Brian Manzella Featured in Golf Magazine April Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys,

I'm sorry if this has been discussed ad nauseam, in the Great White North I tend to hibernate from golf in the winter months, but Brian's article has kinda confused me a little bit more on the whole swinging left concept. It's not the theory as to why to swing left, its more the execution. In the article there is a solid line (for the iron shots) that rests on the ball and looks to be perpendicular to his toe line and then there is a hashed line where Brian looks to be "swinging" along that is slightly "over the top", or out to in relative to the other line, and thus the swinging left. So, to EXECUTE the swinging left for a straight iron shot, do we set up pointing left of the target and THEN swing a little more over the top? If it is easier to just direct me to another thread that talks about the EXECUTION (not the theory of) swinging left, I will gladly poke around there. Thanks in advance.

Guys,

I'm sorry if this has been discussed ad nauseam, in the Great White North I tend to hibernate from golf in the winter months, but Brian's article has kinda confused me a little bit more on the whole swinging left concept. It's not the theory as to why to swing left, its more the execution. In the article there is a solid line (for the iron shots) that rests on the ball and looks to be perpendicular to his toe line and then there is a hashed line where Brian looks to be "swinging" along that is slightly "over the top", or out to in relative to the other line, and thus the swinging left. So, to EXECUTE the swinging left for a straight iron shot, do we set up pointing left of the target and THEN swing a little more over the top? If it is easier to just direct me to another thread that talks about the EXECUTION (not the theory of) swinging left, I will gladly poke around there. Thanks in advance.

It seems to be the player's choice as to how best they can swing left with the ball on the ground to hit a straight ball. Probably the 3 most used ways:

1. set up parallel left of the target line and swing left of that line.
2. set up open to the target line and swing along your open stance to get the left of the target line.
3. set up closed to the target line and swing a lot left of the stance.

It seems to be the player's choice as to how best they can swing left with the ball on the ground to hit a straight ball. Probably the 3 most used ways:

2. set up open to the target line and swing along your open stance to get the left of the target line.

Thanks spktho!

66er

New
This may seem a little odd, but can someone please tell me whos on the cover of this magazine so I will know exactly which one it is.

I'm resorting to this...

129111822284458653.jpg

good stuff. and this reminded me of an old video of brian's, where basically the idea (as i remember it) was that the more left you swing (in relation to your setup), the more likely the swing would be to bottom out in front of the ball rather than behind.

i feel like the ability to hit the "little ball before the big ball" every time is such a huge important variable in the golf swing, and not talked about all that often.

The tablet version is really nice and has some great additions.....
The article piece is very nice you have to read what Brian says about hitting the ball closer to the bottom of your arc to help with the steepness of the swing for you AOA numbers. Short in words but big in importance to me that is...
If you have a consistent arc to your swing with irons then ball position seems to be a keep point in hitting the ball with proper amount of down?

Fabulous job Brian! I hardly even read my magazines anymore because of the fluff articles that are so general that they are a waste of time to read not to mention the incorrect information. But your article was great and I would be reading the magazines from cover to cover if they start containing information like you presented. Now I already knew the info you covered because of the time I spend in the forum but with the pics and the clear explanation, it just cemented the ideas of the d-plane even more. I will definitely be sending a letter to the editor and tell him I would love to see more articles like the one you did. It’s great to see a guy fulfilling his dream, keep up the good work!

Matt

ZAP

New
Just looked at the tablet version again. Good stuff for sure. Really neat to see this stuff in GOLF Magazine. Finally.

I've looked and looked around the Pittsburgh area (west of the City) for a single issue copy of the April issue. No luck. :mad:

I then subscribed so that I could download and view the tablet version, only to find out it the Golf Magazine does not appear to be available for the iPod Touch, which is what I have. (A lot of apps work on both.)

Any thoughts? I would love to read the article and the tablet extras. [No. I can't just go out and buy an iPad. I could, but it would blow a hole in my beer budget... just sayin'... guy has to have priorities. Actually, I've been looking hard at a MacBook Air to use when I travel... the 7# Dell laptop is heavy.]

ZAP

New
I've looked and looked around the Pittsburgh area (west of the City) for a single issue copy of the April issue. No luck. :mad:

I then subscribed so that I could download and view the tablet version, only to find out it the Golf Magazine does not appear to be available for the iPod Touch, which is what I have. (A lot of apps work on both.)

Any thoughts? I would love to read the article and the tablet extras. [No. I can't just go out and buy an iPad. I could, but it would blow a hole in my beer budget... just sayin'... guy has to have priorities. Actually, I've been looking hard at a MacBook Air to use when I travel... the 7# Dell laptop is heavy.]

If you cannot find one PM me your addy and I can mail you mine.

Recent convert to Apple Glenn. The Air is what you want. A lovely piece of work.

dbl

New
If it didn't work on an Itouch (as reported above) then it probably won't work on an iphone - they are essentially the same device.

A lot of new media is designed specifically for pads/tablets because of the larger screen but don't scale down to hand-sized phones.

Did you find a copy?

If you're talking with me.. Yes, found a copy at a Barnes & Noble today. Good stuff. Took out Manzella article and threw the rest of the mag away.

Now, I have to beg (or, probably bribe) my daughter to let me use her iPad. How much of the inheritance should I hold as ransom if she refuses? :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.