Driver fitting tomorrow...any advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, I plugged my numbers into the Trajectory optimizer on Flightscope. My real-life carry was 20-30 yards shorter than what the optimizer spit out. There may have been a slight breeze (MAYBE), but could the cold air (it was around freezing) account for that big a loss in carry distance?? That seems like an awful lot of yardage, just from cold air. Any insights?

Also, I plugged my numbers into the Trajectory optimizer on Flightscope. My real-life carry was 20-30 yards shorter than what the optimizer spit out. There may have been a slight breeze (MAYBE), but could the cold air (it was around freezing) account for that big a loss in carry distance?? That seems like an awful lot of yardage, just from cold air. Any insights?

Just going by what I have heard, and have experienced to a degree, ( no pun intended! ) I would say that is a definite possibility. I thought I read somewhere that you lose a yard of carry for every 2 degrees under 70 degrees or something along that line?

Wishon has a new driver head for this year that can be hand selected a couple dregrees open and for loft, and then can be bent a couple degrees more open (and for loft) by way of a softer hosel. The net should get you in the 4-5 degree open range. It can also be modified for weight which can increase the overal club's MOI which should help with the hooking.

I was reading about this head the other night thinking who in the world would need a face angle that open? Now I know... you and Cwdlaw.:)

I thought it was common knowledge that everything is shorter when it's cold.

shrinkage.gif

When I did my Miles of Golf fitting, they told me that Trackman compensates for head wind. Not sure about temperature.

Did you use the yellow range balls, or the white playing balls? I ask because while I hit it pretty bad, I did hit some on the screws, and the best smash factor I got was 1.44. I never got to 170 ballspeed, and I was living above 115 clubspeed when I was fresh and warmed up. I was expecting more with a new driver with 7.75 degrees of loft (or whatever it was).

Last edited:
I only remember that the subject came up and the fitter assured me they had it covered. Also addressed Trackman compensating for head wind and I think for temperature. My problem was too much spin. Went through the Titleist D2 and D3 heads with various shafts. At that time it was the 909 series. Couldn't get the spin down. Ended up with a G15 9 degree and the stiff shaft from the I15. I hit that combo the best on that particular day. The driver that arrived from the factory appeared identical, but I simply could not make it perform on the course. I started screwing around with it, trying different shafts. Finally, I went and did another fitting, non-trackman, and settled on the 910 D3 with the Aldila RIP 60 Stiff shaft. I search for the perfect Driver continues.

I only remember that the subject came up and the fitter assured me they had it covered. Also addressed Trackman compensating for head wind and I think for temperature. My problem was too much spin. Went through the Titleist D2 and D3 heads with various shafts. At that time it was the 909 series. Couldn't get the spin down. Ended up with a G15 9 degree and the stiff shaft from the I15. I hit that combo the best on that particular day. The driver that arrived from the factory appeared identical, but I simply could not make it perform on the course. I started screwing around with it, trying different shafts. Finally, I went and did another fitting, non-trackman, and settled on the 910 D3 with the Aldila RIP 60 Stiff shaft. I search for the perfect Driver continues.

Tell me about it. I didn't realize how much went into finding a properly fit driver. I'm still online trying to find an affordable, low-launch, low-spin shaft. I figured that I'd go from old club to new club in no time. Rookie mistake :)

Tell me about it. I didn't realize how much went into finding a properly fit driver. I'm still online trying to find an affordable, low-launch, low-spin shaft. I figured that I'd go from old club to new club in no time. Rookie mistake :)

BigWil - see if you can find an Aldila NV in a flex that suits that crazy a$$ swing speed! Good place to start at least

My problem was too much spin. Went through the Titleist D2 and D3 heads with various shafts. At that time it was the 909 series. Couldn't get the spin down. Ended up with a G15 9 degree and the stiff shaft from the I15. I hit that combo the best on that particular day. The driver that arrived from the factory appeared identical, but I simply could not make it perform on the course. I started screwing around with it, trying different shafts. Finally, I went and did another fitting, non-trackman, and settled on the 910 D3 with the Aldila RIP 60 Stiff shaft. I search for the perfect Driver continues.

Go back to the fitter with the trackman and take your driver and irons with you. Hit shots with the driver until you are happy with it and then switch to the irons and keep hitting them till your also happy with them. Then switch back to the driver but only hit one shot, then the irons for 3-5 shots and then the driver again.

If your driver doesn't continue to produce good shots when switching between driver and irons there is a mismatch in the combination. Could be an driver shaft weigth issue.

"If your driver doesn't continue to produce good shots when switching between driver and irons there is a mismatch in the combination. Could be an driver shaft weigth issue."

Exactly what I have been thinking. Re-visiting Miles of Golf, trackman fitter, is not practical since they are about 1,000 miles away. I was on a business trip when that took place. About 2 years ago, I bought a 909 3 wood with a VooDoo Stiff Shaft, and a Titleist Hybrid, can't remember the model, but same Voodoo Stiff shaft for Hybrids. They just never felt consistent to me.

So last summer I attended a Titleist Demo day in Knoxville. I did this because I was asking the fitter about heavier shafts for those clubs. He didn't have them, and recommended attendance at the Demo day. It was not crowded so the Rep had plenty of time for me.
We tried the 910 F 3 wood with various shafts. The shaft that gave me the feeling of control was a UST ProForce V2 86 gram Stiff. We did the same for the 19 - 20.5 degree 910H Hybrid. He went directly to the Fujikura Motore F3 95 gram stiff. Same results. I have been happy with both of these clubs.

I have been thinking that the 63 gram shaft in the Driver is just too light for my swing motion. I would gladly give up a little yardage if I could control my Driver like my 4 iron, or Hybrid. Need to re-visit the Titleist rep, who is also a pro at a Knoxville Club.

Status
Not open for further replies.