Dan Gilbert's Letter to the Cav Fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Seems like you have the same kind of passion he does...WOW

Cavaliers: Open Letter to Fans from Cavaliers Majority Owner Dan Gilbert

Dear Cleveland, All Of Northeast Ohio and Cleveland Cavaliers Supporters Wherever You May Be Tonight;

As you now know, our former hero, who grew up in the very region that he deserted this evening, is no longer a Cleveland Cavalier.

This was announced with a several day, narcissistic, self-promotional build-up culminating with a national TV special of his "decision" unlike anything ever "witnessed" in the history of sports and probably the history of entertainment.

Clearly, this is bitterly disappointing to all of us.

The good news is that the ownership team and the rest of the hard-working, loyal, and driven staff over here at your hometown Cavaliers have not betrayed you nor NEVER will betray you.

There is so much more to tell you about the events of the recent past and our more than exciting future. Over the next several days and weeks, we will be communicating much of that to you.

You simply don't deserve this kind of cowardly betrayal.

You have given so much and deserve so much more.

In the meantime, I want to make one statement to you tonight:

"I PERSONALLY GUARANTEE THAT THE CLEVELAND CAVALIERS WILL WIN AN NBA CHAMPIONSHIP BEFORE THE SELF-TITLED FORMER ‘KING’ WINS ONE"

You can take it to the bank.

If you thought we were motivated before tonight to bring the hardware to Cleveland, I can tell you that this shameful display of selfishness and betrayal by one of our very own has shifted our "motivation" to previously unknown and previously never experienced levels.

Some people think they should go to heaven but NOT have to die to get there.

Sorry, but that's simply not how it works.

This shocking act of disloyalty from our home grown "chosen one" sends the exact opposite lesson of what we would want our children to learn. And "who" we would want them to grow-up to become.

But the good news is that this heartless and callous action can only serve as the antidote to the so-called "curse" on Cleveland, Ohio.

The self-declared former "King" will be taking the "curse" with him down south. And until he does "right" by Cleveland and Ohio, James (and the town where he plays) will unfortunately own this dreaded spell and bad karma.

Just watch.

Sleep well, Cleveland.

Tomorrow is a new and much brighter day....

I PROMISE you that our energy, focus, capital, knowledge and experience will be directed at one thing and one thing only:

DELIVERING YOU the championship you have long deserved and is long overdue....

Dan Gilbert
Majority Owner
Cleveland Cavaliers

Seems like sour grapes to me. Not to mention a bit childish and unprofessional. With that kind of logic, no one would ever leave their home town in pursuit of a better, higher paying job. This is still America, we are free to work where we want, and where we are wanted.

That whole thing is just a marketing ploy. "Please don't stop paying to go to our games. Rabble Rabble!"

The Lebron showcase was the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen, though.

I'm not sure how this guy made his money, but I certainly wouldn't want to work for him. Imagine the fear his employees will have that are thinking of leaving for another job. If they thought Dan was going to give them a good recommendation, they may have second thoughts now. I hope the Cavs lose 82 games next year.

ssssc

New
Seems like sour grapes to me. Not to mention a bit childish and unprofessional. With that kind of logic, no one would ever leave their home town in pursuit of a better, higher paying job. This is still America, we are free to work where we want, and where we are wanted.

yup, what chip said!!!

ps
i cant post the link here, but i just read an article on how high tax rates may have been a reason for picking florida. taxes he would have paid:

1) new york --- 12 million
2) ohio --- 5.5 million
3) new jersey --- 10 million
4) florida --- 0

i do not watch basketball, so i could care less where he plays! but, i am glad he has chosen the state that chooses not to penalize the productive!!!

pss
you may google the word "LeBronomics" to read the entire article

Last edited:
First, I believe that this is the college signing ceremony that Lebron never got because he went straight to the NBA instead of going to college. I've never really seen anything like this in pro sports. Particularly for somebody who has yet to win a title.

I think Lebron is amazing, but I do think he desperately seeks attention. I noticed this in a game I was flipping thru on the TV. He was injured and on the bench in street clothes. And he made sure to act like a completely idiot every time his team scored and made sure the camera and the crowd noticed. Why? Because he wanted the attention for himself.

I wonder how this will work with Wade and Bosh there. Plus Pat Riley is one of my all-time hated coaches. His style of basketball practically ruined the NBA for me.

3JACK

Maybe this guy should have surrounded LeBron with some decent players and maybe he wouldn't be gone. When you get to the stage of wealth like LeBron has many people simply choose to take less money and go somewhere so that they can win. I don't fault LeBron for wanting to play for championships but the circus he created was an outright joke.

