afterwards.

You see all of what, and when it, is going on with the Taly.

Does BManz and his posse "approve" of the Taly or does it promote too much forward lean?

PS I have a tac tic and I think it's junk, never fit me very good as I'm sorta skinny.

i would really like to know if theres a way to validate if theres a flip. This Taly device can do that huh? ....my stroke was a flip w/ a hook. I tried several devices the swing glove, and tic tac both worthless. CFF really got me on the right path, I didnt think NSA was for me because my flip swing was hook or pull hook. For me it was the pivot or body rotation that ws key to start my progression. Theres where i stallled. So I was hitting draws and hooks still taking divot on fwd side of ball, but still clearly flipping. It was less severe low point more towards ball, but still there. Seriously frustrated, loaded NSA. I added wedding ring up swivel and hit the most sideways hooks possible. Reduced the swivel to angled I believe and Im back on the course and distance is back. So I ask, if you make the swivel properly from underneath and maintain that flat left wrist w/a swivel thru about should height IS IT POSSIBLE TO STILL FLIP?? Seems to me not poss. Anyway, hopeful, I took that swing to course shot 83 then 80 week later shortly after. Never broken 80, I think im closest as I have ever been...but Id really like to know be nice to validate. I hope to post swing sooner than later.

Does BManz and his posse "approve" of the Taly or does it promote too much forward lean?

Well, it's great for the 'flipper.' And I would personally rather have too much forward lean at impact over flipping any day. It's not even close. With too much forward lean, I could just learn to swing left. It would take a bit of practice to develop, but after awhile I should be hitting a lot of great shots and become a darn solid ballstriker on a consistent basis. With the flip, I can play good golf and I can strike the ball well, but not nearly as consistent as I could with a ton of shaft lean and understanding the swing left concepts pretty well. Trevino will go down as one of the greatest ballstrikers who ever lived and had a ton of shaft lean. I've yet to see a flipper who is in the same galaxy of a ballstriker as Trevino.

So yes, too much forward lean can be detrimental. But it's far better than flipping IMO.

Also, when I first ordered NSA 2.0 I thought it was a helpful pattern to understand, but now I'm really digging the thing. Mainly because my 'release' (aka angled hinge) allows me to either hit it straight or with a power fade. Drawing the ball is possible, but tougher to do on command. Now I just use the NSA 2.0 downswing twistaway and I can reach those left side pin placements much more frequently. Just aim at the middle of the green, downswing twistaway, and a nice big draw or at worst a straight shot that goes to the middle of the green. It's also tremendous on those shots where I cannot afford a left-to-right shot and the lie promotes that. Just bring out the downswing twistaway and usually it rifles out a dead straight shot. And I just videotaped it and the impact alignments were really beautiful. Great stuff.

3JACK

Brian Manzella

Administrator
I don't care who you are, now that's funny!

A flip (my definition) is a bent left wrist at impact. 'Throwaway' means that the angle is being 'released' before impact.

Not exactly.

The TGM definition of "Throwaway" is simple, a bent left wrist (or its equivalent) before the follow-through (when both arms are straight past impact).

One can have throwaway and still not flip at impact.

Because they "flip" before the follow-through.

And BTW, a flip means that the hands speed the whole club past the left arm and left shoulder.

Which is a Throwaway cause, albeit, not the only one.

I know there's not a ton of love for TGM here (although I don't think it's villified here either)

We—at the Manzella Golf Academy—wake up every morning, and go to sleep every night in pursuit of golfing truth.

Period.

If a part of The Golfing Machine is SCIENTIFIC TRUTH, I praise it.

If it is OPINION, I point it out.

If it is INCORRECT, I expose it.

Same with any other book, methodology, device, product, technique, etc.

(In the following statement, "You" is meant collectively)
Now if you are in the business of promoting TGM as the gospel according to Homer, written as the inspired word of the Man upstairs, and therefore infallible in every way, you are either coo-coo for Cocco Puffs, a marketer in used-car salesman sense of the term, scored in the teens on the Wonderlic, or all—or some—of the above. And, you think I am Julius Caesar, an Orange Julius, or Oran "Juice" Jones.

...but once I understood the idea behind learning feel from mechanics and then understood how TGM is really a feel oriented book (surprising to some with all the mechanical jargon in there), that's when I stopped flipping and my ballstriking and scores dropped big time. I think learning feel from mechanics really cannot be disputed to me.

