Como se dice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or told Tiger in person rather than through the media.

Then again there is no real Tour self policing like I'm used to in baseball. Look at what happened with Valdespin on the Mets from his showbaoting.

Last edited:
Probably something he could have kept to himself

Oh c'mon, it's much more interesting this way. Personally, I think it's time someone stood up to Woods. I've heard about other players being pi**ed off with Woods and his behaviour on the course. Sergio would never have said this about Big Jack because he would have KNOWN it was a mistake. And Big Jack would have apologised. Not Tiger. And, yes, I am a Tiger hater.

True, I have seen nothing from Tiger offering any sense of responsibility. There were a few things he could have done differently in that situation. Oblivious or just too egotistical? I would say both.

While other players have complained about Tiger's behavior before, Tiger was quoted as saying that, in this instance, he was told by the marshals that Sergio had hit his shot before he pulled the club. If that's true, what else should he have done?

Take a look for himself or have his caddie let him know. Or at least say that's what he could have done. Obviously the marshal was wrong.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Take a look for himself or have his caddie let him know. Or at least say that's what he could have done. Obviously the marshal was wrong.

Then what is the point of the marshal? Tiger should've parted the crowd and double checked? Are you serious?

Then what is the point of the marshal? Tiger should've parted the crowd and double checked? Are you serious?

I don't know, what is the point of the marshals?

I've seen other players or their caddies walk around the crowd to see what their playing partner is doing. Ya, he couldn't see for himself and as long as the group wasn't on the clock, I would double check to make sure it was my turn.

Still, Sergio didn't need to take it to the media.

eoscar

Probably something he could have kept to himself

Probably should have, but if he did, he wouldn't be Sergio Garcia. The beauty of Garcia is his inability to filter himself. In a world of political correctness and "status quo" sports interviews Sergio has always said exactly what he feels. Beats the heck out of the "take it one shot a time" bs.

I think Woods won again, quite simply because he is so mentally tough because of his upbringing (obviously a great player too) that nothing phases him. I think the man is unbelievably disturbed. Garcia is a normal person because he had a normal life, and let the situation phase him. Tiger could be a product of Treadstone (Bourne).

I'll be really interested to see what happens to Tiger in later life. By the way, why does he have to chew gum at the prizegiving - he is an embarrassment. JMHO.

The "normal" golfer is brought up playing with players better than him or herself. He spends the early portion of his career trying to stay out of the way and not disturbing anyone while he is learning. Therefor, courtesy of ones playing partners is stamped on the overall process of the player forever. My opinion is that many players start so young that they never spend any time playing with older superior players and this prevents them from learning the simple respect of their playing partner.

1. Tiger has 10,000 people following his group, and because he hit his ball outside the ropes he was surrounded... 5+ people deep on all sides and he's 50 yards from Sergio. Discreetly parting the crowd to see where Sergio was would have been like parting the Red Sea (ie. impossible even with supernatural help).

2. Tiger can not see Sergio.

3. Tiger pulls a club like he did 70 other times during the round. and like a bunch of Bethpage Drunkards, the crowd makes noise. Even if Tiger was to anticipate the crowd's reaction, his reaction says otherwise (as noted by eye witness bystanders). He gestured to the crowd to quiet down, at which point he was told by a Marshall that Sergio had hit already and he was away.

4. The crowd started making noise well before Sergio started his backswing. Not at the top... not at the start... not at impact... but WELL before. If he was disturbed he had ample time to back away. Watch the tape.

5. Sergio never said anything to Tiger's face, but instead chose to go to the media. Tiger didn't know Sergio was spooked by his crowd, he was never told of the issue by Sergio, and therefor never knew it occurred... remember, as far as Tiger knew Sergio had already hit. It is very difficult to apologize for something that you never knew about, and that your playing partner failed to mention while you were playing.

6. Sergio has a history of being a crybaby.

7. Tiger has a history of being a responsible playing partner (note he marked his final putt on Sunday so his partner could finish without fighting the crowd noise).

Haters always need something to hate... but this whole scenario is a real stretch. Tiger did nothing wrong and even if he did, he was never aware of it, nor spoken to about it by Sergio.

Whiners gonna whine.

Winners gonna win.

The whiner whined and the winner won.

/thread

This incident reveals again, quite clearly why Garcia has never and will never achieve his potential. There is so much more to championship golf than hitting the ball. The mind and heart of champions is a rare inner sanctum that most, including Garcia and many of his peers, will never visit in their wildest dreams. Guys like Woods and Jordan go inside when all around them are looking outside for answers and excuses and distractions that keep them good but not great. Nick Faldo knows this better than all the guys in the booth. And he articulates it the best. "Inner" self belief" and "picture the best shot you've ever hit here and just execute it"....brilliant stuff!

Garcia hasn't got what it takes - he has said this himself. He is a whiner. He is a pain in the ar$e.

But Tiger was still out of order, not because of what he did on that hole, but because he couldn't apologise and simply say "If I put him off his shot I'm sorry, it was not intentional." That was all it would have taken. But the whole thing happened to fast for his management team to tell him what to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.