Doping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
I said it many times that it was just a matter of time. I know it's just deer antler spray but you watch.....

People are so naive if they think this isn't going on in golf.

I agree. In 2005, i heard a future Ryder Cupper say that you either work out like crazy or dope.

It was pretty depressing....because I do neither.

The Tour has nothing to gain by busting one of its stars.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
I don't get the entire thing. Why is it pooh poohed in football, but everybody wants the records stricken in cycling and baseball. If this gets widespread and they have to suspend the Tours stars, I don't like to think about what that will do to golf. The galleries will be merciless to those guys when they return. I have no answers.

I wonder how much they are really testing? and how stringent it really is.

I believe that their are some guys doping, however, I also believe there is some doping on the lpga as well.

I will say, that I think the problem in golf is probably way less than other sports. I look at some of these guys in the NFL, built like bodybuilders, but very few seem to get caught.

I wonder how much they are really testing? and how stringent it really is.

I believe that their are some guys doping, however, I also believe there is some doping on the lpga as well.

I will say, that I think the problem in golf is probably way less than other sports. I look at some of these guys in the NFL, built like bodybuilders, but very few seem to get caught.

That's because the NFL doesn't want them to be caught. It is a billion $$ industry. And I'd bet many of those in a position to do something about this problem won't because they have their hand in the cookie jar. People love to see "freak" athletes! We all know inside some 300# lineman isn't running a 4'6 40 without some help. And if they start testing for HGH, I guarantee you there will be holes in the testing, and players will find other ways to get PED's. Hell, I was a personal trainer years ago, and I knew guys who competed in "natural" bodybuilding contests and they were taking stuff and beating the tests even then - and that was for peanuts compared to the $$ these guys are playing for. Why do you think baseball turned a blind eye as long as they could regarding steroids?

bcoak

New
Have an acquaintance who works for a major league baseball team and he said the things they are doing is crazy (in terms of drugs and how they get it in their body). There is no way to keep up. Almost at the point where they should legalize some of it and make sure it is being administered correctly. Have a banned list, but also have an approved list

Perversion of anything is inevidible. If your not willing to risk everything then get in your car and go to work like everyone else. There is no such thing as fair and the greatness of a man typically comes down to how far he is willing to go.

I hate the fact that a fair competition in sports and life doesn't exist, but it's fact.

Dudes on tour have been doing beta blockers, booze and everything else they can since day 1.

Fascinating subject that doesn't get discussed enough. If a guy like Luke Donald is doping, doesn't it help his short-game nerves more than his driver / long irons?

Fascinating subject that doesn't get discussed enough. If a guy like Luke Donald is doping, doesn't it help his short-game nerves more than his driver / long irons?

I'm sure it would really depend on what someone were taking. Doping is a pretty broad subject. Pick your poison. Need to be stronger and faster? There's stuff for that. Need to calm your nerves? There's stuff for that. Having trouble sleeping, or trouble waking up from traveling? There's stuff for that. Just need to heal up a little faster? There's stuff for that.

[..]There is no such thing as fair and the greatness of a man typically comes down to how far he is willing to go.

I hate the fact that a fair competition in sports and life doesn't exist, but it's fact.

Disagree. Not taking substances on the banned list is fair. Proper testing for banned substances is fair. Enforcement of the rules is fair.

Making cheating sound heroic perverts the meaning of sport.

natep

New
Dudes on tour have been doing beta blockers, booze and everything else they can since day 1.

I think the ability to get rid of all nerves through beta-blockers would be more beneficial and perhaps more common than the steroids, etc.

Do they test for those at all?

Perversion of anything is inevidible. If your not willing to risk everything then get in your car and go to work like everyone else. There is no such thing as fair and the greatness of a man typically comes down to how far he is willing to go.

I think the ability to get rid of all nerves through beta-blockers would be more beneficial and perhaps more common than the steroids, etc.

Do they test for those at all?

I have no idea if there is a test for beta-blockers. It's funny though, I'm a musician and I take them. No one in my world thinks anything of it, in fact 2 of my teachers had given me some to try before I got a prescription. They work for some people, others think they dull your senses and reaction too much. I guess I'm a doper....

Found out yesterday that the tour does not test for HGH - whaaat? How do you have an "anti-doping" policy and not test for HGH?

ej20

New
Certain anabolic steroids can give you added strength without the muscle bulk.I cannot see how this would not give you an advantage especially on courses pushing 7500 yards.It would also help you recover faster after practicing and gym work.

Found out yesterday that the tour does not test for HGH - whaaat? How do you have an "anti-doping" policy and not test for HGH?

M

HGH tests, as of last I knew, can only be done via a blood test, and are much more expensive to test for. Plus - I wonder if they really want these guys to get caught... distance sells.

Disagree. Not taking substances on the banned list is fair. Proper testing for banned substances is fair. Enforcement of the rules is fair.

Making cheating sound heroic perverts the meaning of sport.

You may have misunderstood my thoughts. Cheating is not heroic in my mind. My point is that society secretly accepts doing whatever it takes to be successful

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
A student told me a huge percentage of medical students take Ambien to stay alert while studying. It is a performance enhancing drug. Wait till the first malpractice lawsuit that finds out he doctor was on Ambien.

Status
Not open for further replies.