Dan Gilbert sounds like a petulant child, and the religious undertones? C'mon, I hope they they set a record for NBA futility, and the HEat beat them by 50 next year.
The Cavs had no contingency plans for Lebron's impending free agency.
Shaq was a stop gap signing to deal with Howard for 1- 2 years; oops forgot about Boston.
Jamison was a terrible signing, as he essentially plays a very similar position to Lebron @ SF.
PGs haven't worked out for the Cavs either.

Lebron chose winning. His individual marketability was not maximized. His NBA salary was not maximized. His image was laid out for criticism for all the hoopla surrounding this decision. Despite all of that, he chose Miami in hopes of winning a bunch of titles.

Dan Gilbert comes off as a clown.

Professional athletes pay taxes in every state they play in. If they receive a game check in a state, they have pay taxes in that state.

The bulk of his income would be untaxed but when they travel to play, they pay.

This may comfort an 11 year old who has Cavs posters hanging in his bedroom, but for anyone making more than an 11 year old’s weekly allowance – this is ru-tarded.

After reading what the fragile captain of the Cav Nation has to say, it’s no wonder why they couldn’t attract anything better than Antawn Jamison – and no wonder why Labron chose South Beach of Gilbert's fictional Title Town.

Unless this guys has never cut a player or traded a player, he is killing Ferry’s job of attracting top free agents. Loyalty in professional sports (from either side) runs about as deep as the Cav’s bench. It’s a big boy business – you got out recruited by a better franchise, deal with it. The rest of college basketball is having to get used to it too! :eek::D

I'm no expert and I'm not 100% positive, but I believe the "Larry Bird Exception" would have allowed Cleveland to sign LeBron to a longer contract with more phased-in increases to base salary (something like 10.5%). While the theory about not paying taxes in FL makes sense, I believe the ultimate earnings in OH would have outweighed the tax benefits accrued in Miami. Could easily be mistaken however - the NPV calculations could show otherwise.

I think we witnessed one of the most egotistical and self serving events ever broadcast. I know the proceeds are going to charity, but why would you take an hour long dump on the city that showed you nothing but love? This felt trecherous - like he was thumbing his nose at the city and ownership.

I fully respect his desire to win championships and actually understand why he would make his decision but I find it extremely unfortunate that he didn't find a more palatable manner to make his announcement. Some people may compare this to TO in his driveway - but honestly in that scenario TO was the joke. This time LBJ made Cleveland and the ESPN viewer the joke.

I loved Dan Gilbert's passion in that letter. If anything I'm more of a fan of Cleveland now....
To compare this scenario to a typical employee leaving their job just doesn't ring true for me. I agree that you can get letters of recommendation from a former employer, but only if you conduct your job hunt in the right way and inform the right people at the right time. Otherwise you're likely to get a similar reaction - I see it happen at the consultancy I work for all the time.

Unless this guys has never cut a player or traded a player, he is killing Ferry’s job of attracting top free agents. Loyalty in professional sports (from either side) runs about as deep as the Cav’s bench. It’s a big boy business – you got out recruited by a better franchise, deal with it. The rest of college basketball is having to get used to it too! :eek::D

Danny Ferry got canned because he couldn't build a team around LeBron - Gilbert is hardly incapable of making tough decisions. In fact Ferry getting fired was likely a sop to LeBron and his "camp" of advisors.

And while I don't agree that the Heat are a better franchise (the sight of Ronnie Seikly's jersey in the rafters is more enticing than Mark Price, Brad Daugherty and Larry Nance? Riles drafting Beasley and signing Jermaine O'Neal are better moves than JJ Hickson and Antawn Jamison?), I understand it's a business and I don't blame him for making the change - just the manner in which he made it is really tough to swallow.

I can understand that, but IMO, Gilbert's handling of the James' business decision is far worse. I don't see anything in that letter that would attract a top free agent - which is exactly what he'll be trying to do, and what he is blaming Labron for doing. To play the "family" and "loyalty" card is a complete small time move in a big time business. He and his staff try every season to entice better talent into being disloyal and leaving the families of other NBA teams. He should thank Labron for taking his franchise from a joke to contender - for making them instantly more marketable, profitable, and relevant that Price, Nance, Harper, and Daugherty combined.

From a Clevelander

Maybe Mr. Gilbert's reply is a bit harsh in a politically correct professional world, but as Clevelander, I fully understand the reply and I found it satisfying. You can read all the stories posted all over the media but people in Cleveland know that Dan did everything in his power to make LeBron happy and got nothing but a lack of respect in return. LeBron made a promise in the media to Northeast Ohio and did not deliver. What I admire about Brian Manzella is his passion for his ideas, the truth, and his expression on his forum. We don't know if Dan Gilbert is 100% truth, but he sure has passion and expression regarding his team.

Professional athletes pay taxes in every state they play in. If they receive a game check in a state, they have pay taxes in that state.