Some folks NEVER EVER respond to Mechanics.

If you actually TEACH GOLF for a living, and not sell a method, you have to give a fair amount of lessons to folks like that.

And, believe it or not, I have made many a golfer into a very good player, without EVERY MENTIONING lag, lag pressure, monitoring your right forefinger, tracing the plane line with your right forearm, or anything even remotely close.

I gave a lesson to Chris Paul about a month ago. He was flipping it so bad, you couldn't believe it. Cold topping his driver. He had a NASTY 10-finger super-strong grip.

I put his hands on the club like a golfer (biggest hands on a 6-footer you ever saw), and showed him how I wanted him to hit the ball with the whole club and not just the clubhead.

260 dead straight on the 5th ball.

"There's that Brian, going straight to Total Motion." :D

In other words, I can suggest some feels and they may work, but it usually doesn't really do you any good until you get some drills for flipping and then really ask yourself that when you use the proper mechanics, how does it feel to you?

Chris didn't need no stinkin' drills.

He was about the 1234th person I fixed in 10 balls or less.

The rest is just practice.

CoFF is filled with concepts and drills to help get rid of the flip that pretty much fit exactly with your swing pattern. And NSA 2.0 jives with that as well.

If someone asked me how many folks I show "Flipper"-type drills to in private lessons, you might be surprised find out my answer.

About one every few MONTHS or so.

You can play good golf with a flip. I played to a +2 over ten years ago with a flip...Now without the flip I'm playing to a +0.3...the biggest improvement is in consistency. I can't tell you how refreshing it is to not shoot those outrageously bad, out-of-nowhere scores...For that, I say getting rid of the flip is almost invaluable. At least to my psyche.

Would I trade a golfer with a flip and control of the D-Plane for one with the left wrist of Ben Hogan and little control of the D-Plane.

You betcha.

Homer (Kelley) gets a lot of credit for working with what he had at the time. This site just wants to advance..get things in line with new technologies and discoveries.

Brian is a GSED, and has said he refers to that as golf instruction's equivalent of Harvard, but has learned a lot more in the "real world"

I enjoy reading your posts, as they are normally well-written, but that statement seems to contain a veiled slam at our host for not being a yellow book thumping literalist, which I am glad he is not.

I can't wait for the next new thing I get to learn.

While I go to EVERY Golfing Machine Summit, anxiously awaiting Physicist Dr. Aaron Zick's next presentation, a legion of TGM literalists stay away.

One of them called Joe Daniels, who runs the TGM, LLC, on the phone and asked him:

"Why would you have Dr. Zick there proving Homer wrong?"

Next subject.

I wouldn't say that is flipping. You said it was well struck and you did take a divot after the ball, I would just say that is minimal shaft lean at impact. Even if your left wrist is a hair bent at impact, the ball doesn't know.

Nice swing.

I complete agree with Mathew (Deadly Scope).

If I were a lawyer, I'd win on poor evidence.

You need a view from the perfect angle to see for sure, and you need a WAY BETTER camera.

Plus, I do think in this OP's case, getting rid of the flip would increase his power quite noticeably because he loses quite a bit of lag pressure there.

Lag Pressure has absolutely NOTHING to do with adding power.

Zilch.

looking at my swing as objectively as i can, it looks pretty much like a SD model. pivot drag off the ball, counterfall, toss release etc

and it looks like im snapping the chain pretty good :)

er as for distance and direction, irons are goin pretty much wer im looking. mid to short irons are dialed in with an occasional pull. long irons are struck very nicely but cut/slicing. cant hit fairway woods and driver, with a slightly altered motion, is straight with the occasional hook/block

getting prettttty darn close to shooting in the 70's. shot 81 in medal before last with a 4-putt haha and 81 in last medal with a double at the easiest hole on the course and 2 stupid 3-putts

Looks pretty good to me.

But, I'd give your lesson from the DTL view. So where is THAT video?

It's actually not a slam at Brian. In my experience there are posters here that once anybody brings up something about TGM they tend to dismiss it and I personally think it's because they misinterpret Brian's philosophies.

Essentially, I was making a reference to a concept of TGM that once I understood it, my game improved tremendously and I had a feeling that a faction of posters would immediately dismiss that concept as outdated because it's part of TGM.

If it is right, its right.

If it is wrong.

