Austin Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

nmgolfer

robertkhill said:
From Webster's dictionary-with particular attention to 3c which I think describes Brian pretty accurately.

Main Entry: 1en·gi·neer
Pronunciation: "en-j&-'nir
Function: noun
Etymology: alter. of earlier enginer, from Middle English, alteration of enginour, from Middle French engigneur, from Old French engignier to contrive, from engin
1 : a member of a military group devoted to engineering work
2 obsolete : a crafty schemer : PLOTTER
3 a : a designer or builder of engines b : a person who is trained in or follows as a profession a branch of engineering c : A PERSON WHO CARRIES THROUGH AN ENTERPRISE BY SKILLFULL OR ARTFUL CONTRIVANCE 4 : a person who runs or supervises an engine or an apparatus

I submit that item 3c. is there to explain all of the garbage men (sanitation engineers), drafters and now golf instructors too that falsely call themselves engineers when they're not. Webster's does not dictate societal mores they only report them.

But, to keep it ON TOPIC (sort of), Mike Austin was an engineer, (and kinesiologist and psychologist and actor and pga pro and opera singer ...) not a phony, fake (item 3c) engineer claiming to be something his was not, a REAL DEGREED honest to goodness engineer. He also believed golf instructers should be required to study human anatomy and kinesiology... but they are not. Wonder if instructors here have?

Brian, wow, you're surrounded by engineers . Next time you are at a family gathering try this: stand up and proudly proclaim that you too are an engineer and see what kind of looks you get... I guarantee the (real) engineers in the family will be at least thinking: "like he** you're an engineer". Enough... I don't belong here. Adios golfing amigos.

Tom Bartlett

Administrator
mngolfer said:
I submit that item 3c. is there to explain all of the garbage men (sanitation engineers), drafters and now golf instructors too that falsely call themselves engineers when they're not. Webster's does not dictate societal mores they only report them.

But, to keep it ON TOPIC (sort of), Mike Austin was an engineer, (and kinesiologist and psychologist and actor and pga pro and opera singer ...) not a phony, fake (item 3c) engineer claiming to be something his was not, a REAL DEGREED honest to goodness engineer. He also believed golf instructors should be required to study human anatomy and kinesiology... but they are not. Wonder if instructors here have?

Brian, wow, you're surrounded by engineers . Next time you are at a family gathering try this: stand up and proudly proclaim that you too are an engineer and see what kind of looks you get... I guarantee the (real) engineers in the family will be at least thinking: "like he** you're an engineer". Enough... I don't belong here. Adios golfing amigos.
You don't belong here if you can't even figure out who wrote the post! Work on those reading comprehension skills before tackling engineering.

"Golf Stroke Engineer Doctorate" (GSED) is just a LABEL.

For all I care you can call Brian Manzella a Spanner.

charm%20spanner.jpg

He still knows more about the Golf Stroke than 99% of golf instructors.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
The CORPS of Engineers?

What about THOSE idiots?

People DIED becuase of their "engineering."

Homer said what he said about it in the book.

And btw, the test I took, was DAMN hard.

Austin Talks

Brian

Come on , you have to do better than that. Leave the bragging rights to me. :) Just because Mike Austin's camp is not your camp, you don't have to dismiss the best way to swing a golf club. I can't wait to watch your flipper tape, I will report back. I would of loved to have had you a few years back, over to Mike's house for a chat. I do believe Mike and I could have taught you even more to help you become the best teacher you are setting out to be.

R

I never undestood why you would keep your right wrist bent throughout the swing and into the finish on a full shot. When i tried it always lost alot of distance. Releasing that right wrist from 90 degress bent to whatever degree you want through impact adds alot of power. Look back at the pics of mike austin how his right arm has straightened and his right wrist is still bent before impact and then he releases it thorugh the ball for that extra power. BTW that is exactly how mac ogrady teaches to release the club in that sequence. I repeat that release of the right wrist after the right arm has started straightening adds alot of power. obviously though you would want to get your hands to the proper location before release so you can hit down through the ball the proper amount for the trajectory needed for the specific shot.

Brian Manzella said:
And btw, the test I took, was DAMN hard.

This deserves another thread, but do you still have the test paper or did it get lost on that windy day?

It would be a real eye opener for us.

Thanks!

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Mike Austin

Where does it say I SAID I didn't like Mike's swing or what he taught?

