Brian Manzella for Golf Magazine, Golf.com & FRONT9 - Tiger's Hand Move with Irons

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZAP

New
Very nice. Exactly what I was working on in my cold garage these past few days.

You trimming down? Or is that a thinning color?

I disagree with the second part but agree with the first part. I dont think the left wrist is bending rapidly, if it is its well after the ball is gone. I think the fact that you and Tiger can keep that wrist flat from just before impact to just after impact is a major reason why you are both professionals (though Tiger is better than you by a little bit).

if his left wrist is flat at the top, and during release to follow through it goes from arched to bent, that means tiger has added some arch during the first part of the downswing? maybe THAT'S the money move...

I disagree with the second part but agree with the first part. I dont think the left wrist is bending rapidly, if it is its well after the ball is gone. I think the fact that you and Tiger can keep that wrist flat from just before impact to just after impact is a major reason why you are both professionals (though Tiger is better than you by a little bit).

@ 4:04 - at hand low point, as much left wrist arch as possible. From there, the left wrist is bending, but not necessarily bent.

If you stop focusing on a moment (in this case instant) in time you'll begin to see the entire motion that created the collision. Then you don't have to think about it too hard.

that just happend - YouTube

Last edited:

Brian Manzella

Administrator
if his left wrist is flat at the top, and during release to follow through it goes from arched to bent, that means tiger has added some arch during the first part of the downswing? maybe THAT'S the money move...

Just about every really good swinger of the club moves the wrist TOWARD arched in the start down, TOWARD bent toward the end of the 1st phase of the downswing, TOWARD ARCHED pre-impact, THEN RAPIDLY TOWARD BENT through impact!

You can disagree all you want.

You are wrong, right before impact, all of the pros are going toward bent VERY RAPIDLY!!!

@ 4:04 - at hand low point, as much left wrist arch as possible. From there, the left wrist is bending, but not necessarily bent.

:)

what creates the unbending?

Do you ever READ this site?

NEGATIVE ALPHA TORQUE!!!!

Thats a great tip and well explained!

Thanks.

J

NEGATIVE ALPHA TORQUE!!!!

Thanks.

Not understanding it, sorry. Best I can come up with is a slap hinge move.

Here was a picture I found about alpha torques but dont see how I apply that at the impact zone to get my wrist to unbend if that was my intention.

XYZABG.jpg

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Thanks, like most of it until the bending part. I don't see that happening with Tiger as I said in my original reply I am a big believer in the inward pull during the swing, especially with shorter irons.

Sorry Charlie, MASSIVE move toward bent.

Video shows NOTHING.

Anyway....

na.jpg

Gotta remember on some of his swings that divot may be slowing the unbending a lot, but it's still happening.

I would agree with this, its hard to quantify the affect but I know myself on a fat shot that I got slo mo it looks like I did not flip it, and I knew it was a very poor shot.

Just about every really good swinger of the club moves the wrist TOWARD arched in the start down, TOWARD bent toward the end of the 1st phase of the downswing, TOWARD ARCHED pre-impact, THEN RAPIDLY TOWARD BENT through impact!

I assume this relates to the timing of the different alpha/beta/gamma forces in the downswing and when good players apply them, but when I try to match this up with, say a McIlroy swing model illustrating when top players apply the forces, I just don't get what is causing the "toward bent toward the end of the 1st phase of the downswing"...there is this little quirk of "towards bent" interrupting tendency towards arched before final going normal towards bent phase...?

The "rapidly towards bent through impact" is the easy part to understand.

Last edited:

Brian Manzella

Administrator
For the loons out there....we are talking TORQUE here, not movement in the pic.

But the fact remains, the left wrist, right before impact, is rapidly going toward bent in even the most handle-drag looking swings.

Status
Not open for further replies.