Below Plane Syndrome - experiences?

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Trust me when I tell you, below plane syndrome will NEVER be cured unless you change the relationship between where your lead arm/hand is and where your clubface is(Hint: soft draw). Also crucial is when you pull the handle and when you drive the face."

I am starting to understand what you mean by this. If I would stick to my fixes that Brian gave me in June, this wouldn't be a problem. Both the timing and amount of left arm and right arm in the downwing is very important for BPS.

This info is so good it is sick.

I'm at your feet boys, just at your feet.

JB

so pull the handle while closing the face?

One of my favorite threads of all time, along with the Sergio Garcia thread.

Time to bring it back to life...

I've been noticing that some of the greatest pitchers of the ball in the game have a small amount of twistaway in their backswing. It certainly helps those of us that have suffered through BPS and had it affect their pitching and wedge play. I'm starting to think that many players that suffer BPS may also have open clubface issues that manifest themselves in blocks and flip hooks. They have just gotten very creative in how they square up the clubface. They THINK they are hookers but its only because they fear the block.

Just re-read it - very interesting stuff and as I played crap on Monday after a pretty good run before that, I'm very interested.

Do BPSers typically have too much body action (early) in the downswing? I think I learned to make an over-violent move in the downswing to get on plane as a 'fix'.

My tendency is to be 'too flat, too inside out' (BManz).

At the moment, attempts to hit less than 100% with iron results in a fat hit.

I am back to trying to get more upright in the backswing - and think that calming my body action in backswing and downswing may be important.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Less than full shots are hit fat from BPSers because you unwind and overload/stretch in the transition your arms have to be swung so aggressively to catch up. Or you stand up and make room for them to pass. BPS swings only work at full speed because the club is being dumped or dragged under. Must go forward fast or or you get a pie in the face.

Sounds familiar. My best fix last time was actually focussing on getting to the 'point' position from the end of the SD pattern but I want to nail a backswing issue this time too.

I'm a habitual below plane syndrome player, and have had great success recently with putting a dowel through my belt loops that sticks about about a foot on either side of me. I actually will hit balls with this, and it forces you to get your swing more up and down instead of around. It also cures early extension/standing up out of your stance, which is typically a problem for underplaners. Not saying it's a cure all, but I'm liking the results so far. Actully hitting some fades, which I thought was impossible.

Hey guys,

When I click on this link, I dont get the video. I get another wed page of this forum. Im I missing something?

Art

I'm guessing it's an old link that is no longer active. It's a shame there are a bunch of these in various threads and I only started around here about 6 months ago.

dbl

New
The proper link was something like this, without the spaces:

h t t p://homepage.mac. com/brianmanzella/.Movies/handsbehindhips.mov

However the above link doesn't work, and from what I can see it may be due to a change Apple made in Nov 2010. With the iCloud platform about here, all these mac iDisk pages will likely get furthered screwed up.

Oh, don't get me wrong Kevin, it is a very good video. I certainly understand the ideas in it, but I haven't been able to translate them into helping me. I have a hell of a time trying to get to one last point. I tend to hit it real thin. I can't seem to hit down or deloft the club enough unless I work the handle left around my body. I'm naturally a little across the line, and i've gotten comfortable swinging pretty hard left on the downswing, which requires a little reverse tumble in there in order for me to avoid getting too steep. Lindsey referred to this double move in the Sergio Tumble thread. I'm fine with taking the left out of play and it works pretty well with shorter clubs, but not so well with the longer ones. I'm dropping underplane with the long clubs and hitting pulls or right to right shots. Occasional hooks, but I think that's more a reaction to the right to right shot. When I am hitting my long clubs well, I hit my short ones like shit. Too shallow and no spin. My body only seems willing to let me work with one of these two swings on a given day. Driver swing or wedge swing. Having trouble wrapping my head around it.

Love this thread. I am worshipping, er, reading it daily in an attempt to beat BPS Syndrome. The more I work at it, the more I'm finally understanding Kevin's advice to get hand plane below the clubhead plane through impact -- and hands moving toward my "junk." But you gotta get your hands in the right place at the top in order to send them on the correct downswing path. And that is what is taking time and work.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.