I said, it (ON PURPOSE STRAIGHTENING OF THE RIGHT WRIST) is not for everyone.

Maybe he would have learn a little from me too, no?

rcw

New
You have got to be kidding me.

Nmgolfer,

I going to go out on a limb and and guess that you were picked on quite a bit in your life. I'm sure you can find a better place to vent your anger than this golf forum. (Sorry Brian I would not discourage anyone from joining your site, but I don't think he will be missed.) Should we really be that impressed with your degree? WOW. Good job man.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Read this Austin-ites

http://www.brianmanzella.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3420

Now where does it say, what YOU are saying I say?

Mike Austin was a very good player, had a very dynamic swing, was a talented teacher, and has my utmost respect.

Having said that, I stand STRONGLY on everything else I have said on the subject (TO REVIEW):

#1 - You will not help EVERYONE by teaching them to straighten the right wrist through the ball.

#2 - You will not help EVERYONE by teaching them to NOT straighten the right wrist through the ball.

Got it?

rosser/perfectimpact,

"As for others that like to talk cheap of MA, Thanks also, only I have to differ with you. MA was every bit as good as Hogan. Just like many don't think Tiger is best, it will be the choice you make based on what you really feel you know. Unless you have known the parties, its only a opinion at best."

I have absolutely no idea how you can say what I said is "cheap." I have not heard enough evidence to put Mike Austin's ballstriking in Hogan's category. Please include statistics of how he finished in US Opens and the like. Telling me that I didn't know him doesn't convince me he could hit 5 sticks from over 100 yards in a round. I just need evidence, that's all, I have no ax to grind against him. But I have nothing to gain by saying he was one of the best ever as you do.

By the way, I hope you don't encourage people to get in Mike Austin's position at impact, I'm not a back expert, but that looks absolutely terrible to have that much tilt. Otherwise, a beautiful swing.

Matt

Doug said:
Mike's # 1 requirement Steady head

Mike-copy.gif

Reason my hair is MIA

flammer2.jpg

Doug,

Thanks for the picutres, on the second picture it looks like that person is using the flammer? Can you provide any feedback as to what it actually does for your swing and how MA apllied the tool? How long did you take lessons from MA?

Thanks in Advance

Greetings to everyone over here in the Manzella camp!

I would like to start out by apologizing to Brian for the invasion of MAers. The only thing we usually agree on is that Mike was a genious. Everything after that we love to argue about and have proven it on several occaisions. :D

There are those that know what they are talking about, those that desperately want to learn and those who think they know what they are talking about...guess which ones are the most dangerous. :rolleyes:

Vanquish,
Regarding the Flammer...it actually does several things. The main functions are to train your body not to move your swing circle center, not to let your hands and arms get out of posistion and to promote a good strong release through the ball.

Shadyfap said:
Greetings to everyone over here in the Manzella camp!

I would like to start out by apologizing to Brian for the invasion of MAers. The only thing we usually agree on is that Mike was a genious. Everything after that we love to argue about and have proven it on several occaisions. :D

There are those that know what they are talking about, those that desperately want to learn and those who think they know what they are talking about...guess which ones are the most dangerous. :rolleyes:

Vanquish,
Regarding the Flammer...it actually does several things. The main functions are to train your body not to move your swing circle center, not to let your hands and arms get out of posistion and to promote a good strong release through the ball.

Shadyfap

Thanks for your reply, do you use the flammer and were can you purchase it?

vanquish said:
Shadyfap

Thanks for your reply, do you use the flammer and were can you purchase it?

Well Jerry answered the second part of the question for me so I will stick to the first part.

I "have used" the flammer. I used it while working with Thomas.

I am a bit biased on the subject, of course, but I do think the flammer is worth having if you understand what it is. It, like most training aids, is designed to help you ingrain good habits. It is not a crutch, just a guide. With all that being said...I don't own one. Take that as you will. :D

vanquish said:
Jerry,

Is the flammer worth having?

Sorry vanquish, but I have never even seen one except in the dvd's with MA so I can't really offer you any other info on it. I just did a google after seeing your post and found a couple of places that sell it, I think for about a hundred bucks. I think Shadyfap is right, though. It's probably a good training tool if used properly. I would like to actually see one though.
Jerry

Status
Not open for further replies.