The bulk of his income would be untaxed but when they travel to play, they pay.

The big tax advantage comes with the endorsements where they would be considered earned in Florida. That's why Tiger moved and continues to live in Florida.

LeBron's decision to me is weak....he is saying that as the best player in basketball, he needs the second or third best player in the league plus another All-Star to win a title. After his first 6 dry seasons in Chicago (with a team improving as it went along, much like LeBron's Cavs) did MJ say that he was getting no support in Chicago and wanted to go to Detroit to play with Isaiah to win titles? Hell no!

MJ would never ride someone else's coat tails to glory...he allowed the Bulls to patiently add the pieces around him.

Then of course LeBron taking a dump in public on a city that has already had more sports heartbreak than nearly any other, is just plain obnoxious. Between him and Tiger, who is advising these athletes on how to manage their public image?

I like Dan Gilbert's letter. He is obviously mad as hell, there's clearly more to the story (like Cleveland coddling LBJ for 7 years, putting his friends on the payroll, building the practice facility closer to his house, etc), and he seems to truly believe he will win a title before LBJ...and I hope he does. There certainly won't be a more motivated owner in the league, that's for sure.

Finally, this whole Cherry Picking business by stars to try to win titles has gotten worse and worse, until this deal topped them all. Honestly, is Luke Walton's legacy in the game better than Dirk Nowitzki's because he gets to pick splinters out of his butt while watching Kobe win titles?

This same player that Gilbert is trashing, and is saying 'quit on his team' during the Boston series is the one he wanted so desperately to keep?
Why is Dan mad that a narcissistic, selfish, egotistical player opted to leave his beloved franchise?
Oh yea, because it's now worth about 70% less than it was just a couple weeks ago. Because his business investment is turned upside down.

Why trash a guy who, up until last night, you supposedly cared so much about keeping?

Gilbert's pandering to his fan base, conservative Ohioans, and looking to deflect the criticism by pinning the blame on a 20 something yr old basketball player leaving his decrepit town to play with 2 superstars in a more glamorous city. For less money, and with hopes of winning titles.

Sure MJ eventually did it in Chicago, and obviously MJs ego made it such that he needed the glory that eventually came his way. Lebron apparently isn't concerned with diminishing his individual image in order to potentially win a few NBA championships. It's a TEAM sport, and Wade, James, & Bosh are making less money to play together.

Barkley chased titles at the end of his career, so did Karl Malone, Garnett did it, Shaq's still doing it. James is just doing it now in his prime.
The Lakers pulled off the most lopsided, controversial trade in NBA history to secure Kobe a shot at more rings.

Maybe he'll throw some more heaven & god references in there to stir the collective Ohio pot of hate directed at Lebron in the coming weeks.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
LeBron's decision to me is weak....he is saying that as the best player in basketball, he needs the second or third best player in the league plus another All-Star to win a title. After his first 6 dry seasons in Chicago (with a team improving as it went along, much like LeBron's Cavs) did MJ say that he was getting no support in Chicago and wanted to go to Detroit to play with Isaiah to win titles? Hell no!

MJ would never ride someone else's coat tails to glory...he allowed the Bulls to patiently add the pieces around him.

Then of course LeBron taking a dump in public on a city that has already had more sports heartbreak than nearly any other, is just plain obnoxious. Between him and Tiger, who is advising these athletes on how to manage their public image?

I like Dan Gilbert's letter. He is obviously mad as hell, there's clearly more to the story (like Cleveland coddling LBJ for 7 years, putting his friends on the payroll, building the practice facility closer to his house, etc), and he seems to truly believe he will win a title before LBJ...and I hope he does. There certainly won't be a more motivated owner in the league, that's for sure.

Finally, this whole Cherry Picking business by stars to try to win titles has gotten worse and worse, until this deal topped them all. Honestly, is Luke Walton's legacy in the game better than Dirk Nowitzki's because he gets to pick splinters out of his butt while watching Kobe win titles?

FTW!

BTW, James & his friends are the people who are influencing "him." It shows in the immaturity of all of this. One of my local radio guys said it best, "LeBron just broke up with Cleveland on NATIONAL TV and then spent the next 40min saying its me not you."

lol

Easy on the MJ comparisons. Jordan didn't do anything patiently - let's not forget his HoF speech. Nor did he win any championships without another HoF player right next to him. It typically takes at least 2 HoF types to hold the golden basketball at the end. It's been 7 years and the best they got was Boozer for year 8?

How long is his impactful career going to be - 14 years tops? He's given half of that to Cleveland who's taken a step backwards in the East.

I'm sorry, but I'll partner in a 3 man scramble every time with Tiger and Phil over Sergio and Tommy 2 Gloves - no matter what city its in.:D:p

Status
Not open for further replies.