Backing the shaft up (now with page 2 Manzella Video)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Backing the shaft up. The act of fitting in the clubhead to strike the ball in a manner that steepens the shaft, opens the face and shallows the hit. Usually done when a golfer misses the vertical component of the first stage of the downswing and has to recover.

Is this consistent with divots pointing right? Is there an associated ballflight pattern?

Thanks

Kevin, when "missing the vertical component of the first part of the down swing", is this talking about the shaft? and is it usually too vertical or to shallow?

Is Retief Goosen another who backs the shaft up? And would toe-deep divots be a decent indicator of this fault?

Can be but certainly not always. Shallow undercuts and hooks are the case depending on skill level

Thanks Kevin.

It's counter-intuitive, at least to me. You see right pointing divots and hooks, and you'd think there's no way on earth you could be coming over the top - but there you go.

Depending on skill level - would this be consistent with BOTH misses - cuts and hooks?

As for the cure - obviously a more vertical handpath at start of downswing is key. Is this likely to feel like a much more in-to-out path, even as it does the opposite to your actual clubhead path through the ball?

hp12c

New
So I think I do that backing up the shaft the reason I say that is what Keving said about missing the vertical componant in the 1st stage of the DS. So I did this I went to a vertical wall, ah wait most walls are vertical, u know what I mean, I stood facing the wall real close, took my golf stance and my head almost touching the wall took my wedge and put it horizontal to the ground with the grip facing the target went to th top of my BS and when I started my DS slow I almost hit the wall went back up and started the DS again, slow, and wow! talk about vertical drop, what an eye opener. I though I was doing the vertical hand path not even close, I did this several times to really feel the positions. Now I wanna go smack some balls to see what happens.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/45039075" width="600" height="338" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Thanks Kevin.

It's counter-intuitive, at least to me. You see right pointing divots and hooks, and you'd think there's no way on earth you could be coming over the top - but there you go.

Depending on skill level - would this be consistent with BOTH misses - cuts and hooks?

As for the cure - obviously a more vertical handpath at start of downswing is key. Is this likely to feel like a much more in-to-out path, even as it does the opposite to your actual clubhead path through the ball?

The first part of the downswing could feel severely inside, with the result you being able to get the clubhead out to the ball with a very straight path

The first part of the downswing could feel severely inside, with the result you being able to get the clubhead out to the ball with a very straight path
I'm struggling to understand here...A more vertical handpath and a transition more inside seem mutually exclusive; moreover, wouldn't a more vertical handpath splay out the elbows and trap the right arm behind the body?
Sorry for appearing/being so clueless...

Kevin or Brian, isn't missing the vertical component of the first stage of the downswing
just the same as coming over the top or too much hand carry too early?

Status
Not open for further replies.