Driver fitting tomorrow...any advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
After an almost 10 year run, I'm finally replacing my 975d. What do I need to know going into it? What should I expect, and how do I get the most out of it?

After an almost 10 year run, I'm finally replacing my 975d. What do I need to know going into it? What should I expect, and how do I get the most out of it?

Don't need anything, just swing away and find the club that fits. In my experience, your first few hits are the most accurate depiction of how the clubs fits you, after a handful of shots you will start subconsciously adjusting to make the ball flight better.

Find a club/shaft combo that fits you best, don't try to make the club fit you if that makes sense.

Oh, and try the Cleveland Classic :p

S

SteveT

Keep your 975's and use them as "refresh" clubs... and occasionally go back to them when your new clubs go stale as they invariably will... ;)

You better get it done with a Trackman or else you're just guessing. You need a landing angle between 38-40* to maximize distance and try to keep the shot at a maximum height of 30 yards high. Anything else and it will be ballooning. (These numbers might change depending upon your clubhead speed and ball speed). There are a lot of variables in play.

Are you getting fitted on Trackman?

I'd make sure the balls you are hitting are consistent with each other(condition/brand/type). I got on a launch monitor at a golf galaxy and tried a bunch of new drivers. After a while I asked to hit some prov's instead of the srixon range balls. The difference in launch and spin was dramatic.

So, my advice would be to limit at least one variable (the ball) - you want to measure the driver's performance as best you can.

You better get it done with a Trackman or else you're just guessing. You need a landing angle between 38-40* to maximize distance and try to keep the shot at a maximum height of 30 yards high. Anything else and it will be ballooning. (These numbers might change depending upon your clubhead speed and ball speed). There are a lot of variables in play.

It's on Trackman. I wouldn't do it any other way. I'm trying to get as much out of this as I can; I want my distance output to at least be close to what it should be. TM or Flightscope measurements are the only way for me to be sure I'm on the right track...

Agree with cwlaw223. However, this is not always possible. At the minimum I would do at a place with a launch monitor and an outdoor range. There are various levels of fitting carts. The guys that do the demo days have more shafts. Ask them whether you can test a shorter than standard shaft. I have done the Trackman fitting and it really is the best.

Are you getting fitted on Trackman?

I'd make sure the balls you are hitting are consistent with each other(condition/brand/type). I got on a launch monitor at a golf galaxy and tried a bunch of new drivers. After a while I asked to hit some prov's instead of the srixon range balls. The difference in launch and spin was dramatic.
So, my advice would be to limit at least one variable (the ball) - you want to measure the driver's performance as best you can.

Did the range balls spin more or less? This is the launch variable that I'll be watching most closely, along with ballspeed.

Did the range balls spin more or less? This is the launch variable that I'll be watching most closely, along with ballspeed.

Spun more. I wish I had the printout to give you all the numbers. From what I remember, the range balls did not "carry" nearly as far either (talking 15-20 yards). Overall better numbers with the premium ball.

That's great you're getting on trackman. I'm jealous!

It's on Trackman. I wouldn't do it any other way. I'm trying to get as much out of this as I can; I want my distance output to at least be close to what it should be. TM or Flightscope measurements are the only way for me to be sure I'm on the right track...

The landing angle and max height issues are huge and non existent on regular launch monitors. Your club head speed will alter a lot of variables. Also, don't be afraid of shafts with greater than 3.0* torque. I hope my post helped and good luck.

The 910 D3 is a very great driver and try it out.

The landing angle and max height issues are huge and non existent on regular launch monitors. Your club head speed will alter a lot of variables. Also, don't be afraid of shafts with greater than 3.0* torque. I hope my post helped and good luck.

Why not be afraid of more than 3* of torque? I'm curious. As a higher speed, higher handicap player, I sure was already leaning toward looking for something low-torque, assuming that's what I'd need. Oops?

BTW, I'd love to try the Titleist. Might even do so for giggles. But every time I think "Titleist", I think "$"; makes me nervous :)

Last edited:
S

SteveT

......... Also, don't be afraid of shafts with greater than 3.0* torque. I hope my post helped and good luck.

Could you be a bit more explanatory why he should not fear shaft torque greater than 3.0º, because that is quite a specific recommendation you make?

As for the Titleist 910 D3 driver... why do you conclude that it's a "great" driver?

I went to the Titleist website and for that driver I note they say it is a "deep-faced" driver for better trajectory control. This made me think.

The D3 has weight screws to pull the driver head CofG back and lower. If you do this, you will enhance the "vertical gear effect" of the deeper face and will create a range of backspins from top to bottom of the driver face. Is this why you think it's a "great" driver.. it has a wide variation of anti-backspin (aka topspin)?

Could you be a bit more explanatory why he should not fear shaft torque greater than 3.0º, because that is quite a specific recommendation you make?

As for the Titleist 910 D3 driver... why do you conclude that it's a "great" driver?

I went to the Titleist website and for that driver I note they say it is a "deep-faced" driver for better trajectory control. This made me think.

The D3 has weight screws to pull the driver head CofG back and lower. If you do this, you will enhance the "vertical gear effect" of the deeper face and will create a range of backspins from top to bottom of the driver face. Is this why you think it's a "great" driver.. it has a wide variation of anti-backspin (aka topspin)?

Read Tom Wishon's materials and watch his materials. Tom believes 3.5* torque is the minimum torque. The D3 has nothing to do with vertical gear effect. In fact, Wishon's drivers have NO roll to the driver.

I suggest you spend more time with a club fitter instead of coming up with your own theories by deductive reasoning.

Read Tom Wishon's materials and watch his videos. Tom believes 3.5* torque is the minimum torque. The D3 has nothing to do with vertical gear effect. In fact, Wishon's drivers have NO roll to the driver.

I suggest you spend more time with a club fitter instead of coming up with your own theories by deductive reasoning.

Read Tom Wishon's materials and watch his videos. Tom believes 3.5* torque is the minimum torque for most (I picked 3.0). My D3 recommendation has nothing to do with vertical gear effect. Why don't you hit the club before you make conclusions? In fact, Wishon's drivers have NO roll. I suggest you spend more time with a club fitter instead of coming up with your own theories by deductive reasoning.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.