I really think if I did a post, or blog on 10 great concepts from The Golfing Machine that can be proven beyond a shadow of a doubt, my forum members wouldn't care WHERE the concepts come from.

There are many a Manzella Forum Member that is here in exile. You can only take so much literalism from a book with so many flaws.

If they flip and hit it better rather than not, so is that a problem?

Happens every day, on all four corners of the globe.

Really.

One of the most astute things I ever read from Brian was how golfer's can hit it better with a flip than when they try not to flip. But the trick is to get the golfer hitting it poorly when they do flip to help promote in their brain to not flip.

You see, it doesn't HAVE TO be learned in a drill, OR with a feel from a mechanic. ;)

If flipping was acceptable, then why did Brian produce "Confessions of a former flipper"?

Three reasons, to be quite honest.

#1 - To BLOW UP those who say the best way to learn not to flip is by NOT using your pivot.

#2 - To make the first watchable, concise, funny, golf video with real solid information ever done.

#3 - As a "Thank You Card" to Ben Doyle.

Confessions of a Former Flipper
How Ben Doyle Taught me to have the flattest left wrist in golf.

fronesis, 3JACK, and others:

Why does flipping create such inconsistency? You would think if you flipped but were a good player you could produce fairly consistent flipped results. Know what I mean?

No proof of ANY KIND that it does.

I think that flipping makes it harder to make good contact, if you don't already have good contact.

And, it makes it easier to hit certain shots.

We think it makes the ball spin less too. :cool:

Screws up the geometry of the swing.

It doesn't help.

But this silly diagram, isn't CLOSE to what really happens either:

2285827184_b29b230651.jpg

There's a bit of a difference between a hacker who hangs back and just flips at it versus a good player who uses a slap-hinge release.

No doubt.

I haven't seen Immelman's swing since then, but if he's achieving the goal of what he's instructing in that article (to flip), he'll be lucky to have success on the Tarheel Tour, much less the PGA Tour.

If 100% of the PGA Tour pros actually did what they were trying to do, 150 would make some cuts, and Peter Kostis would vomit on his BizHub.

...there's no doubt in my mind that Pecky can stop flipping if he keeps working on it and working on it correctly and once he stops flipping, his game will improve dramatically.

His potential would increase faster than his scores would decrease.

Because I think his problems are D-Plane issues.

I've seen a lot of TGM AI's harp on 'educated hands', but I've seen quite a few players just simply improve their pivot and that allows their hands to be 'educated' naturally without really thinking about it.

I'd agree 100%

With a rough estimate of 90% to 95% of golfers flipping to some degree more or less, do you think that it's related to a poor pivot, either backswing or downswing and in some cases both, as the main cause of the flip?
Brian Manzella's Top Ten Causes of Flipping

1. Trying to get the clubhead to move in the direction of the intended ball flight.

2. Trying to square an open clubface

3. Trying to add loft-open a clubface that is destined to produce a big hook

4. Pivot Stops too early and not far enough forward

5. Trying to add speed to just the clubhead

6. Illusion of forward lean

7. Trying to fix a path that is going to be too far in-to-out

8. Because someone told them to

9. Poorly fit clubs (too flat will do it)

10. Because nobody told them how to do it right
i don't think i get it...
how is he flipping if he is getting ball-turf contact? low point would be behind the ball if he was flipping.

Not so.

Lots of flippers have ball-divot contact.

Remember this:

95% of all good players have MORE DEGREES OF FORWARD LEAN than degrees of DOWNWARD STRIKE!!!

:eek:

ok, i dont have the club up my left arm through impact. but to me, my left wirst looks pretty flat-ish. it may look bent but my instincts tell me that it is the angle between the under portion of my forearm and the heel of my hand as my grip is a little on the strong side of neutral and my wrist is fully un-cocked at impact. im no lee trevino at and through impact, but more like ogilvy or maybe ernie.

and the rest of it is OK i think as well. unless you all disagree

Like I said, I want to see the DTL view!

Kevin Shields, undynamic poor impact position.

He is getting better though. :D

Well said.

I personally prefer the Taly.

I have found that these kind of things do my lessons more harm them good.

PS I have a tac tic and I think it's junk, never fit me very good as I'm sorta skinny.

The Tic-Tac is good for someone who learns better through sound.

Other than that....

I will say, I have not used one in YEARS.

Whew...!

Status
Not open for further replies.