Como se dice

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmyt

New
If professional golf is a free for all, where you have a right to put your opponent off by making noises and moving about when he is playing then we have entered a new era. Thanks Tiger.

This is an absurd comment.....as if this hasn't been going on for decades

You're right jimmy, but it's a question of "how much" and where are the limits.

Seve was pretty blatant especially in his younger days, Foldo was hard as nails and knew how to wind his opponent up, Gary Player was not quite the gentleman he is now (according to some reports) and I suppose this gives Tiger some justification for his "win at all costs" mentality.

You're right jimmy, but it's a question of "how much" and where are the limits.

Seve was pretty blatant especially in his younger days, Foldo was hard as nails and knew how to wind his opponent up, Gary Player was not quite the gentleman he is now (according to some reports) and I suppose this gives Tiger some justification for his "win at all costs" mentality.

Fairways, greens, make some putts, don't choke. Simple stuff.

Michael Jordan and Tiger have always been enormous douchebags! I imagine that that helps explains why they've been so successful.

My comment was in reference to golf and gamesmanship. Tiger may be extremely successful, but he's still chasing the greatest gentleman the game has seen.

I was at a tournament many many years in which Jack and Arnold were paired together. I got close to the tee of a par 3 they were playing. Jack hit first. He came up short of the green. He says to Angelo, his caddie, "that's as good as I can hit a 5 iron" as he hands him the 6 he just hit. Arnold takes a 4 and buries it in the back bunker.

In the heat of the battle I have been a DB, because i wanted to beat the DB I was playing against. But I never "cheated" (took an illegal drop, improved my lie, made noises while my opponent was playing, etc) because for me my self respect and personal integrity were more important than winning against a DB or anyone else. Some people see it differently - some people want to win so bad that they can't control themselves in the heat of the battle. Or at the bar.;)

Tiger Woods Looks Maybe Drunk in These Photos with Lindsey Vonn after the Met Gala | Big Lead Sports

Marshalsayswhat....

In the third round, on the 2nd hole, Woods hit a poor tee shot into the left trees. García hit a better tee shot, on the right side of the fairway. If the players had been communicating properly, García and Woods, or their caddies, would have established an order of play. But there was nothing like that. García, playing out of turn but not able to see Woods, was disrupted as he started his swing by a modest cheer from the woods, where a large group of spectators had surrounded Tiger, forming a human V around his ball. The cheers were a response to Woods’s pulling a five-wood out of his bag, meaning that he was going to attempt an absurdly difficult recovery shot. García, after fatting his shot, turned his round chin in Woods’s direction and glared.

“It’s very simple,” García said during an NBC interview. “You have to pay attention to what’s going on because the other guy is hitting. You do something when you’re in the crowd, and the crowd is going to respond.”

Returning serve, Woods said, “The marshals, they told me he already hit, so I pulled a club and was getting ready to play my shot, and then I hear his comments afterward and it’s not real surprising that he’s complaining about something.”

Well, when they heard that remark from Woods, the marshals were surprised. One of them, Gary Anderson, said on Sunday, “He didn’t ask us nothing, and we didn’t say nothing. We’re told not to talk to the players.”

Anderson’s boss, John North, was the chief marshal for the first three holes. He stood over Woods’s ball to protect it from the throng and was five feet away when Woods played his shot. North has worked the tournament as a volunteer marshal for 30 years, he’s a graduate of the Naval Academy, he served in Vietnam, he’s a FedEx pilot and he donates his round on the Stadium course for being a volunteer to the Wounded Warriors project.

“Nothing was said to us and we certainly said nothing to him,” North said. “I was disappointed to hear him make those remarks. We’re there to help the players and enhance the experience of the fans. He was saying what was good for him. It lacked character.”

Hours later, his workweek done, North watched the tournament on TV in a military appreciation tent. “I hate to say it, but I was rooting for him,” North said of Woods. “It tears me apart. But when he’s winning..."

From Sports Illustrated

Uh-oh...

Woods was not made available for comment but his agent, Mark Steinberg, said Wednesday: "The comments from the marshals in today's story definitively show that Tiger was telling the truth about being told Sergio had hit. I hope this demonstrates to some reporters the importance of accuracy and not jumping to misplaced conclusions.''

Tiger Woods TPC flap -- Course marshals dispute first account, report says - ESPN

Grasping at straws. How embarrassing. Lance Armstrong never took drugs. He said so.

bunny+%2B+pancake.jpg

I was at a tournament many many years in which Jack and Arnold were paired together. I got close to the tee of a par 3 they were playing. Jack hit first. He came up short of the green. He says to Angelo, his caddie, "that's as good as I can hit a 5 iron" as he hands him the 6 he just hit. Arnold takes a 4 and buries it in the back bunker.

I was referring to Hogan....just kidding

But,

That's great! go out and try to beat your opponents by misleading them or trying to get under their skin. I'll do it like a man and beat 'em good and honest. AND after they take their beat'n from me the only thing they will be able to say is "that dude is just better than me and great to play with".

ej20

New
I think certain forms of gamesmanship is acceptable.After all,it is a competitive sport.If you believe your opponent when he says he just a 5i the best he could and still ended up short of the green,then you are just plain naive and deserve being sucked in.Lesson learnt and will smarten you up in the future.I doubt Hogan would have fallen for that one.More likely he would have been the perpetrator.

Coughing during your opponents backswing is just plain cheating.Ballesteros seemed to have a permanent throat disorder.

Extremely competive people are never easy to play with and they will try to make you feel uncomfortable.They certainly won't go out of their way to make you feel at ease.It's just their nature.It could be in a form of a subtle comment.You just got to learn to deal with it if you want to play competitive golf because there is always going to be those types.

Couldn't agree more with ej and Lindsey here. Golf is like life - there are limits which some people can "sense". Once you go beyond them you go from gamesmanship into cheating, from a$$hole to sociopath, from leader to dictator, from principled to brainwashed.

An old guy told me that even in depths of WWII the Germans knew that they were fighting against people on the western front and something else on the eastern. Limits - that's the difference.

Kind of amazing that a story comes out from a marshal that exonerates Tiger yet the bashing continues as though he was utilizing gamesmanship to get an edge. Don't let facts get in the way of a good bashing.

Status
Not open for further replies.