Below Plane Syndrome - experiences?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this what your talking about?

0792-9944.jpg

Last edited:
BPS

I would aim left (open stance) and could still draw the ball.

Played some really good golf at times with this set up.

Knew it was a band-aid and tried going back to square stance with terrible results.

Bought NHA and hope it is my savior.

Here are the locations on the videos:

SD Backswing at 25:15 , but watch takeaway at 20:00 and Sequence at 28:51.
NHA2 Downswing at 39:19, but watch Transition at 33:24.

I am someone who battled BPS my entire life. There were times I thought I had it licked, but then it always resurfaced. I studied so hard trying to get a solutuion because if I did there was no doubt in my mind I would have made it to the Tour.
To those who have it, proceed with caution on how you fix it. NHA can and will help alot. But remember, BPS doesn't cause hooks with everyone. A true hooker (closed face, flat tilted turn, in to out path, lots of roll) wants everything in NHA, but if BPS causes more blocks and block fades, poor pitching and overall bad wedge play, and a LAST MINUTE flip(like yours truly), NHA might not help you.
Brian correctly moved me all over the Matrix to find solutions. Some worked better than others. I always felt under his instruction I was one lightbulb moment away from being cured forever. Now I have it.
Trust me when I tell you, below plane syndrome will NEVER be cured unless you change the relationship between where your lead arm/hand is and where your clubface is(Hint: soft draw). Also crucial is when you pull the handle and when you drive the face.You can do all you want to your turn and tilts but they are only temporary fixes.
I will try to talk Brian into another video on this topic alone. It would be a best seller. Thanks to his information, I will be taking one more shot at serious competition with more confidence than I ever had. I would NEVER have been able to cure this if it wasnt for him.

What do you mean by this?

I seem to have better results by adding a little left arm pull to the downswing while feeling likemy front shoulder stays closed as long as possible. I think this feel allows me to delay my axis tilt a bit. Is this related to any of your thoughts here, Kevin?

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
What do you mean by this?

I seem to have better results by adding a little left arm pull to the downswing while feeling likemy front shoulder stays closed as long as possible. I think this feel allows me to delay my axis tilt a bit. Is this related to any of your thoughts here, Kevin?

How do you pull your left arm and keep your left shoulder closed without adding slack to the swing? I'm just trying to figure out what it is you are trying. Although staying closed longer is a key ingredient.

Last edited:
How do you pull your left arm and keep your left shoulder closed without adding slack to the swing? I'm just trying to figure out what it is you are trying. Although staying closed longer is a key ingredient.

My problem has always been opening up immediately in the downswing. I am trying to stay closed longer in an effort to fix that. There is a young man that frequents my range and he just pures everything without breaking a sweat. I watched him for a while last weekend and it seemed that his front shoulder stayed closed until well after the ball was gone.

I also think that I use too much body and not enough arms. More arms and this closed feeling are working very well so far.

I am still curious about what you mean by the relationship between lead arm and clubface.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
I'm not proud of it, but.....

Kevin,
This has been a very helpful thread, in large part due to your posts. For which, thanks.

I wasnt a scholar, rarely attended a class in my 2 1/2 years at college but I'm currently working on a masters degree in beating the block right fade and flip hook. So thanks.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
My problem has always been opening up immediately in the downswing. I am trying to stay closed longer in an effort to fix that. There is a young man that frequents my range and he just pures everything without breaking a sweat. I watched him for a while last weekend and it seemed that his front shoulder stayed closed until well after the ball was gone.

I also think that I use too much body and not enough arms. More arms and this closed feeling are working very well so far.

I am still curious about what you mean by the relationship between lead arm and clubface.

Staying closed in and of itself wont cure it. Alot of BPSers have shoulders too closed.Thats why NHA is such a good option for alot of below planers who almost exclusively hit a big shut face hook. But with open or closed shoulders, alot of underplaners have that lead arm riding high and too much force along the shaft. Clubface is completely blocked by lead arm, butt end, shaft and hosel. Keep on doing what you're doing.

Paging Mr. Shields....

"Trust me when I tell you, below plane syndrome will NEVER be cured unless you change the relationship between where your lead arm/hand is and where your clubface is(Hint: soft draw). Also crucial is when you pull the handle and when you drive the face."

I am starting to understand what you mean by this. If I would stick to my fixes that Brian gave me in June, this wouldn't be a problem. Both the timing and amount of left arm and right arm in the downwing is very important for BPS.

This info is so good it is sick.

I'm at your feet boys, just at your feet.

JB

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
"Trust me when I tell you, below plane syndrome will NEVER be cured unless you change the relationship between where your lead arm/hand is and where your clubface is(Hint: soft draw). Also crucial is when you pull the handle and when you drive the face."

I am starting to understand what you mean by this. If I would stick to my fixes that Brian gave me in June, this wouldn't be a problem. Both the timing and amount of left arm and right arm in the downwing is very important for BPS.

This info is so good it is sick.

I'm at your feet boys, just at your feet.

JB

Its sooooo important. I will never ever ever have BPS again. I can now just live my life.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.