Backing the shaft up (now with page 2 Manzella Video)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hp12c

New
I'm struggling to understand here...A more vertical handpath and a transition more inside seem mutually exclusive; moreover, wouldn't a more vertical handpath splay out the elbows and trap the right arm behind the body?
Sorry for appearing/being so clueless...

What I noticed about the vertical hand path is this so far with just swinging outside, my backs seems to stay facing the traget longer, my right elbow drops more easily infront of my right hip and my hips seem to be more open at the start down, very interesting. If I didnt have to work tomorrow I would go smack some balls!!

What I noticed about the vertical hand path is this so far with just swinging outside, my backs seems to stay facing the traget longer, my right elbow drops more easily infront of my right hip and my hips seem to be more open at the start down, very interesting. If I didnt have to work tomorrow I would go smack some balls!!

Well you don't really have to go. Your not sounding so well.

hp12c

New
<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/45039075" width="600" height="338" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>
Bmanz who was holding the camera? cause was breathing heavy I noticed that after I put on m headphones to better hear what u waz saying and whoever was holding that camera was huffin and puffin!

That is a really vivid picture Brian. Great job. I most certainly am backing it up especially with wedges.

The first part of the downswing could feel severely inside, with the result you being able to get the clubhead out to the ball with a very straight path

So, is this is why, as Brian showed in the video, the open stance push feeling shot could help?

I think you guys are identifying, and I'm understanding why I struggle with pulls so much.

So I think I do that backing up the shaft the reason I say that is what Keving said about missing the vertical componant in the 1st stage of the DS. So I did this I went to a vertical wall, ah wait most walls are vertical, u know what I mean, I stood facing the wall real close, took my golf stance and my head almost touching the wall took my wedge and put it horizontal to the ground with the grip facing the target went to th top of my BS and when I started my DS slow I almost hit the wall went back up and started the DS again, slow, and wow! talk about vertical drop, what an eye opener. I though I was doing the vertical hand path not even close, I did this several times to really feel the positions. Now I wanna go smack some balls to see what happens.

I just did this drill, and it seems that, besides hand path, having a too-closed clubface could also contribute to the problem. When I was able to get the hands to come down more vertically, and had the club tumble (which I now recognize is a move that is completely foreign to me), the face felt so shut that I couldn't hit a decent shot. Backing up the shaft seems like my way of opening the face back up so that it's square by the time I get to impact.

Couple of questions:

Is the "goat humping move" which I personally suffer from, related to backing the shaft up? Is it a move that facilitates backing the shaft up? If there is a correlation between the two I would love to understand this

Then what is the cause of the goat humping that facilitates backing the shaft up to compensate for the cause??

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
So, is this is why, as Brian showed in the video, the open stance push feeling shot could help?

I think you guys are identifying, and I'm understanding why I struggle with pulls so much.

No!!! The open stance push is the last thing you want. He was demonstrating how someone would back it up

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
I'm struggling to understand here...A more vertical handpath and a transition more inside seem mutually exclusive; moreover, wouldn't a more vertical handpath splay out the elbows and trap the right arm behind the body?
Sorry for appearing/being so clueless...

I wish I had more detail but, no, it wouldn't, unless you humped the ball to do it. You have turn enough and stay bent over long enough in the transition.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Couple of questions:

Is the "goat humping move" which I personally suffer from, related to backing the shaft up? Is it a move that facilitates backing the shaft up? If there is a correlation between the two I would love to understand this

Then what is the cause of the goat humping that facilitates backing the shaft up to compensate for the cause??

Closed clubface, under turn, too much carry, being told to swing inside out

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Kevin or Brian, isn't missing the vertical component of the first stage of the downswing
just the same as coming over the top or too much hand carry too early?

Yes, with the emphasis on TOO MUCH, because some can be good and still work for some players

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Bmanz who was holding the camera? cause was breathing heavy I noticed that after I put on m headphones to better hear what u waz saying and whoever was holding that camera was huffin and puffin!

Sounded like Buffalo Bill in Silence of the Lambs

What Pattern would you suggest

Kevin,

Out of BManz purchasable Videos, which one would address / touch on the subject of this thread and provide instruction, if any?

hips more open? before I put myself in traction - surely that should read closed?

Great explanation for my occasional drop kick hook when I try to smash it with the driver.

Body opens too soon, club has to drop under to save it/not miss the ball

Also agree with dude who does it with wedges. Setting up open, then opening body too soon on downswing.....Backing up is the only way to get close to staring the ball online.

Status
Not open for further replies.