Below Plane Syndrome - experiences?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
"Well I've read the case files. Everything you need to know is right there in those files." - Hannibal Lecter.

(Aim left, swing left, hit down with irons. Aim right, swing straight, hit up with driver)

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Whats your main issue with your swing? If we're talking my personal underplane issue, it was set up by aiming right and flipping it square. I would get under so I COULD flip it. Now, aiming properly with a ball position short of low point I can just go down the plane and start my ball on line with no underplane flip. Sorry for being cryptic. Sometimes its fun to figure some things out.

Whats your main issue with your swing? If we're talking my personal underplane issue, it was set up by aiming right and flipping it square. I would get under so I COULD flip it. Now, aiming properly with a ball position short of low point I can just go down the plane and start my ball on line with no underplane flip. Sorry for being cryptic. Sometimes its fun to figure some things out.

For me it's in the backswing. Taking the club first outside and then getting the clubhead behind the hands. Not a very strong position at the top.

(Aim left, swing left, hit down with irons. Aim right, swing straight, hit up with driver)

So how do you optimize your driver if you have a tendency to hook/push the ball? Like the towel drill in NHA. That has me swinging to the left but it sounds like I don't want to do that with my driver.

Push-Pull

I've had bps problems before and now it's crept in again.
My swing is not the same as last year and same medicine that worked last year (SDP backswing, swinging left) does not seem to work as well as before. Off-season I worked a lot on improving my hips pivot and it has definitely changed. I was hitting the ball better than ever till about two weeks ago.

Now the push-fades/slices & pull-hooks/draws (& shanks) have come back. Last two rounds I had a short range session to warm-up and I was OK till about 5th-6th hole. Things started to go wrongs both rounds when I first hit a weak push-fade drive. Next hole I tried to add more sdp to my backswing (right elbow above left) and a little twistaway. Result on both rounds was a pull-hook. Easing back and again a push-fade. Last round I ended up playing last few holes for the pull, aiming to the right of the fairway to keep the ball barely playable on the left side.
Problem was getting to my irons too, but there the sdp backswing seems to work better, only hit one snap hook 6-iron, couple straighter pulls and a bunch of push-fades when I was not concentrating.

I'm thinking that part of the problem may be that my (new) pivot stops to work to some extent. Just thinking about the mechanics, it seems like lessening pivot could let the club drop too quickly, meaning below plane.

I just got the NHA and I am planning to look at NHA downswing to start with. Any suggestions welcome.

Push-Pull update

UPDATE:
I had one practice session before watching NHA2. Findings I had:

- I was swinging too far right - best noticed on short pitches.
- Good shots had a feel like counterfall - carry - drop (as I found out after I had watched the video).

I think part of the problem was that I had noticed that I had maybe too much hip slide going back, which I wanted to get rid of. This worked on the range, but possibly I started to lean too far back with upper body in the back swing during the round.

So how much hip slide is OK, or does it not matter too much as long as you start with the counter fall?

jake2
NHA2 at 26:20 to 26:40 Brian talks about the slide and the only governor of that slide being the right leg and letting it be the restrictor of the slide.

BPS and SD Pattern

I am trying to visualize what I am reading here. I also suffer from BPS, and am trying to mine this thread for something to help. As I understand KS's comments, the cure to BPS is to keep the hands lower than the club head until the club head comes into the impact zone. If one looks at the SD pattern, hands-only address, the lagging clubhead takeaway, the vertical shaft during takeaway, and the javelin throw on the downswing, the parts of the pattern are intended to encourage keeping the hands staying lower than the clubhead. Please correct my visualization. Thanks. RP

Status
Not open for further replies.